Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Paint - multi coat any better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our white multi-coat Model X is now 3 years old (42k miles) and just has literally a couple of minor stone chips on the front. Couldn't be arsed with the PPF trend. Will be selling it next year anyway.

We also have a white Model 3, but only a couple of months old. Paint looks fine so far, but early days.

I am aware that some owners say the Tesla paint is very thin and sometimes is prone to flaking.
Is there any reason to believe that the multi-coat (white and red) is any better (thicker, more durable etc) than the non multi-coat? Of the colours available I like the multi-coat red and the blue, but would choose the blue to save £1000 unless the red protects better.
I am also curious about the quality of the multicoat compared to the other colours, and will consider choosing red or white for my next Model 3.

My blue 2019 LR AWD did have a few blemishes when new (running drops), but nothing I bothered to complain about.
However, I very soon became aware that the clear coat is extremely thin and fragile. Any small scratches (caused by opening the car with gloves, loading bags and bicycles into the trunk, people brushing against the car at shopping malls etc) cause minor scratches that penetrate the clear coat and thus leaves lighter colour traces in the blue paint which cannot be buffed out. I did get a ceramic coating applied, but I don't really feel this helps a lot (probably even thinner than Tesla's clear coat).

This is in contrast to my previous car, a Auda A4 quattro 2000 model, where I could usually buff away any small scratches, even after almost 20 years daily use.

My blue 2019 LR AWD did have a few blemishes when new (running drops), but nothing I bothered to complain about.
However, I very soon became aware that the clear coat is extremely thin and fragile. Any small scratches (caused by opening the car with gloves, loading bags and bicycles into the trunk, people brushing against the car at shopping malls etc) cause minor scratches that penetrate the clear coat and thus leaves lighter colour traces in the blue paint which cannot be buffed out. I did get a ceramic coating applied, but I don't really feel this helps a lot (probably even thinner than Tesla's clear coat).

Exactly my experience. Only recently my wife turned around and simply said that its time to accept that it is a car and not a driveway ornament.

Midnight Silver Metallic is wearing well (September 2019). Not prone to stone chips and any faint surface scratches from verge/hedge excursions rub out perfectly with a little T Cut metallic and a re-wax. (Narrow roads, wide vehicles)

Have a look at this:
The problem I have with Richard’s videos are they rarely seem to reach a conclusion. He measures the cars in lots of spots and it’s thinner and thicker if places. He must know people who do paint correction who can offer a better insight

Back on topic, I’ve had 3 cars now. A flat black MS which was only ok, a deep sea blue MS which was relatively good and now a white M3 which in the right sunlight shows it’s depth, but the rear bumper looks a slightly different colour and I’ve seen a few cars the same, Tesla say it’s normal and to do with painting metal v plastic but I’ve only seen it with white cars. I’m resigned to thinking paint will not be a strong characteristic of the cars.

The problem I have with Richard’s videos are they rarely seem to reach a conclusion. He measures the cars in lots of spots and it’s thinner and thicker if places. He must know people who do paint correction who can offer a better insight

Back on topic, I’ve had 3 cars now. A flat black MS which was only ok, a deep sea blue MS which was relatively good and now a white M3 which in the right sunlight shows it’s depth, but the rear bumper looks a slightly different colour and I’ve seen a few cars the same, Tesla say it’s normal and to do with painting metal v plastic but I’ve only seen it with white cars. I’m resigned to thinking paint will not be a strong characteristic of the cars.
If you watch the video, Richard takes a Model3 to a detailer who works on very high end cars regularly and the detailer says the paint on the newer cars is as good as a BMW. So that’s good enough for me. Im gonna get mine ceramic coated and maybe some PPF around the vulnerable areas.

If you watch the video, Richard takes a Model3 to a detailer who works on very high end cars regularly and the detailer says the paint on the newer cars is as good as a BMW. So that’s good enough for me. Im gonna get mine ceramic coated and maybe some PPF around the vulnerable areas.
I had mine (6/21 MIC car) ceramic coated and asked what they thought of the paint. Told me it was on a par with current german cars and much improved on previous Teslas they have seen.

I’ll have to watch it again, I watched it when it first came out so maybe he’s updated it if that’s possible. My 2020 cars paint certainly isn’t BMW quality but I know many talk about improvements since production shifted to China