Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla parts/repair - 3 weeks and crickets...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my buddy who’s 3 got hit is still waiting for Tesla to give him an ETA on when parts will be shipped. It’s been almost 4 weeks so far since his car went into the Tesla-authorized body shop in SoCal. This is pretty painful to see, since once they get the parts, it will still be 3-4 weeks for repairs/paint to be completed.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is there a contact at Tesla to escalate this case to? Seems crazy to think that a car is just sitting there for months, depreciating, just because Tesla hasn’t shipped parts etc.
Min 2.5 month turn around if you're lucky. Felt the pain x2.

That's a classic!

Ages well with: "Our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available” said Musk during the Q1 earnings call today. “If you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous … Model X that we have. Same for Model S." -- Tesla service center loaners will all be P100Ds with Ludicrous, says Musk
Heh. I forgot about that. I remembered Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program from 2013.

It's been 10 days since I dropped my car off at Pomona.

In that timeframe they have torn it down, put an addendum repair list together, called my insurance company, obtained their authorization and ordered the parts. The to-be painted parts have arrived and are being painted and they are telling me 2 weeks to completion.

IF they keep their stated timeline, it will be less than 4 weeks from drop off to pick up. That's reasonable for the extent of my damages which were mainly cosmetic but required a new door.

I have probably just jinxed my whole repair by bragging about the efficiency in which they have handled my repair thus far, but I am an optimist at the core level.... :)

It's been 10 days since I dropped my car off at Pomona.

In that timeframe they have torn it down, put an addendum repair list together, called my insurance company, obtained their authorization and ordered the parts. The to-be painted parts have arrived and are being painted and they are telling me 2 weeks to completion.

IF they keep their stated timeline, it will be less than 4 weeks from drop off to pick up. That's reasonable for the extent of my damages which were mainly cosmetic but required a new door.

I have probably just jinxed my whole repair by bragging about the efficiency in which they have handled my repair thus far, but I am an optimist at the core level.... :)
So is the only major repair part a door or did you have other major parts like hood/bumper/windshield?

@SoCalGuy
What parts is your buddy waiting for? The Tesla Certified shop in Michigan (Cauley Ferrari in West Bloomfield) is saying driver side front fenders are impossible to get right now. I need a driver side quarter panel, aero wheel and possibly rear bumper. Was told 3-5 weeks up front. It's been 1.5 weeks now. 5 weeks will put us in first week of May.

@SoCalGuy
What parts is your buddy waiting for? The Tesla Certified shop in Michigan (Cauley Ferrari in West Bloomfield) is saying driver side front fenders are impossible to get right now. I need a driver side quarter panel, aero wheel and possibly rear bumper. Was told 3-5 weeks up front. It's been 1.5 weeks now. 5 weeks will put us in first week of May.
I think it was hood, front bumper, front windshield, front quarter panels.

That's a classic!

Ages well with: "Our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available” said Musk during the Q1 earnings call today. “If you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous … Model X that we have. Same for Model S." -- Tesla service center loaners will all be P100Ds with Ludicrous, says Musk

Same Old *sugar*, overpromise, underdeliver. It'd be nice if it was the reverse "We'll get you a Kia rental at the minimum", then when the customer shows up, they'd get a Tesla! Imagine the positive publicity.

My car needs a new rt rear tail light assembly. A mobile service tech came to diagnose the car while I was on vacation last Tuesday while I was in Florida, they ordered the tail light and another mobile service tech is coming tomorrow to replace it at my house in NJ.

Maybe things are getting better?

I've been waiting over 2 months for new seats covers. back ordered, really not much I can do but wait.

I waited 5 months for a driver side seat cushion that had a hole pierced into it while at tesla service center. I had to constantly call to follow up on it. At first they ordered me a whole new seat assembly but 4 months later they said that they can order the seat cushion separately. That took a month to get in

I waited 5 months for a driver side seat cushion that had a hole pierced into it while at tesla service center. I had to constantly call to follow up on it. At first they ordered me a whole new seat assembly but 4 months later they said that they can order the seat cushion separately. That took a month to get in
Yeah the parts backlog is ridiculous. Even the Tesla owned body shops have the same parts backlog delay as the authorized centers.

