Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Q2 2019 Vehicle Production & Deliveries - UK Model 3 perspective

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any suggestions why they limited what you could order in June if it wasn't to match what they'd produced? If there were thousands of orders its kind of hard to believe all of them were white interior and no one had ordered the few hundred black interiors they'd made

Any suggestions why they limited what you could order in June if it wasn't to match what they'd produced? If there were thousands of orders its kind of hard to believe all of them were white interior and no one had ordered the few hundred black interiors they'd made
That is a good point, no. They did briefly limit the white interior after the initial order spike, then put it back again a few days later. Must have been to help match what they could produce at the factory for the next RHD run. They already had way more orders in May than RHD inventory.

I'm not aware of them limiting anything else, apart from de-listing the AWD and removing the 19" wheel option most likely to encourage orders of p- and p+.

They only reopened the White interior when the delivery date moved to July so I think its a fairly logical conclusion that up until that point they hadn't sold all the Black interiors in the first batch for delivery in June until early June, a month after the order book opened.

Nobody really knows publically if there are 5k UK orders of 500.

They only reopened the White interior when the delivery date moved to July so I think its a fairly logical conclusion that up until that point they hadn't sold all the Black interiors in the first batch for delivery in June until early June, a month after the order book opened.

Nobody really knows publically if there are 5k UK orders of 500.
I guess if they were focussing on shifting a batch of P+ orders first because that's what they speculatively built and shipped first (which nobody knows, but some are suggesting) then the majority (or more than expected) could have ordered P+ with a white interior, leaving a few too many P+ and P- with black interior spare. Could also suggest why they pulled the AWD LR, to get more P+ and P- black interior orders?

Tesla has disappointed thousands of customers in the UK.

They knew they how many reservations they had and this translated into over 1000 orders on the 1st day the car went on sale.

I ordered on 1st May and believed estimated delivery would be late June or early July. Tesla must have known it had no capability to deliver. On 4 June I had a call to ask can I take delivery w/c 8 July, but on the 29 June I am told they have no idea when they will deliver the car! Therefore 2 months after ordering the car, I do not know when I will get it.

The referral code option was omitted on 1st May and although they state they will correct this and accept referral codes retrospectively, this issue is still unresolved.

Add in changes to the options, price, towbar, invoices, complete lack of communication and shareholder issues, it makes you question how stable is this company.

Questions have been raised as things are so bad, is there going to be an after sales problems, such as the service centres and SuC's. Once all the Model 3's are delivered that have been ordered to date, it will increase the number of Tesla's in the UK by about 50% and could double inside 12 months.

All of this could have been mitigated by publishing reasonable delivery estimates. If when we ordered in May they said they expected cars to be delivered in August onwards, with a few released earlier to early reservation holders, almost everyone would have accepted the position. The cliche "under promise and over deliver" is never so true.

The launch of the Model 3 should have been a great success but has left many frustrated and disappointed with Tesla, and these are customers, some of whom have had a reservation since 2016. This is a shambles and the only bright point is that it does look like we will get our cars in August or September, which is still considerably quicker than almost every other EV's on the market and it does appear to be an outstanding car, but still leaves a bad taste.
Any delivery Date yet RjB ??
Cheers Leo
I did the same as you and had call from Tesla saying Mid July hopefully but no word yet

No delivery date apart from the mid-July estimate I was told way back in June. No VIN, no final invoice. Just a credit note that appeared on my manage page today for the deposit and reservation fee. Something to do with finance arrangements apparently.

Not sure why anyone would be surprised or annoyed at Tesla organising their manufacturing and delivery priorities to maximise Q2 results. Musk made a clear statement internally and externally that Q2 was a key quarter for them so this was inevitable. Shipping to the USA would undoubtably have been top of the list in terms of logistics and therefore speed from manufacture to cash. And, let’s face it, the UK market is small in comparison.

