Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Q2 2019 Vehicle Production & Deliveries - UK Model 3 perspective

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure they have always done it. I use to take car on and off Sorn long before no tax discs, often for just short periods, and can't remember being financially out of pocket by having a taxed car sat off road. Im sure I just cashed the tax back in when I stopped using it and got pro rata refund for the whole months I was not using it. Might be wrong though, its been a while and maybe I just use to tax it 6 months.

Technically you are correct it has always been possible to reclaim VED. SORN'ing a car has always resulted in an automatic refund and if you sold a car in the old days you were quite within your rights to take the disc off the screen post it to Swansea and ask for a refund of whole months, though it was far more common to sell the car as as includes "X months tax". If sold into the trade the first thing the trader would do would always be to claim back the remaining tax so as not to waste money while it sat on the forecourt.
The change with the abolition of tax discs is that now on change of ownership, or disposal into the trade, the DVLA now automatically cancel the VED and send the former keeper a cheque for the the balance of remaining full months ( unless monthly DD when they just cancel the DD) pretty much the same as if you SORN it.

Its typical of the modern con we all get stung with - like "Pay to display" and buying an extra hour "just in case you are delayed"

You sell on 15 June and get tax refund for "full months from 01-July" ...
... buyer has to pay for Tax "disc" from 01-June :(

Probably worked out by an account* and and double checked by a solicitor - they are both use to running multiple concurrent charging.

* not mine who is very fair.

The debate about AWD LR interesting for me. I ordered on 1st May and went for P+ then couple of days later downgraded to AWD LR, which then disappeared. I’ve been trying to fathom where the best value lies - have original invoice for P+ and new invoice for AWD LR...and been playing with the current configurator (cue analysis aplenty).

I can’t be certain if I’m being done over not upgrading to P-. For me the extra range was important and that won’t have changed. Just would like definitive cost structure and some clarity on the physical differences between models.

As you can probably tell, whilst i’ve been following this car for some time, I’m a relative novice in terms of the mechanics of the models.

Clear as mud!
w

If the quicker performance is important to you then the upgrade from LR AWD to P- seemed good value (to me, I upgraded).

I can’t be certain if I’m being done over not upgrading to P-. For me the extra range was important and that won’t have changed. Just would like definitive cost structure and some clarity on the physical differences between models.

Range of the P- will be exactly the same as LR AWD. It's only the bigger wheels of the P+ that cost a little range over the aero 18s.
Physically, the cars are the same. But the Performance model unleashes the full power potential adding a cool 100 hp over the LR AWD, which is a bargain for the £1500 cost difference, presuming you want performance. P+ gives you track mode (less conservative stability control) and a higher speed limiter, plus the bigger wheels, lower suspension, upgraded brakes and a few bits of cosmetic trim.

Unless you need a towbar fitted, I would upgrade to the P- otherwise you are very likely to lose out on resale (unless you are planning to keep it for a very long time).

Reactions: MrMajic