Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners That Hog Supercharger Spaces

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been seeing more and more Tesla owners parking in supercharger spots unplugged just so they have a better parking space to do their shopping. I am not sure how Tesla can address this.

Just today, someone parked next to me while charging at a very busy supercharger location and did not plug in. They just left. They know it will cost them to leave it plugged in so they just game the system this way.

This is just as bad as ICING, perhaps worse since they know full well what they are doing.

Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Greg - NJ
I have been seeing more and more Tesla owners parking in supercharger spots unplugged just so they have a better parking space to do their shopping. I am not sure how Tesla can address this.

Just today, someone parked next to me while charging at a very busy supercharger location and did not plug in. They just left. They know it will cost them to leave it plugged in so they just game the system this way.

This is just as bad as ICING, perhaps worse since they know full well what they are doing.

Greg - NJ
Take pick with their license plate showing they're not plugged in and post it and send it to Tesla.

Tried once to get a Model S to open the charge point at South Lake Tahoe (Hard Rock Hotel) and it didn't work. Clicked it a couple of times, and it didn't open. Since I was charging, came back a few minutes and repeated, and it still didn't open.

More recently, there was (22-Jun) a large white pick up truck taking up a Tesla super charging spot there as well (more than one-half were taken) but there were a few available. Then what? This is basically private property, and if getting a vehicle "moved" works for an ICE vehicle, then why not the same method for an EV?

In CA, the spots are legally for EV charging - not EV parking. Vehicles are supposed to be towed if not actively charging.

Some charging stations specifically say Tesla Parking only while others say Tesla Charging.

I know here in MD there is a group of 12 stalls and 6 of them are 30 minute parking, no mention of charging. The other 6 specifically say Tesla Charging.

If indeed possible, plugging them in is the only one way they'll learn. No amount of signs and fines/tow threats will change these lowlifes minds.

Getting plugged in a few times in the middle of their lunch will make them consider leaving their car in the plebs section of the parking lot o_O

Some charging stations specifically say Tesla Parking only while others say Tesla Charging.

I know here in MD there is a group of 12 stalls and 6 of them are 30 minute parking, no mention of charging. The other 6 specifically say Tesla Charging.

Yeah, we have to be careful with this one.

Just because someone has a Tesla doesn't mean they can't park at a Supercharger without plugging in. It all depends on what the sign says.

Now with that being said I would never park an Electric Car at a charger without plugging in. That just makes things harder on my own kind so it makes no sense to me.

Hopefully in some future SW iteration Tesla can implement an "Umm, dude can we park somewhere else? This is really embarrassing to me" push notification when the car detects it's been parked at a Supercharger without being plugged in.

Tesla really needs to add some personality/flair to the car. Like coming back to a depressed car when you've done something really dumb.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: MXn00b and Guy V
Gee, glad you aren't my neighbor. I'm wondering if your distant ancestors put people in stockades in front of town square and threw rocks at them because the person took a loaf of bread ;) I'd take a simpler more effective approach. :)
Society is based on following rules and accepted norms. Both the rule and accepted norm for the EV society would frown on this activity of blocking charging stations. That owner needs to remember that they are members of a larger community that has responsibilities to each other. Photos of the offenders appropriately placed might remind them of their responsibilities to the other members of the community. I would not encourage rock throwing however!

Reactions: Guy V
I've totally seen this with destination chargers. Car is plugged in (probably many hours ago), but the HPWC shows idle.

At first glance, the "plug them in" solution seems brilliant. Owner gets a polite notification that they're plugged in, and a (soon after) idle fee warning. Either the first or second notification will encourage them to move.

That being said... I'd be worried about any legal consequences. You (and likely your car/plate) could get recorded via Sentry Mode. In theory, the owner could sue you for both for the KWh billed and idle fees they incurred.

• Disagree
Reactions: erik_k

Greg - NJ
TROLLING??

FWIW I see this at non Tesla L2 chargers as well, really chaps my a**. In AZ a lot of grocery stores have chargers near the front door and I've witnessed several EVs (including Tesla) just park and walk in, while I'm sitting there charging no less. They know exactly what they are doing. And I agree that it's even worse than ICING for that very reason.

Sadly the fact is, no matter what logo is on the car, "it's all about me" people are everywhere. I expect this to just get worse with mass adoption.

PS – the "Plug them in" answer is so simple it's brilliant! Here ya go buddy let me help you with that :D Unfortunately won't work on non-Tesla chargers.
I am in Long Beach, CA and there is a relatively new shopping center called the "LBX", near the food court area or the "Hanger" are a few charge point chargers, I have seen many different BEV's and plug in's charging there, the ONLY cars that were not charging on at least 3 occasions were model 3's.

It made me angry and sad to see as I would never do something like this to just to get a closer parking space, I am really angered by the fact that it gives more people a reason to hate Tesla owners and look at them as A holes.

I hope that is the norm. Every week I stop at the supercharger in Florence, SC. They put it right in the prime spot, not only at the mall entrance, but right at the food court. It's frequently pretty heavily ICED.

I thought we had previously settled that one cannot plug in a locked Tesla, no? I'll try to remember to shut off my Bluetooth and try that. It's kind of a jerk move, and doesn't get you the charge you may need at the time, but in the long run it may help.
You definitely can plug in at least some locked Tesla’s. I do it all the time on my wife’s 2014 MS.

• Informative
Reactions: Enginerd

Yes, these people could legitimately be parking according to Tesla’s rules, since most SC locations have half the spots available for 30 minute general parking. Tesla needs to change this rule. It is crazy to give away needed SC spots, and any Tesla owner knows better. The ones that do this just don’t care. It’s their world and you are just living in it.

In CA, the spots are legally for EV charging - not EV parking. Vehicles are supposed to be towed if not actively charging.

There is a glitch in this law, it seems. Not really for Tesla Superchargers since the cable is short and there is only one spot to charge. But for other chargers, one cable can reach multiple cars. It is possible to park in a second spot and you get to use the charger next. Once you are charging can no one then park in the spot right next to the charger else they'll get towed?

Same with our Ss and 3s. But our X does not do that. I asked service about it, and they claimed the X was designed differently.

Correct! MX so far is the only one that will not open the charge port unless it's unlocked. Actually scratch that - no idea about the roadster(s) or Semi.

This made for some hilarious times at Tesla stores when we'd go to plug in 1xMS and 4 or 5 MS's around you would open their mouths ready for a feed!

Greg - NJ

A third party company that sells Tesla aftermarket accessories includes some placcards with nearly every order which really come in handy for situations like this, including some that you can actually use for another Tesla vehicle that is taking up a supercharger spot but isn't charging.

Courtesy Notice EV.png
Courtesy Notice Non-EV.png

People who are that inconsiderate aren’t going to care about a sign. And no one could possibly think it’s OK to use it as a parking space because they’re driving a Tesla. Tesla has its share of jerks as owners now. My guess is their previous car started with a B and ended with a W.

Ha! Probably right. My wife claims I'm exaggerating, but whenever somebody pulls a dickish move in a car around here (just north of NYC), there's at least a 50-50 chance that's the brand they're driving.

Related to this larger topic, where I work we have six free chargers (for students and employees) and they are primo spots, in a covered garage that often is full when maybe only 3-4 of the charger spots are being used. I've started noticing the same non-EVs parking in these spots, and I've been sending a pix of their permits to our security staff. They get tickets.