Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me again...

So, I am struggling a bit with numbers.

Okay so, if your priority is saving money, the best thing you could probably do is just keep your current car. Say instead of buying a Toyota or anything else, you put the money into a high interest savings account (one of the worst returns, but gets you 3%). You would be making $900/year and keeping $30k available for future expenses. 25% of gas savings is only let’s say $1000 per year. You saved $100/year net, but lost $3k in depreciation of the vehicle and are actually out $2900. You will never win. Buying a new car is a luxury and shouldn’t really be seen as an rational investment.

That being said if you want to compare when you would “breakeven” between a Corolla and a Model 3, it would probably take you keeping the vehicle for 20 years to “make back” the 30k difference (assuming fixed electricity and fuel pricing, 35000kms per year, 3% opportunity cost, minimal maintenance). A model 3 vs. BMW/Benz/Audi/etc is a much different story...hence why Tesla is killing the midsize luxury sedan market.

TOCA Toy Drive.
Good turn out. Frunks full of Toys.
Donated to Inn From the Cold.
IMG_1061.JPG

Okay so, if your priority is saving money, the best thing you could probably do is just keep your current car. Say instead of buying a Toyota or anything else, you put the money into a high interest savings account (one of the worst returns, but gets you 3%). You would be making $900/year and keeping $30k available for future expenses. 25% of gas savings is only let’s say $1000 per year. You saved $100/year net, but lost $3k in depreciation of the vehicle and are actually out $2900. You will never win. Buying a new car is a luxury and shouldn’t really be seen as an rational investment.

That being said if you want to compare when you would “breakeven” between a Corolla and a Model 3, it would probably take you keeping the vehicle for 20 years to “make back” the 30k difference (assuming fixed electricity and fuel pricing, 35000kms per year, 3% opportunity cost, minimal maintenance). A model 3 vs. BMW/Benz/Audi/etc is a much different story...hence why Tesla is killing the midsize luxury sedan market.

I lived in Edmonton and Calgary for over 20 years, it is quite different from Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Most often we only travel 22 km one way to work; in GTA, it is common to drive 100 km to go to work. It makes sense to get Tesla M3, especially long range one. I typically spend over $400 a month on gas, now only $40 on EV. Mind you, I drive Mercedes C300 and can only use premium gas. On the other hand, gas in Alberta is much cheaper...

View attachment 364854 View attachment 364850 Well I finally joined the sustainable energy/transportation club. The system was turned on at the winter solstice so the production will only get better each day. Today is solid overcast, snowing and they are still producing more than our home’s idle consumption.
I find myself checking the output more than I check TMC. :)
View attachment 364854 View attachment 364850 Well I finally joined the sustainable energy/transportation club. The system was turned on at the winter solstice so the production will only get better each day. Today is solid overcast, snowing and they are still producing more than our home’s idle consumption.
I find myself checking the output more than I check TMC. :)
Very nice. 6kW? Is there a website where others (me!) can view the output from your array?

We’ve been considering installing panels at our house, but keep putting it off. Last estimate I had was $2.50 to $3 per watt installed. I’d be interested in what your final costs are.

It is 8.54 kW. I have not made the system public on SolarEdge yet so you can't see it.
Worked out to $2.45 per watt installed before the 35% Alberta rebate. Never thought the Alberta advantage would be in solar.
I've got three cars plugged in. Estimated yearly production is around 10,000 kWh. So enough to drive over 50,000 km.
Electric cars and Solar go together like peanut butter and jelly. :)

Here is a similar size system in Calgary but their layout is 50/50 east west and almost flat roof so production is low in the winter:
SolarEdge

It is 8.54 kW. I have not made the system public on SolarEdge yet so you can't see it.
Worked out to $2.45 per watt installed before the 35% Alberta rebate. Never thought the Alberta advantage would be in solar.

I'm curious who did your install and whether you'd recommend them? I'm giving serious thought to putting in a system while the rebate is still around (don't expect it to last beyond the election). $2.45 before rebate sounds like a pretty good price. I'm also in Calgary.

I'm curious who did your install and whether you'd recommend them? I'm giving serious thought to putting in a system while the rebate is still around (don't expect it to last beyond the election). $2.45 before rebate sounds like a pretty good price. I'm also in Calgary.
Exactly my thinking. Wasn't going to wait past the election. We saw how fast the EV rebate was removed in Ontario after their election. :mad:
Shop around. Seems like most here have used SkyFire. We went with Virtuoso. I really liked their components, detailed quote and constant updates. I never felt forgoten.
The winter install is harder on the crew but they aren't as busy. It was a very labour intensive install on my steep (slippery) roof. Took two to 5 installers almost a week to install. Fortunately the weather cooperated in December. Your welcome to have a look at my setup if you like. Just PM me.

Cool. Any thoughts on the iPace? The more EVs, the better.
Exactly. I can't wait for the day when I'm surrounded by clean and quiet EVs. Tesla can't do it all by itself.
I love the heads up display of the current speed and posted speed limit.
Ride is quiet and smooth. Nice interior with lots of passenger room. Not much space for cargo.
360 camera view for parking is helpful.
I've never owned a Jaguar but after sitting in their other vehicles in the show room I think they have kept their style and DNA. Existing owners should feel right at home when they switch over to electric.

Reactions: TLej
Wow, I've missed quite a bit since my last visit here. It's nice to catch up on the reading with many familiar folks, and some new people.

I just wanted to share the Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta's new real-time GHG emissions calculator with you all - thought you might find it interesting: Why Electric? | Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta It takes the current energy generation mix into account and compares various EVs (defaults to Model 3!) and ICE vehicles.

So now that we have had the -30 and -40 temperatures here for a few days how come our Alberta thread isn't full of new model 3 owners complaining like they are in Ontario? ;)

I've read all the complaints about the cold weather and to be honest, the "issues" people are experiencing with freezing handles and range, etc are not that big of a deal. I personally haven't struggled with not being able to get into my car or not enough range to get home.