Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see I had a typo. My fully charged to 80% is nominally 360 to 370, not 270.

Also, I recently took a road trip 130km by highway, at about 105kph in about 15C weather, so no heavy heat or a/c use. However, there was a headwind, maybe 30kph or more. I did put on the Aero hubcaps. Going out, I was using 4k for every 3k travelled, coming back it was almost exactly 1:1. We got home with 50km left , only the second time I'd seen the battery indicator turn orange.

So keep in mind, those of you on those also flat and windy Alberta and Saskatchewan plains it's not just temperature. It's also airspeed.

As suspected, alignment was out significantly which explained the early bad tire wear. For $150 it’s worth saving $1500 worth of tires. Should have done this right away after receiving the car.

Was the alignment out over the past 4 years (looking at your signature that you have a 2016 Model X), or was this a new Model X that was misaligned out of the factory?

Reactions: Vancouver ClearBra
Was the alignment out over the past 4 years (looking at your signature that you have a 2016 Model X), or was this a new Model X that was misaligned out of the factory?
I believe so. Factory alignment has been an issue in the past and I understand alignment can go out during shipping depending on how it's secured. Pots holes are a problem around here too but I'm still think a $150 on an alignment is well spent from day one.

Parts Ordered
  1. MSX VCM, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-B/C - PROVISIONED (64 GB) - REMANUFACTURED
    Part #: 2728212-S0-B
    Order Date: November 25, 2020
    20201124_120909.jpg

As suspected, alignment was out significantly which explained the early bad tire wear. For $150 it’s worth saving $1500 worth of tires. Should have done this right away after receiving the car.
This is exactly what happened to me with my first car (P85D) - rear tires lasted about 6,000km before going to the metal of the tires. Sure I launched it a lot but still they wore most on the inside - you couldn't even see the wear unless you looked all the way to the inside of the tires.

It happened , Right suspension broke...a nerve wrecking, traumatic event. Understood after reading posts on this forum. I was lucky there was no accident.
I had stopped at the ATM CIBC Kingsway, drove out, turned left and applied brakes at the traffic lights..BAM BAM BAM. No clue what exactly happened but knew something very serious happened. Checked around the vehicle, NO blown tires, NO I was not driving on the right Rim/Wheel, rubber smell was obvious, wheel well was rubbed not broken. Dropped at Tesla service.

It happened , Right suspension broke...a nerve wrecking, traumatic event. Understood after reading posts on this forum. I was lucky there was no accident.
I had stopped at the ATM CIBC Kingsway, drove out, turned left and applied brakes at the traffic lights..BAM BAM BAM. No clue what exactly happened but knew something very serious happened. Checked around the vehicle, NO blown tires, NO I was not driving on the right Rim/Wheel, rubber smell was obvious, wheel well was rubbed not broken. Dropped at Tesla service.
Oh man, that sucks. I still can't believe they haven't issued a recall for this issue; I would log it with Transport Canada and maybe add your voice to the broken links thread. I hope they goodwill/warranty you for it.

Reactions: Vancouver ClearBra
So I've been using all weather tires for my vehicles in Calgary for several years now. Our roads are rarely snow covered for long periods of time. I am using Nokian WRG3/G4 on my current vehicles. They have worked well over the years. Unfortunately they don't make a tire that will fit the Tesla Model Y factory rims.
So after a lot of researching I was able to find a 19"x8.5" Replika wheel that would fit the new Michelin Crossclimate 2 tire. With a 35mm offset the tire sits at almost the exact same distance out from the fender as the 20" stock wheel. I purchased the wheel/tire package from Tire Zone here in Calgary. They matched the price of wheel/tires from any of the online stores. Picked up the TPMS from Tesla.
I'm posting this in case anyone else is looking for an all weather combination for their Y.
So far I'm happy with the look, ride and noise on the dry roads. Keeping my fingers crossed that the snow performance will be acceptable.
Each wheel/tire is six pounds lighter than the 20" Induction wheels from Tesla.

Attachments

• IMG_6478.jpg
    IMG_6478.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6502.jpg
    IMG_6502.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6501.jpg
    IMG_6501.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6496.jpg
    IMG_6496.jpg
    952.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I see I had a typo. My fully charged to 80% is nominally 360 to 370, not 270.

Also, I recently took a road trip 130km by highway, at about 105kph in about 15C weather, so no heavy heat or a/c use. However, there was a headwind, maybe 30kph or more. I did put on the Aero hubcaps. Going out, I was using 4k for every 3k travelled, coming back it was almost exactly 1:1. We got home with 50km left , only the second time I'd seen the battery indicator turn orange.

So keep in mind, those of you on those also flat and windy Alberta and Saskatchewan plains it's not just temperature. It's also airspeed.
In my experience, worst of all is when there's an accumulation of snow on the road that you need to plow through, even just a cm or two will make a big difference, especially since it implies using heat (try to focus on using heated seats rather than heating the air in the cabin) and usually wind too. The snow on the ground has a huge impact on drag. You'll often see it with rain too.

Anyone here know if either the Edmonton or Calgary Tesla showroom has a refreshed Model S to try? I am too tall for the old (pre-glass roof) Model S but fit great in our Model 3. However my son’s head is now hitting the roof of our Model 3 in the back seat and I’m not sure my wife likes being relegated to the back seat on long trips.
I’m considering a refresh Model S but need to check everyone fits comfortably before spending that kind of money. Don’t need to take it for a spin as the headroom is the most important consideration, but a test-drive would be nice as I’d also like to get a sense of whether the cabin is noticeably quieter on chip-sealed highways as that does get annoying in my Model 3.

Anyone here know if either the Edmonton or Calgary Tesla showroom has a refreshed Model S to try? I am too tall for the old (pre-glass roof) Model S but fit great in our Model 3. However my son’s head is now hitting the roof of our Model 3 in the back seat and I’m not sure my wife likes being relegated to the back seat on long trips.
I’m considering a refresh Model S but need to check everyone fits comfortably before spending that kind of money. Don’t need to take it for a spin as the headroom is the most important consideration, but a test-drive would be nice as I’d also like to get a sense of whether the cabin is noticeably quieter on chip-sealed highways as that does get annoying in my Model 3.
You are not going to find one. Best chance is to join the Tesla owners club of Alberta on Facebook and ask someone to show their car. I believe a member has one and seems open to showing it.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Yes they do, they (Edmonton) have 4 plaids on lot right now!

I just checked one out yesterday. They will not let you drive it but I spent a good hour yesterday going over every little detail in it, playing with the yoke buttons and screen, etc. It’s beautiful. Lots of headroom in the back.

• Informative
Reactions: bpjod and MoneyWiz