Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Presumably this was an electrician recommended by Tesla? this seems to be a pattern with recommended electricians. Not sure either what "Tesla specified installation" means. might pose these questions in the HPWC thread to see what others think but while Tesla may be accumulating some best practices, these installations should not require anything more than wiring to code. That being said, I can't say if this is a bad price or not as my price was built into other electrical work and in any case my electrician messed up. I do vaguely recall that relatively long runs can really push the cost up, presumably this gauge (#3) is fairly expensive.
Thanks for your reply...It seems he will be certified by Tesla after his training ,he is aware of the Installation guide, he said raw material 500, inspection pass certificate 200 and the rest labour (800) = 1,500/. He said he is aware of out code.

Thanks for your reply...It seems he will be certified by Tesla after his training ,he is aware of the Installation guide, he said raw material 500, inspection pass certificate 200 and the rest labour (800) = 1,500/. He said he is aware of out code.

Just wondering.. Will you be driving your TESLA alot. Many tesla owners that have opted for high amperage for their charger at home would do thing differently after they had their tesla for few months from NEW.. Most of them realize that 40 to 50amp suffice for daily use. A lower amperage will be much cheaper and easier to install. Perhaps you might even be able to do it yourself. It is not brain surgery. One breaker, a red black and white wire, and a moderately stiff electrical wire. it;s so easy to do!

My two cents,

Just wondering.. Will you be driving your TESLA alot. Many tesla owners that have opted for high amperage for their charger at home would do thing differently after they had their tesla for few months from NEW.. Most of them realize that 40 to 50amp suffice for daily use. A lower amperage will be much cheaper and easier to install. Perhaps you might even be able to do it yourself. It is not brain surgery. One breaker, a red black and white wire, and a moderately stiff electrical wire. it;s so easy to do!
LMy two cents,
Quite a bit. .and need to be charged to go once back home. .it's suprising how much of commuting happenson a day to day basis. Did not realise until I kept a track of my mileage.
Thanks for your advice.

@SMSMD One thing to consider; my buddy and I pre-installed the wall unit in my garage the night before so all my electrician had to do is run the wire and install the breaker. Might save you some of the labour component since actually running the wire was less than 90 min fishing it up from my panel through my attached garage. Took me and my friend about 2 hrs to hang the unit itself, but a lot of that was debating where to put it etc.. Actual working time was maybe 30 minutes. I have a 50A breaker so can charge at 40 if I need to, but to be honest I leave it dialed down to 35A. My house only has 100A service and we have electric range, dryer, A/C so I didn't want to risk tripping a breaker overnight if my A/C came on in the middle of the night while charging. I charge to 85% typically, never had an overnight where I wasn't at 85% in the morning even after a long day (300k +) of driving.

@SMSMD One thing to consider; my buddy and I pre-installed the wall unit in my garage the night before so all my electrician had to do is run the wire and install the breaker. Might save you some of the labour component since actually running the wire was less than 90 min fishing it up from my panel through my attached garage. Took me and my friend about 2 hrs to hang the unit itself, but a lot of that was debating where to put it etc.. Actual working time was maybe 30 minutes. I have a 50A breaker so can charge at 40 if I need to, but to be honest I leave it dialed down to 35A. My house only has 100A service and we have electric range, dryer, A/C so I didn't want to risk tripping a breaker overnight if my A/C came on in the middle of the night while charging. I charge to 85% typically, never had an overnight where I wasn't at 85% in the morning even after a long day (300k +) of driving.
Thanks.. great suggestion. .will do the same. .I agree.. lot of debating where to hang it .kind of sorted that as well. was at home depot today just checking on the raw material the cost even maxed out under 250 cad .

I used RKay Electric, they do most of the houses my company builds. I don't know if Rob would be interested in a one-off/reno as he pretty much just does new construction, but things are slow in the homebuilding world right now so he might be. At least he's done one before so wouldn't have the fear of the unknown that the guy that quoted you might have. I didn't bother with a permit as I know he knows what he's doing, so that saved me some $ but you might not be comfortable with that. You might want to get a second (or third) opinion on the price you got, think you might be able to get it done for less. Good luck.

