Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla P85D CPO for $51K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You pay the CA tax no matter what.
If I order that car and Tesla ships it from CA to FL, I pick car up in a FL Tesla store and pay car+tax in FL, no? on a different note, it is crazy that we pay sales tax on used cars at all, they have already been taxed once. But when you trade with a dealer you only pay tax on the difference.. If you trade privately you pay more tax, wonder who lobbied for that piece of legislation..

Last edited:
Guess I'll be waiting for the price to drop below 40s to get a P85D. That would be nice. It is difficult to get one without paint damages though. I have requested numerous photo requests and every one of them came back with issues.

From my experience, there are plenty without any damage, but they usually get taken before they hit the low end of the price spectrum. The ones with damage usually get passed up so those are the ones with the best price.

I saw a bunch when I was hunting get swooped up in the low 60s as I was trying to wait for them to fall.

Then the ones between 55-60 were the ones that were passed or thrown back into the pool after someone inspected it.

If I order that car and Tesla ships it from CA to FL, I pick car up in a FL Tesla store and pay car+tax in FL, no? on a different note, it is crazy that we pay sales tax on used cars at all, they have already been taxed once. But when you trade with a dealer you only pay tax on the difference.. If you trade privately you pay more tax, wonder who lobbied for that piece of legislation..

You pay CA tax no matter what. They will not ship a CPO vehicle out of CA.

You are forced to buy in state and they will force you to collect the tax.

The only other state that does this, to my knowledge is MA. It’s ridiculous and not how vehicle tax should be collected.

• Informative
Reactions: Olle
You pay CA tax no matter what. They will not ship a CPO vehicle out of CA.

You are forced to buy in state and they will force you to collect the tax.

The only other state that does this, to my knowledge is MA. It’s ridiculous and not how vehicle tax should be collected.
However, it's not necessarily double taxed. For example, Arizonans only pay that CA sale tax, and don't need to pay tax again when registering the car back in Arizona

Same here, I got my P85 in September and D's are now cheaper, mine was mint and still is,, somebody is going to get a very nice car when I upgrade..

Unless you really want the extra space of a Model S, the Performance Model 3 has more range, better handling and updated Autopilot for only slightly more than these CPOs (which I think is why the P85Ds seem to have started dropping in price) I traded in my P85 for the Performance Model 3 and could not be happier.

Reactions: PhilDavid and Olle
Unless you really want the extra space of a Model S, the Performance Model 3 has more range, better handling and updated Autopilot for only slightly more than these CPOs (which I think is why the P85Ds seem to have started dropping in price) I traded in my P85 for the Performance Model 3 and could not be happier.

No hatch, no air suspension, no heated steering wheel, no info screen *in front* of the driver.

All dealbreakers for me with the 3. Maybe someday they will whittle down that list.

Model 3 drives great. I put down a deposit on a P3+ right after my test drive. The BMW M3 to M5 comparison is pretty apt. At the end of the day, I prefer the S as freeway commuter and part-time Uber driver for my 3 boys (and their friends AND crap). So I cancelled my order and am now looking to upgrade to P85D+.

Last edited:
Model 3 drives great. I put down a deposit on a P3+ right after my test drive. The BMW M3 to M5 comparison is pretty apt. At the end of the day, I prefer the S as freeway commuter and part-time Uber driver for my 3 boys (and their friends AND crap). So I cancelled my order and am now looking to upgrade to P85D+.

This is a good time to buy a P85D with prices starting in the late 40s and several available in the early 50s...

Some of us prefer the S...

That's ok too everyone can buy whichever they prefer,

I preferred my S until about a month after buying my first Model 3. I generally prefer handling over speed and hands down the Model 3 handles better then the S and with the Performance Model 3 it also has the speed of a P85D so win / win for me.

Eventually I'll likely pickup a Model X P100D for hauling things which it's better at then both the S and the 3. (Unless the Model Y somehow can seat 6 which I doubt)

It May be good idea for us to combine and move this convo over to this thread.

Lots of CPO cars with good prices -- suddenly?

I imagine we aren’t helping the people who are actually listing “for sale” Tesla’s by having a running thread about “CPO” deals that keeps bumping to the top of the “for sale” forum.

I think there are a lot of us who like to monitor the market prices, probably why we are looking in the “for sale” forum! Lol.

It's not unusual for people to share good deals they find in the For Sale section and for those who are selling their cars, it's useful to see what the market prices are.

The car I originally listed that looks like a decent buy is still available for sale.