As for Tesla deliberately misleading, I’m not so sure about this either. When I was looking to order towards the end of May the website said estimated delivery June. Tesla staff in Bristol however told me that based on the information they had a delivery date of Sept was far more likely. So I went in with that expectation when I ordered early June and nothing I’ve seen since changes that expectation. For sure, people who ordered online without talking to anyone at Tesla prior to pressing the order button would have different expectations and may be disappointed but how many people make such a considered (and expensive) purchase as this without talking to anyone? I suppose quite a lot would given Tesla’s limited coverage in terms of retail stores, but again, I don’t think it’s a case of deliberately misleading, I think it’s just pretty poor communication as evidence suggests this is not a strong point for Tesla. I’m pretty relaxed about it. My car will arrive when it arrives. I’d like better communications on when that may be so I can sell my current car, but that’s about it.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
As for Tesla deliberately misleading, I’m not so sure about this either. When I was looking to order towards the end of May the website said estimated delivery June. Tesla staff in Bristol however told me that based on the information they had a delivery date of Sept was far more likely. So I went in with that expectation when I ordered early June and nothing I’ve seen since changes that expectation. For sure, people who ordered online without talking to anyone at Tesla prior to pressing the order button would have different expectations and may be disappointed but how many people make such a considered (and expensive) purchase as this without talking to anyone? I suppose quite a lot would given Tesla’s limited coverage in terms of retail stores, but again, I don’t think it’s a case of deliberately misleading, I think it’s just pretty poor communication as evidence suggests this is not a strong point for Tesla. I’m pretty relaxed about it. My car will arrive when it arrives. I’d like better communications on when that may be so I can sell my current car, but that’s about it.

I'm in the 'glass half full' camp too. Tesla are not great with communication, they are not great with managing delivery expectation. They're also not great at keeping their own staff informed but I'll tell you what they are great at.... making bleeding edge, world changing cars.

I'd rather have it that way round than perfect customer experience and a pish motor.

I'm not sure when mine will arrive, but when it does I'll love it.

“Not great with communication” is an understatement.
I’m also just waiting and it arrives when it arrives, but let’s call a spade a spade: their communication and the chaos they convey is absolutely shocking :)

In my experience of ordering new cars from traditional vendor dealer networks, the challenges seem very similar. Last time I did so was Land Rover for a Discovery Sport, the whole purchase experience - and post sales support experience - was pretty amateur in terms of communications. My approach with ANY new car now is to focus on the car itself and shrug my shoulders at the rest of the purchase experience. Not that I’d accept failure or incompetence above a certain level, there has to be a line, but Tesla haven’t crossed it for me yet. I must be a tolerant type as I get older (isn’t it supposed to be the opposite? :)).

I guess if they were focussing on shifting a batch of P+ orders first because that's what they speculatively built and shipped first (which nobody knows, but some are suggesting) then the majority (or more than expected) could have ordered P+ with a white interior, leaving a few too many P+ and P- with black interior spare. Could also suggest why they pulled the AWD LR, to get more P+ and P- black interior orders?

P- was never even an option until after the spec changes. At one point Elon himself announced that all M3s would be white interior only - except for certain markets. No idea what that means for future uk cars? Given that the average Brit is scared to death of anything that isn't grey or black I'm not sure they will ever drop the black interior. At some point solid white exterior is also going to become the standard colour, which will no doubt affect future orders too. All fun and games!

You seem to have focused on this ^ as Tesla's main driver. It doesn't seem all that critical to me. Their main driver was more likely maximising Q2 sales to beat their previous personal best, which they achieved and possibly at the expense of delaying RHD deliveries. The uk market was always planned to open around the time it did (actually it opened a bit later than some expected). Given that some RHD cars were delivered in June, then it made perfect sense to open the order book in May. If zero uk cars had been delivered and none were on the way yet then your theory might have been more believable.
Six months ago best guess for UK deliveries with my Reservation date, according to independent projections, was January 2020. I am not going to get despondent that my (9.30am 1May) Order may not happen in July (or it might, who knows). Chaotic or no, Tesla have been delivering and will, I am confident, go on doing so. We need to keep perspective.

In my experience of ordering new cars from traditional vendor dealer networks, the challenges seem very similar. Last time I did so was Land Rover for a Discovery Sport, the whole purchase experience - and post sales support experience - was pretty amateur in terms of communications. My approach with ANY new car now is to focus on the car itself and shrug my shoulders at the rest of the purchase experience. Not that I’d accept failure or incompetence above a certain level, there has to be a line, but Tesla haven’t crossed it for me yet. I must be a tolerant type as I get older (isn’t it supposed to be the opposite? :)).

I ordered a VW golf, fairly early in the process you're given a reference number, you can then watch your car being scheduled into manufacturing, all of the manufacturing stages, then moved to the docks and transported to the dealer - if fossils can do it surely it's simple on the small Tesla scale.

Reactions: RjbT3