Aluminum is not to code anymore. If you were retrofitting your house, the City would make you upgrade to Copper (Cu) wiring.
In BC at least, aluminum is still acceptable. However, you need to have it installed by someone who knows what he's doing as it's not just an identical replacement for copper. And because it doesn't conduct as well, you end up with larger conductors than with copper to satisfy ampacity requirements.

Thanks.. great suggestion. .will do the same. .I agree.. lot of debating where to hang it .kind of sorted that as well. was at home depot today just checking on the raw material the cost even maxed out under 250 cad .
You might also want to get a quote from Coronet Electric. They are the electricians that wired my house when it was built by the builder. I had them put in a NEMA 14-50 socket in my garage and I charge over night. I would ask them for a free quote for installation.

• Informative
Reactions: Footbag
Just to close the loop on my initial post. Panel Upgrade Experts came over and gave me an estimate. Paul was really great and knowledgeable, and also a super nice guy. He quoted me $1,100 for a NEMA 14-50 and said he wouldn't recommend a 100amp line because of my load calculation. 24/7 Electric quoted me $2,500 but that would have been 100amp service which a thicker wire is required. I think that's why my initial quote was high - they assumed 100amp service, but it's curious they didn't get me the option of just 50amp. And it's also weird one company said 100amp would be fine and the other (Panel Upgrade Experts) did a more scientific load calc and did not recommend 100amp.

Whatever, bottom line is I'm going with Panel Upgrade Experts as 50amps will be plenty for charging at night and their quote is a lot less. Thank you for the Panel Upgrade Experts recommendation!

• Informative
Reactions: gpetti
Well...I have to say. Footbag won ( or I'll say "tied" ) in a short 0-100km with his P85D against my wife's P90DL
I'll don't want to make excuses but the MX is pushing more air and I as driving.
It will be interesting to compare when he gets his Ludicrous mode installed

Well...I have to say. Footbag won ( or I'll say "tied" ) in a short 0-100km with his P85D against my wife's P90DL
I'll don't want to make excuses but the MX is pushing more air and I as driving.
It will be interesting to compare when he gets his Ludicrous mode installed
Are you driving an X and you didn't tell me? :eek: Evidently the www.teslaxcanada.com people don't have the only X in Canada anymore!
Guess I've missed out on all the action at the last few meet-ups. :(

Are you driving an X and you didn't tell me? :eek: Evidently the www.teslaxcanada.com people don't have the only X in Canada anymore!
Guess I've missed out on all the action at the last few meet-ups. :(
Yes we've had the keys for about 10 days now, (5 days driving back from Vancouver)
It's not our daily driver, so might not too visible on the streets and it seems to be not as reconizable as the Model S
I understand there could be quite a few in western Canada now. 3 in Edmonton for sure.
We'll definitely bring it to the next meet up if someone wants to suggest a date time and place

Yes we've had the keys for about 10 days now, (5 days driving back from Vancouver)
It's not our daily driver, so might not too visible on the streets and it seems to be not as reconizable as the Model S
I understand there could be quite a few in western Canada now. 3 in Edmonton for sure.
That's cool. Must be an all-Tesla garage now. :cool: These must all have arrived since the first club meet since there weren't any Xs in the photo. That or the X owners aren't TMC/TOCA members.

I keep thinking Chrysler 200s are Teslas, so I'll have no trouble spotting an X if one is ever within eyeshot! :p

That's cool. Must be an all-Tesla garage now. :cool: These must all have arrived since the first club meet since there weren't any Xs in the photo. That or the X owners aren't TMC/TOCA members.

I keep thinking Chrysler 200s are Teslas, so I'll have no trouble spotting an X if one is ever within eyeshot! :p
When we had our formal meet, I think maybe 1 or 2 model Xs had been delivered in the whole of Canada, none to our group

While at the Hope supercharger, I saw 2 X's, both white on white, and one of which on its way home to Sherwood Park. So that makes (at least) 4 X's in the Edmonton area I do believe. The Vancouver service centre has LOTS of X's on hand, being prepped for delivery. Looking forward to my first random X sighting in Alberta!