Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Policy changes and other horrible Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I hit a pothole from hell and popped 2 tires on my 2015 P90D. The apartment complex I was driving through to get to my service destination had me contact their insurance company. The insurance company immediately issued a $1,400 check to replace all of my tires.

That same day I noticed a clicking sound coming from the front end. I took it to Latham and they informed me there was $4,800 worth of suspension issues, including the subframe.

They dropped the nose cover of my car and discovered more issues. They sent me a photo of my front crash bar that was completely rotted through. They blamed it on an impact that caused the corrosion to happen. The only impact I have ever had was a jerk that brake-checked me and I rear-ended him 3-4 months ago, but the airbag did not deploy and I have a dimple in my nose cone but it didn't break. Unfortunately, he has to report that and I understand.

My front motor is making a metallic noise like it's short on grease/oil or the pump is not working to spec.

They also discovered my pack (original) has corrosion at the top portion after 346,000 miles, but no pictures were forwarded of the pack. my range was 232 when they decided to replace my pack under warranty.

They replaced my pack with a refurbished pack that has the latest tech as per the advisor. The pack installed has the same exact range as my old one and I was not happy. I asked how is it possible to find a pack with an identical range and he explained Tesla software locks it to where I was. I was amazed Tesla would even consider this considering that the pack was poorly built and they inconvenienced me for 3 weeks waiting for the pack. The mileage on my car is a tax deduction and the loaner miles are not. The longer they kept my car the more money I actually lost due to lower tax-deductible miles. I had a stove replaced once and Samsung did not use the stove before sending it to me. I don't remember Samsung using my fold 4 before replacing it due to a manufacturing issue, they sent me a brand-new phone in a box. I do understand they dont replace with new, but to software lock it? That's dirty and very low!

When it came to the motor, Tesla's policy is now that the motor has to fail, no more replacement when you're having issues, and the motor is driveable.

The crash bar should be a warranty replacement. There is no way imaginable that this type of corrosion can happen within 3-4 months.

I also think tesla installed a pack that's going to fail quicker as mine was bullet-proof and they needed to get it off the road. Why else would they not send me photos of the corrosion? Basically you need to be on the side of the road before anything gets fixed or replaced concerning the motor.

Tesla is very dirty now and no longer trusted

Attachments

• 20230302_113546.jpg
    20230302_113546.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 443
  • 20230302_113556.jpg
    20230302_113556.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 177
I also think tesla installed a pack that's going to fail quicker as mine was bullet-proof and they needed to get it off the road.

Tesla is very dirty now and no longer trusted

I agree from personal experience they are getting dirty. They were bad when I got my first Tesla, but dirty is how I would describe them now.

But think about it: If they need more revenue for the quarter, why bother to physically replace your reliable battery with one that will fail? They could easily send a command to your car when it’s outside of warranty to set off BMS alarms and reduce your range. Then you’ll be none the wiser while paying your new battery bill.

It’s scary to me what they can do with these software “upgrades” given how they have become dirty. Do we trust them?

In the same vain of not being able to trust these tech companies, Apple provides a battery replacement warranty if the battery drops below 80% capacity per their battery monitoring software. They push hard for you to buy their extra warranty so you get an extension on the battery warranty. When I buy a new iPhone the battery easily lasts the entire day. Within 2 years, without fail, I can only get 1/3 of a day. Logically, if 100% capacity equals all day, the 1/3 of the day means it’s dropped to 33%. Magically, the Apple battery capacity drops down steadily over those 2 years and flatlines at 81%, lol. See how they and Tesla have free rein?

Last edited:
346k miles. Wow. I'm having a hard time understanding why you are mad they won't replace your motor because it is getting louder with that many miles on it. I doubt another manufacturer would give a replacement prior to failure.

I can understand the frustration about the rust defect vs accident debate, but pretty much every other manufacturer out there would treat you the same. Nobody would replace that for free knowing there was a chance an accident caused it. Dealers try to wiggle their way out of responsibility all the time.

Be happy the vehicle has lasted as long as it has. There aren't many cars out there still running with that kind of mileage.

Reactions: buckets0fun
346k miles. Wow. I'm having a hard time understanding why you are mad they won't replace your motor because it is getting louder with that many miles on it. I doubt another manufacturer would give a replacement prior to failure.

