Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla posts FSD demo video of Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Neat!

But hardly complex roads with lots of traffic and pedestrians. :)

I can’t wait for full actual self driving where you can do something else. That is the real game changer.

True, it wasn’t a crazy complex route but still way better than the current version of autopilot. I still wonder how they will handle the fringe cases. What if there is an accident and a cop is directing traffic around it? Will the car be able to follow the cops directions?

Impressive route with a variety of street and freeway driving including complex interchanges. But, they also revealed a level of navigation not current supported. All we can currently program is point to point navigation. This went well beyond this. Does this mean that waypoints are finally in our future?

You mean they've finally cracked the code that Garmin had in 2004? WE ARE LIVING IN THE FUTURE!

How does Tesla see all cars at a 4-way stop?
The front cameras are too narrow visioned and the side ones are pointing rearward.
I don't know how Model 3 was able to handle it at 1:11 on the video.
The cameras in the B pillars point sideways/forward.

I really wish they'd put out a realtime version of that video. I'd like to see how smooth the car takes the sharp turns and how it deals with merging lanes at various points. But given that this was a hardcoded (and probably thoroughly pre-tested) route, one probably shouldn't interpret too much into it.

The cameras in the B pillars point sideways/forward.

I really wish they'd put out a realtime version of that video. I'd like to see how smooth the car takes the sharp turns and how it deals with merging lanes at various points. But given that this was a hardcoded (and probably thoroughly pre-tested) route, one probably shouldn't interpret too much into it.
So 4-way stop is handled.

How about 2-way stops or no stop signs and the car will not be able to see side ways far enough to detect approaching traffic at 40mph.

So 4-way stop is handled.

How about 2-way stops or no stop signs and the car will not be able to see side ways far enough to detect approaching traffic at 40mph.
It's not clear how far away they can identify objects (there is certainly some limit to how fast cross traffic can be), but the B pillar cameras can look sideways perpendicular to the car, and supposedly the range is about 80m. See the light-green fields in this diagram:

X8INmDQ.png