Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla put in wrong account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for some tips if anyone has been in my situation. I bought a second hand model 3 from a reputable dealer a couple weeks ago, but we have been having major issues getting the car into my Tesla account.

After having spoken to Tesla Customer Service, it turns out the dealer made a single letter typo when transferring ownership and the car is sitting in a new account that no one owns or has access to.

Whist this can't be the first time someone has made a typo at this stage of the process, the customer service can't seem to figure out a method to transfer it to my account. They have tried 2 different methods (proof of ownership and merging accounts) but both seem to need some sort of verification from the account no one owns. Was told yesterday they were working a few different options yesterday afternoon and it should be in by end of day, but woke up this morning and nothing. Whilst the customer support people have been very helpful, it seems like my car is currently in a digital hole.

Any thoughts or tips from your experience would be welcome.

When you say it’s an account that no one owns or have access to, does this mean the email address is wrong?

If that’s the case - is it the alias (joebloggs@) part of the email that’s wrong, or the domain? (@gmail.com)?

Drastic measures but if it’s the domain part that’s wrong and the domain is available you could register it so you can intercept the ownership transfer email?

Yes, its the email address that is wrong and Its the "joebloggs@" part that is wrong (missing a letter). Currently on hold (at the 53rd min) trying to see if there are any other solutions. I have tried to set up that email, but someone already owns it (and in theory has been offered an account for my car), I also tried to set up an account with that email, but sent the setup info the the email I can't get to.

I'm looking for some tips if anyone has been in my situation. I bought a second hand model 3 from a reputable dealer a couple weeks ago, but we have been having major issues getting the car into my Tesla account.

After having spoken to Tesla Customer Service, it turns out the dealer made a single letter typo when transferring ownership and the car is sitting in a new account that no one owns or has access to.

Whist this can't be the first time someone has made a typo at this stage of the process, the customer service can't seem to figure out a method to transfer it to my account. They have tried 2 different methods (proof of ownership and merging accounts) but both seem to need some sort of verification from the account no one owns. Was told yesterday they were working a few different options yesterday afternoon and it should be in by end of day, but woke up this morning and nothing. Whilst the customer support people have been very helpful, it seems like my car is currently in a digital hole.

Any thoughts or tips from your experience would be welcome.
I don’t know the process but their master account can remove access and give it to others. Ask them to work a bit harder!

**Update** Tesla solved this. Finally got through to an extremely helpful Tesla customer service person who was surprised the other two found it so hard. Email my Tesla account asking for permission to merge the "other" account with mine and copy of photo ID. 5 min later car was in my account.

Should have been that easy the first time, but if anyone has this issue in future, ask for an account merge and offer photo ID.

**Update** Tesla solved this. Finally got through to an extremely helpful Tesla customer service person who was surprised the other two found it so hard. Email my Tesla account asking for permission to merge the "other" account with mine and copy of photo ID. 5 min later car was in my account.

Should have been that easy the first time, but if anyone has this issue in future, ask for an account merge and offer photo ID.
I had EXACTLY this issue and just got it solved be one of the most helpful CS associates I have ever encountered by the name of Dmitri. Previous owners had omitted 1 letter from my email address and I had submitted documents 3 times that had been rejected by sending back one of the most unhelpful auto-responses I have ever seen. Dmitri explained very quickly what happened, merged the accounts in real time while I waited and the car appeared in my account within 30 mins after 4 weeks of frustration. I'm sure if Tesla made their CS number a bit easier to find, others in similar situations could avoid the time wasted, but kudos to CS when you eventually find them.