I can understand the frustration about the rust defect vs accident debate, but pretty much every other manufacturer out there would treat you the same. Nobody would replace that for free knowing there was a chance an accident caused it. Dealers try to wiggle their way out of responsibility all the time.

Be happy the vehicle has lasted as long as it has. There aren't many cars out there still running with that kind of mileage.
What does the mileage have anything to do with contractual obligation? They replaced our motors when they made milling sounds and now they will not as per tech.

We bought these cars based on these promises and they are not being kept.

8 year "UNLIMITED MILES"

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
8 year "UNLIMITED MILES"
“… for any malfunctioning or defective Battery or Drive Unit”

I hear you, but it’s also entirely at Tesla’s discretion to determine what constitutes a defect, failure, or malfunction. “Noise” may or may not meet that threshold, and it does seem that threshold is subject to change over time at their discretion.

I hear you, but it’s also entirely at Tesla’s discretion to determine what constitutes a defect, failure, or malfunction. “Noise” may or may not meet that threshold, and it does seem that threshold is subject to change over time at their discretion.

That’s the “dirty” part. Tesla is redefining what the word “broken” means. Based on my experience with all the build quality issues of my MS, the new definition is if it drives on its own power and you didn’t die, then it’s not broken.

Reactions: ucmndd

You have to admit if it's making odd noises it is malfunctioning internally. This issue is Tesla doesn't have techs that can open these units and fix/replace the parts that are causing the sounds.

car was purchased as a CPO (when the program existed) from Tesla and guaranteed it was never in an accident. I have a recorded phone call (NY is 1 party state) for proof.
CPO means very little. A Guarantee doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. And there is no way to prove some damage happened before or after you bought it.

CPO never meant squat.

I’d be happy you got 347K out of it and move on.

Reactions: buckets0fun
If you can prove that Apple used fraudulent code to avoid warranty claims, then I know some lawyers that will become very rich getting us all $5.

Is it legally fraudulent though? I am sure Apple paid their lawyers a handsome sum to figure out how to get away with it. I am sure they have some language in their 5000 page T&C's that say they are allowed to change the definition of the word "percentage" as it relates to battery life. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's ethical. I mean, do you need to see lines of code to know that a battery that lasts only a 1/3 of the amount of time should be 33%, not 81%?? 🤣

You have to admit if it's making odd noises it is malfunctioning internally. This issue is Tesla doesn't have techs that can open these units and fix/replace the parts that are causing the sounds.

They for sure have the techs to open and repair those units, they just chose to not do it in a SEC but in the factory instead, and provide you with an already repaired unit.

And 346K miles on the battery pack, that is impressive!

Reactions: pipestem
CPO means very little. A Guarantee doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. And there is no way to prove some damage happened before or after you bought it.

CPO never meant squat.

I’d be happy you got 347K out of it and move on.
CPO meant a 128 point inspection was done, I bought 2 and both were renewed. A guarantee from them meant it never happened as per their inspection. They have to stand by it, every single court will tell you that. you cant just guarantee something, take someone's money and not stand by it. what world are you from?

I don't care if I had 2 million miles on the car, an obligation is an obligation, that's it. Same with a person buying a Tesla today and the price drops 20% the day you receive it, you have to pay what agreed to.

People need to stop giving Tesla a pass. If we hold them to task they will stop this nonsense and become a better company.

by the way, the front motor failed today!

Attachments

• 20230320_185741.jpg
    20230320_185741.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20230320_185743.jpg
    20230320_185743.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
CPO meant a 128 point inspection was done, I bought 2 and both were renewed. A guarantee from them meant it never happened as per their inspection. They have to stand by it, every single court will tell you that. you cant just guarantee something, take someone's money and not stand by it. what world are you from?
And what fantasy land are you living in?

I live in the real world. Where it can be unfair at times. And you just learn to suck it up. You’ll live longer.

That crash bar rusts very easily. I picked up a brand new one to replace the damaged one my P90D after a front end collision and in a weeks time with a little rain I noticed rust running the side out when the car moved. It is painted with some black primer on the outside, but likely exposed metal on the inside. I thought about giving it a spray but is relatively protected with the bumper in place.