Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla P3D Competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mr Musk, I’d would like to suggest a new Competition version of the already incredible Model 3. This car would be positioned along side the P100D with many of the same attributes, but smaller, sportier, and around $100k instead of a $140k loaded. Below is what I think the car should consist of.

• Performance in the 0-60 range of 2.5 seconds
  • Sport air suspension that would sit lower when adjusted
  • Total black out of all trim
  • 21” light allot sport wheels
  • Carbon fiber exterior package
  • Carbon fiber interior package
  • Glass openning sunroof
  • Power opennig and closing trunk and frunk
  • Heads up display
  • Self opening and closing doors
  • Higher end audio option with Sirius
  • True memory seat and electronic memory option
  • Better voice command capability
Sorry, I absolutely love my P3D, and would kill to get the car outlined above. What do you guys think???

Last edited:
  • Performance in the 0-60 range of 2.5 seconds
  • Carbon fiber exterior package
  • Carbon fiber interior package
  • Heads up display

These are "competition" items, and would make sense in a vehicle called "competition". Basically, stripped out, light weight interior, and thinner body panels made from composites. All of these are much more easily damaged, though, so what would be a rock chip and a dent turns into a fully replaced body panel because it has cracked or chipped out part of the weave.

Air suspension is less of a performance component because it adds a lot of weight, but since you can drop the car and stiffen the response it basically qualifies in my mind.

• 21” light allot sport wheels
  • Glass openning sunroof
  • Power opennig and closing trunk and frunk
  • Heads up display
  • Self opening and closing doors
  • Higher end audio option with Sirius
  • True memory seat and electronic memory option
  • Better voice command capability

These are not "competition" items, and add to the weight of the vehicle, decrease the effective performance, or are voice control and otherwise make no difference. Larger wheels are heavier and reduce the effective torque that the vehicle puts down on the road. Opening roof panels require body stiffening and motors which add weight. Power doors, trunk, and audio systems add weight. Electric seats would be stripped out completely in a "competition" spec car, because seat motors are heavy and comfortable seats are too.

You've got a picture of a Ferrari as your avatar. Look at the competition spec Ferrari trim versus a more normal spec one. The interiors are taken down to the minimums to save weight and increase effective performance.

I would like to see that if you cut out the powered doors and such. More weight for features that I don't need. It would be cool to see a Space Balls Dev version of the P3, similar to the M cars. The P3 already compares favorably to or beats the M3 in every category except maybe handling, so that isn't very likely IMO.

BMW is a good example of a car company that builds a competition versions with out stripping out the options and luxury. Just look at the new M5 Competition. That being said, call it Sport. This is just the way I’d like to see the car. I would like my cake and eat it too. That being said, I totally get your points.

PS: I’m the owner of a 2017 Ferrari 488 Spider and a 2019 Porsche GT3 RS, just for reference.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
BMW is a good example of a car company that builds a competition versions with out stripping out the options and luxury. Just look at the new M5 Competition. That being said, call it Sport. This is just the way I’d like to see the car. I would like my cake and eat it too. That being said, I totally get your points.

PS: I’m the owner of a 2017 Ferrari 488 Spider and a 2019 Porsche GT3 RS, just for reference.

Having finally seen a modern M5, I simply cannot disagree with you strongly enough. BMW lost their way in the late 90s, and the M series is getting worse instead of better. The M5 is a prime example of what I hate about BMW, as it happens.

Anyway, in a couple years time I'm sure the Model 3 will start to get more optioned up and you'll be able to drop some cash on a well equipped one. Maybe there will even be Ludicrous mode at some point, or some other Spaceballs reference to going fast.

Blacked out trim is a bad idea, most people don't like that. I don't.

And 21 inch wheels on a 3 are a bit excessive, the 20's already have nearly no sidewall.

What the hell does a power opening frunk and trunk have to do with competition? Or self opening doors? Or a fancy stereo for running hot laps at Laguna Seca?

You'd don't need a sunroof on a race car, in fact, they should have the metal roof for less weight!

And most of that carbon fiber crap is a waste of money.

Your "competition" idea has many flaws and little good in it. This sounds like the dream of "boy racers". The type of 20-25 year old who has a riced-out Honda Civic with the big fart can muffler, big wheels, slammed to the ground, and a body kit in primer paint because once they bought the body kit they couldn't afford to paint it. And a stock or near stock engine that makes noise but goes slow.

Last edited:
OK, I’ll come clean. Competition was the wrong term. I meant more a Sport version with another 100hp. I’m an older guy that’s owned 65 new cars, half of which where high performance variants. That’s one of the things I like about my newer Ferrari’s. They finally have most of the creature comforts while being a monster in acceleration and around the track. Even the GT3 RS in a little to hard core for me. I’m moving to a 911 Turbo S with race exhaust and tune. To me, that’s the best of both worlds. Luxury and incredible performance all in one sexy package.

Last edited:
Blacked out trim is a bad idea, most people don't like that. I don't.

This is extremely subjective. I love blacked out trim and I think chrome is an old man's trim material. But giving owners the option to choose whether they want chrome or a black finish would be nice. I'd have paid probably $250-500 if all my exterior chrome could have been satin black instead. It's just my opinion though.

You'd don't need a sunroof on a race car, in fact, they should have the metal roof for less weight!

He wasn't asking for a race car though. I made the same point, but a sport spec vehicle versus a race spec vehicle are pretty different.

And most of that carbon fiber crap is a waste of money.

That really depends what you want the carbon for. If you're looking to remove the metal skin of the car and use carbon panels instead because you want to save weight, carbon fiber is pretty worthwhile. Certainly it's not crap. BMW used to (maybe it's stock now?) offer carbon roofs on their M series vehicles, which lowered the center of gravity somewhat since you didn't have all that weight way up in the air.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
DFE74717-718A-4E4C-B9DC-719A3C5B701B.jpeg
This is a teaser picture. Photoshoot coming soon.

Reactions: ℬête Noire