Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Planning to Triple Supercharger Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

As the number of Tesla vehicles on the road continues to swell, the company is giving some serious consideration to its charging network.

On the company’s Q3 earnings call, the company said it plans to triple the size of its charging network around the world.

“We are executing on accelerating expansion plans globally,” said Drew Baglino, Tesla’s senior vice president of powertrain and battery engineering. “The network has doubled in the last 18 months, and we are planning to triple it over the next two years. And even so on an individual-site basis to combat existing congestion more quickly where it is isolated and problematic, we expedite local relief sites, deploy mobile Superchargers, and we try to introduce pricing strategies that encourage more off-peak usage to avoid the waiting.”

Tesla currently has about 29,281 Superchargers at 3,254 locations around the world. In addition to serving Tesla vehicles, the company recently announced that the network will also accommodate electric vehicles from other automakers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that you missed my point also… If we are trying to make EVs widespread, we can’t be elitists and give “pro tips” such as the one above.

The “$4 a day for a latte” is again a hilarious argument and very stereotypical of the view of a certain generation. I save a ton, barely eat out and make a good living. Yet in the grand scheme of things I’m not any closer to being able to buy a good house in a halfway decent neighborhood in the Bay Area compared to someone who spends $50/month at Starbucks… Thankfully I can charge at work, but I struggle to see the issue with having an EV even without a garage. It’s just very classist and elitist to have that kind of comments.
Once again solution for big cities is not to have personal cars period.

Yes, that's called buying the dip, except in 2009 it was more along the lines of a cliff in some markets. How much has your house appreciated in value since then?
Certainly not as much as anything in the equities markets. My friends around here remark sometimes (okay, sadly often) how much their house has appreciated since then, 100-125%, and yet my equities portfolios have appreciated nearly 4-5 fold.

Oh snap! I missed the memo where Tesla changed their mission statement to “accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy, but only for boomers and trust fund kids who are pretty much the only people who can still afford to be first time home-owners in 2021”…
I think it depends on location.
Of course, with remote work proliferating after COVID, there may also be some equalization coming (expensive places will drop, cheap places will rise in prices).

I think that you missed my point also… If we are trying to make EVs widespread, we can’t be elitists and give “pro tips” such as the one above.

The “$4 a day for a latte” is again a hilarious argument and very stereotypical of the view of a certain generation. I save a ton, barely eat out and make a good living. Yet in the grand scheme of things I’m not any closer to being able to buy a good house in a halfway decent neighborhood in the Bay Area compared to someone who spends $50/month at Starbucks… Thankfully I can charge at work, but I struggle to see the issue with having an EV even without a garage. It’s just very classist and elitist to have that kind of comments.
I wondered if your original post

Oh snap! I missed the memo where Tesla changed their mission statement to “accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy, but only for boomers and trust fund kids who are pretty much the only people who can still afford to be first time home-owners in 2021”…

was expression that you thought that YOU were entitled to own a Tesla, more than your wanting "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy"?

I'm not interested in sharing my own life story, however, I once had an entry-level position in the San Francisco Bay Area (I assume you mean the "San Francisco Bay Area", not one of the other "Bay Areas" in the US and the world). I certainly did not expect to be able to immediately buy an expensive premium automobile AND "buy a good house in a halfway decent neighborhood". I lived in a dumpy old apartment 2 blocks from my office and saved as much money as I could. I believe that Elon Musk did the same. I suggest a little introspection about who has "classist and elitist" views.

I was only trying to explain how to "accelerate the transition to sustainable energy" accelerates faster overall by milking those with disposable income when you can't make enough cars anyway, not by leaving money on the table in the early days just to be able to sell some of the cars to those who can't afford more but feel entitled to them.

If there really is any sort of altruism in your life's goals beyond wanting to be seen in a cool car in a prestigious neighborhood; My advice to you is to focus on taking care of your finances first. Then, later, you may be able to be at the forefront of the effort to save the planet and maybe from a nice house with a nice car.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I think it depends on location.
Of course, with remote work proliferating after COVID, there may also be some equalization coming (expensive places will drop, cheap places will rise in prices).
Ironically, most of these locations are places with few superchargers, to circle back to the original topic. Of course, I am not saying it is impossible to purchase a home, simply that I don't believe that owning a home should be the criteria to owning an EV, whatever EV that is, by the way.
I wondered if your original post was expression that you thought that YOU were entitled to own a Tesla, more than your wanting "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy"?

I'm not interested in sharing my own life story, however, I once had an entry-level position in the San Francisco Bay Area (I assume you mean the "San Francisco Bay Area", not one of the other "Bay Areas" in the US and the world). I certainly did not expect to be able to immediately buy an expensive premium automobile AND "buy a good house in a halfway decent neighborhood". I lived in a dumpy old apartment 2 blocks from my office and saved as much money as I could. I believe that Elon Musk did the same. I suggest a little introspection about who has "classist and elitist" views.

