TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Tesla Q2 2019 Vehicle Production & Deliveries - UK Model 3 perspective

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by RjbT3, Jul 2, 2019.

1. RjbT3

RjbT3 Member

Precisely!

2. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

But yet you seem disappointed it didn't happen just because the website estimated a June/July delivery. I only ever read anywhere else that deliveries would begin in late June, which they did. I expect deliveries will ramp up over the next few months.

3. RjbT3

RjbT3 Member

I'm not at all disappointed. Many do seem to be though.

4. GeorgeSymonds

GeorgeSymonds Member

Any suggestions why they limited what you could order in June if it wasn't to match what they'd produced? If there were thousands of orders its kind of hard to believe all of them were white interior and no one had ordered the few hundred black interiors they'd made

5. RjbT3

RjbT3 Member

That is a good point, no. They did briefly limit the white interior after the initial order spike, then put it back again a few days later. Must have been to help match what they could produce at the factory for the next RHD run. They already had way more orders in May than RHD inventory.

I'm not aware of them limiting anything else, apart from de-listing the AWD and removing the 19" wheel option most likely to encourage orders of p- and p+.

6. GeorgeSymonds

GeorgeSymonds Member

They only reopened the White interior when the delivery date moved to July so I think its a fairly logical conclusion that up until that point they hadn't sold all the Black interiors in the first batch for delivery in June until early June, a month after the order book opened.

Nobody really knows publically if there are 5k UK orders of 500.

7. RjbT3

RjbT3 Member

I guess if they were focussing on shifting a batch of P+ orders first because that's what they speculatively built and shipped first (which nobody knows, but some are suggesting) then the majority (or more than expected) could have ordered P+ with a white interior, leaving a few too many P+ and P- with black interior spare. Could also suggest why they pulled the AWD LR, to get more P+ and P- black interior orders?

8. Leo UK

Leo UK Member

Any delivery Date yet RjB ??
    Cheers Leo
    I did the same as you and had call from Tesla saying Mid July hopefully but no word yet

9. RjbT3

RjbT3 Member

No delivery date apart from the mid-July estimate I was told way back in June. No VIN, no final invoice. Just a credit note that appeared on my manage page today for the deposit and reservation fee. Something to do with finance arrangements apparently.

10. interbear

interbear Member

Not sure why anyone would be surprised or annoyed at Tesla organising their manufacturing and delivery priorities to maximise Q2 results. Musk made a clear statement internally and externally that Q2 was a key quarter for them so this was inevitable. Shipping to the USA would undoubtably have been top of the list in terms of logistics and therefore speed from manufacture to cash. And, let’s face it, the UK market is small in comparison.

As for Tesla deliberately misleading, I’m not so sure about this either. When I was looking to order towards the end of May the website said estimated delivery June. Tesla staff in Bristol however told me that based on the information they had a delivery date of Sept was far more likely. So I went in with that expectation when I ordered early June and nothing I’ve seen since changes that expectation. For sure, people who ordered online without talking to anyone at Tesla prior to pressing the order button would have different expectations and may be disappointed but how many people make such a considered (and expensive) purchase as this without talking to anyone? I suppose quite a lot would given Tesla’s limited coverage in terms of retail stores, but again, I don’t think it’s a case of deliberately misleading, I think it’s just pretty poor communication as evidence suggests this is not a strong point for Tesla. I’m pretty relaxed about it. My car will arrive when it arrives. I’d like better communications on when that may be so I can sell my current car, but that’s about it.

• Like x 1
  11. Calisaar

Calisaar Member

I'm in the 'glass half full' camp too. Tesla are not great with communication, they are not great with managing delivery expectation. They're also not great at keeping their own staff informed but I'll tell you what they are great at.... making bleeding edge, world changing cars.

I'd rather have it that way round than perfect customer experience and a pish motor.

I'm not sure when mine will arrive, but when it does I'll love it.

• Like x 2
  12. ACarneiro

ACarneiro Active Member

“Not great with communication” is an understatement.
    I’m also just waiting and it arrives when it arrives, but let’s call a spade a spade: their communication and the chaos they convey is absolutely shocking :)

• Like x 1
  13. interbear

interbear Member

In my experience of ordering new cars from traditional vendor dealer networks, the challenges seem very similar. Last time I did so was Land Rover for a Discovery Sport, the whole purchase experience - and post sales support experience - was pretty amateur in terms of communications. My approach with ANY new car now is to focus on the car itself and shrug my shoulders at the rest of the purchase experience. Not that I’d accept failure or incompetence above a certain level, there has to be a line, but Tesla haven’t crossed it for me yet. I must be a tolerant type as I get older (isn’t it supposed to be the opposite? :)).

14. LEE3

LEE3 Member

The majority of this frustration could have me been avoided if they had just stated July/ August when the order page opened and not June. They could have then stated a small number of lucky people will receive at end of June and the majority of people would have always though July or August as the timeframe.

• Like x 4
  15. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

P- was never even an option until after the spec changes. At one point Elon himself announced that all M3s would be white interior only - except for certain markets. No idea what that means for future uk cars? Given that the average Brit is scared to death of anything that isn't grey or black I'm not sure they will ever drop the black interior. At some point solid white exterior is also going to become the standard colour, which will no doubt affect future orders too. All fun and games!

16. Rob R

Rob R Member

Six months ago best guess for UK deliveries with my Reservation date, according to independent projections, was January 2020. I am not going to get despondent that my (9.30am 1May) Order may not happen in July (or it might, who knows). Chaotic or no, Tesla have been delivering and will, I am confident, go on doing so. We need to keep perspective.

17. goRt

goRt Member

I ordered a VW golf, fairly early in the process you're given a reference number, you can then watch your car being scheduled into manufacturing, all of the manufacturing stages, then moved to the docks and transported to the dealer - if fossils can do it surely it's simple on the small Tesla scale.

• Like x 1
  18. -DB-

-DB- Member

Reports of people who have VIN's in the source code getting calls/texts today stating August deliveries

19. ElectricJoules

As a NOOB please can anybody confirm that a AWD LR is identical to a P- with the exception of the software?
    Thanks.

20. james_power

james_power Member

Yes, there are no hardware differences between the two cars, the AWD LR has a software limited acceleration profile.