I think it was hood, front bumper, front windshield, front quarter panels.
I'm in a similar situation where the car has been sitting dead for months waiting for a passenger fender. It sucks not even having an ETA of when the part will arrive and even worse watching these cool new updates roll out while I make payments to drive a base model ICE loaner.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has gotten a fender or even an ETA at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: hpartsch
I'm in a similar situation where the car has been sitting dead for months waiting for a passenger fender. It sucks not even having an ETA of when the part will arrive and even worse watching these cool new updates roll out while I make payments to drive a base model ICE loaner.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has gotten a fender or even an ETA at this point.
The guy at my shop said the the front driver side fenders are not available at the moment. Though I don't need one, that was his "at least you aren't in this situation" comment to make me feel better.

My car was in an accident and needed a new front bumper, driver's side fender, and driver's side door. Plus the shop replaced most of the front driver's suspension components that may have been compromised in the collision.

When I dropped it off for repair, I was told that to be patient because sometimes just receiving the body parts can take weeks or months... fortunately, I had a decent experience and my car was fully repaired and returned in just over 2 months. During that time, I contacted Tesla's parts line continuously to push them for when my parts would be shipped/delivered to the body shop. They were sometimes responsive, sometimes not so much. But in the end, I feel the car was turned around in a reasonable amount of time considering the horror stories I had been hearing about Tesla's parts delivery bottleneck. Of course, every day I didn't have my car and was forced to drive my ICE rental, I felt sad.... but after return of my Tesla, my spirits lifted. :)

I had an object fall off a military vehicle on a base in SoCal and while I almost swerved out of the way it still penetrated the lower driver side front bumper fascia and scuffed it in several spots before hitting the ground. The damage was significant enough to try and replace my bumper. Seeing as how I had a deep scratch on my rear bumper fascia I decided to replace both out of pocket.

I spoke with Tesla, the service response was extremely quick and I was linked up with Van Nuys in October 2018. I placed an order for both bumpers painted as Van Nuys was incapable of painting on site. I was quoted the price of repairing the bumpers, not a full replacement or so I was told. The bumpers finally came in, painted, around December 21st 2018. I was out of the state and unable to make an appointment before Christmas and they said I could come by after the new year. I called when I returned only to find out the Van Nuys location was closed permanently and my bumpers were shipped over to Pomona. I contacted my service adviser only to find out my bumpers were not shipped and they were not able to locate them. I place an order for two unpainted bumpers to go to Pomona and was told to expect a call for an appointment. I called everyday for approximately 5 weeks before I was told they had bumpers but they could not get me in for another month as they were backed. At that point I am 5 months from my initial contact and looking at another 3-4 weeks just to get another appointment, it would take another week once they came in to get it replaced and painted. I never got their call back that they received bumpers.

I gave it two weeks and went to the San Diego SC. I was told I could just order pre-painted bumpers and have them shipped to the SC. They said they may even have them in stock. I waited and they confirmed they were out of blue bumpers and emailed Pomona to request bumpers. I have emailed the service guy at the SD SC once a week since and nothing. It has been 3 weeks and he said it is all on Pomona.

At this point, roughly 75% of the time I have owned the car I have been waiting for 2 bumpers.

I love this car. It is fun to drive, convenient, looks great, efficient and has a low TCO. My story is very mild compared to some I have heard and it is still unacceptable. The scarcity of parts, lack of supply chain cohesion, time to repair and huge backlog is very, very concerning. I would say parts/repairs are the biggest threats to the future of the company.

Do they literally laugh at you? That's really terrible. I really wish that more sites would start publishing these horror stories and shame Tesla into action. This is the #1 thing that I fear in owning the car. It's also led to a great deal of additional care and paranoia when driving because i don't want to experience this.