I was only trying to explain how to "accelerate the transition to sustainable energy" accelerates faster overall by milking those with disposable income when you can't make enough cars anyway, not by leaving money on the table in the early days just to be able to sell some of the cars to those who can't afford more but feel entitled to them.

If there really is any sort of altruism in your life's goals beyond wanting to be seen in a cool car in a prestigious neighborhood; My advice to you is to focus on taking care of your finances first. Then, later, you may be able to be at the forefront of the effort to save the planet and maybe from a nice house with a nice car.

Your post is interesting, and assumes a lot. I save as much money as I can as well, actually. As I said above, I don't believe that only people with a big house and a nice picket fence, purchased after years and years of hard larbor, should be able to own an EV, and that was the point of my original, snarky comment. Believe it or not, the sustainable aspect was the number one reason (by far) for me getting an EV. I never wanted or felt entitled to own a Tesla. I looked for the best EV possible through a lot of research, and it happened to be a Tesla. If you knew me, you would know that "looking cool" (whatever that means) is at the very bottom of my priority list.

But thank you for the condescending advice, I'll make sure to continue to save my Starbucks money (where I've probably spent $10 in the past 2 years) so I can be worthy of a Tesla in your eyes.

Ironically, most of these locations are places with few superchargers, to circle back to the original topic. Of course, I am not saying it is impossible to purchase a home, simply that I don't believe that owning a home should be the criteria to owning an EV, whatever EV that is, by the way.

Your post is interesting, and assumes a lot. I save as much money as I can as well, actually. As I said above, I don't believe that only people with a big house and a nice picket fence, purchased after years and years of hard larbor, should be able to own an EV, and that was the point of my original, snarky comment. Believe it or not, the sustainable aspect was the number one reason (by far) for me getting an EV. I never wanted or felt entitled to own a Tesla. I looked for the best EV possible through a lot of research, and it happened to be a Tesla. If you knew me, you would know that "looking cool" (whatever that means) is at the very bottom of my priority list.

But thank you for the condescending advice, I'll make sure to continue to save my Starbucks money (where I've probably spent $10 in the past 2 years) so I can be worthy of a Tesla in your eyes.
less pollution = no cars for inner city dwellers

should be able to own an EV
. . . Is it still about you?
It doesn't matter whether the 1 million EVs that can be produced in the next year go to you or some boomer drawing 2 pensions, social security, and has a paid off house that's worth 10X what he paid. They will still replace 1 million ICE. The difference is that if he buys at 30% margin, that will be more money to make more factories so the next year, there will be 4 million EVs produced. Eventually, we need to get to 100 million EVs produced so that we can replace all ICE. They will also get cheaper as the economy of scale continues to take effect enabling all to go EV.
My goal and effort goes to getting 100 million EVs in production, not getting one to someone who feels
worthy of a Tesla

In my opinion everyone on the planet is worthy of a Tesla. Apparently, that's Tesla's game plan as well and, for that, I've been supporting them.
As far as affording them: My advice for those without the spending power today should continue to drive whatever they are driving instead of replacing as soon as they might otherwise. They can then save their money. If you look at my long-view, that is furthering the cause just as much as driving an EV.
I've recommended this strategy to many over the past 2 decades that I've been advocating for EVs. Many of them have approached me later as EV prices came down to their savings + spending ability and they are now driving EVs. Sometimes Teslas, sometimes, used compliance EVs that only work for their normal commute. Its all good though and they're all heroes in my mind.
Regarding charging: It is tough with apartments and condos are even tougher. With an apartment, you might look to move to one that is EV friendly. Sure, it might cost a bit more but you're saving money keeping that old car aren't you?
With a condo, you've got money invested and committed and they are often tough places to install charging: Most will let you install them but it can cost $5K to $10K or more to retrofit them in condo garages. This is a lot but if you're serious and, again, you're saving those car payments, it will eventually be doable. The only question is: when?
I'm not just offering you condescending advice. I lived this myself. I waited the entire '90's for the EV1 that I learned about in '91. It was way out of my price range but we leaned forward and eventually got one in late '99. We used it to demonstrate the viability of EVs to anyone who would listen or join us for a test drive. After it was ripped from our hands, I inherited my late grandmother's old car, saving money until another EV was available. When Tesla came on the scene, I put a license frame on grandma's car that said "Waiting for my Tesla". Look where we are 15 years later but we still have work to do.
Sorry for any perceived condescending tone but you sound like a lot of other wiz kids who move to Si Valley with a great degree from a great school. Note: We all came there with fancy degrees from fancy schools. The Si housing market is driven not by where you came from or who you are but from money that comes from successful growth companies. Sadly, while hard work and a good education can help, there's also a bit of luck to be able to join the right company at the right time to make it big. Those who do, tend to drive up the market. Your time may or may not come. You may or may not stay there either.
Kudos on selecting a Tesla but please don't complain that it is someone else's job to provide your charging for you.