Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla really needs to step up their SUV game (BMW iX impressions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My situation is I'm getting divorced, and I either need to refinance my current car or get a new one. Today I test drove a 2024 BMW iX and I left blown away.

Yes, it's a little smaller (5 seats vs. 6, but considerably more useable cargo area). It lacks air suspension (they stopped that after 2023 apparently). It's not quite as fast to 60mph (I tested).

That said, the interior comfort is on a completely different level. Real leather seats with a decent massage function, the ability to change bolster shaping, outstanding sound system (I tested the Bowers & Wilkins upgrade w/ the bass shakers in the seats), the list really goes quite a bit on.

The HUD was excellent, as was the parking camera and a few other little features the X lacks. Car Play on a big, wide screen is just great. There isn't a back screen but after having that for a year in the X I'm convinced it's not a value add in any way.

The handling is considerably better, and the drive overall is very nice with much better road noise isolation than a model X.

It might not be your taste or whatever, but the important point is this: I can get a lease of an absolutely loaded out iX for less than I pay for my X currently. It's a better car in almost every way. I'll miss the windshield, and air suspension, and.... that's about it TBH.

I'm a huge Tesla fan, but IMO they really need to step up what they're offering for six figures if they want to stay competitive.

52469378699_4fcf33e855_b.jpg

"BMW iX electric SUV in Costa Rica" by mariordo59 is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Looks like a kid that need braces. I know. I had the same problem before with my 2 front teeth before braces!

And then there is CCS.... Maybe BMW USA will hop on the NACS bandwagon.

I hope everyone adopts the NACS plug so I can use these two Gen 3 Wall connectors that I installed in my garage without a $200 NACS to J1772 adapter. Locking into the Tesla ecosystem was proof again that I am one dumb-azz MF'er.

PS, I am going to continue to be very salty until I actually get my $ back from the Trash MX. Tying up $50k cash and having to wrangle two $100+k cars on my credit simultaneously just so I can haul my family and MIL is very aggravating. The buyback or lemon process sucks. I have to be able to afford 2 cars, but only have access to 1 since the MX is still in the shop.

@h2ofun, I hope your next EV is a Mercedes or BMW.

I hope everyone adopts the NACS plug so I can use these two Gen 3 Wall connectors that I installed in my garage without a $200 NACS to J1772 adapter. Locking into the Tesla ecosystem was proof again that I am one dumb-azz MF'er.
At least adapters are available. In that way it's not a true ecosystem that you are locked into. At least your L2 chargers are usable at all. But Ford has made the move so others may follow. Ford is also going to offer NACS to CCS adapters to existing customers. I'm borrowing a CCS-NACS adapter for my trip this weekend to take the kids to summer camp. There are 4 200kW CCS chargers (each with multiple chargers) on the way while the only SC is 30 minutes out of the way, each way, so adds 1 hour to the trip. Adapters are going to be a way of life for a while.

At least adapters are available. In that way it's not a true ecosystem that you are locked into. At least your L2 chargers are usable at all. But Ford has made the move so others may follow. Ford is also going to offer NACS to CCS adapters to existing customers. I'm borrowing a CCS-NACS adapter for my trip this weekend to take the kids to summer camp. There are 4 200kW CCS chargers (each with multiple chargers) on the way while the only SC is 30 minutes out of the way, each way, so adds 1 hour to the trip. Adapters are going to be a way of life for a while.

Hmmm I guess there are two adapters then...

The NACS to J1772 adapter for normal L2 charging... and a NACS to CCS adapter to support DC Fast Charging.

I think since I went from 2 Teslas to 0 Teslas (Freaking Tesla grrrrrr) I just will stare at these useless Gen 3 wall connectors for a while.

Hmmm I guess there are two adapters then...

The NACS to J1772 adapter for normal L2 charging... and a NACS to CCS adapter to support DC Fast Charging.

I think since I went from 2 Teslas to 0 Teslas (Freaking Tesla grrrrrr) I just will stare at these useless Gen 3 wall connectors for a while.
Well, ignoring the size and usability, a CCS adapter will work for both AC and DC charging. So you only NEED one adapter. But in practice it's probably easier to get a NACS-J1772 (L2/AC) adapter and leave that pugged into your Tesla Wall Connector. Then keep the NACS-CCS (L3/DC) adapter in the car. I think as these things become more common, they will get cheaper.

Well, ignoring the size and usability, a CCS adapter will work for both AC and DC charging. So you only NEED one adapter. But in practice it's probably easier to get a NACS-J1772 (L2/AC) adapter and leave that pugged into your Tesla Wall Connector. Then keep the NACS-CCS (L3/DC) adapter in the car. I think as these things become more common, they will get cheaper.

I’m just going back to ice. Less headaches.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
My situation is I'm getting divorced, and I either need to refinance my current car or get a new one. Today I test drove a 2024 BMW iX and I left blown away.

Yes, it's a little smaller (5 seats vs. 6, but considerably more useable cargo area). It lacks air suspension (they stopped that after 2023 apparently). It's not quite as fast to 60mph (I tested).

That said, the interior comfort is on a completely different level. Real leather seats with a decent massage function, the ability to change bolster shaping, outstanding sound system (I tested the Bowers & Wilkins upgrade w/ the bass shakers in the seats), the list really goes quite a bit on.

The HUD was excellent, as was the parking camera and a few other little features the X lacks. Car Play on a big, wide screen is just great. There isn't a back screen but after having that for a year in the X I'm convinced it's not a value add in any way.

The handling is considerably better, and the drive overall is very nice with much better road noise isolation than a model X.

It might not be your taste or whatever, but the important point is this: I can get a lease of an absolutely loaded out iX for less than I pay for my X currently. It's a better car in almost every way. I'll miss the windshield, and air suspension, and.... that's about it TBH.

I'm a huge Tesla fan, but IMO they really need to step up what they're offering for six figures if they want to stay competitive.

View attachment 943074
"BMW iX electric SUV in Costa Rica" by mariordo59 is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
Lots of input but I want to know the RANGE and SPEED ? where do I charge while on the road? 🤔

I’m just going back to ice. Less headaches.
I'm saving between $650 and $750 each month on fuel. No way I'd ever think of buying another ICE. And given my amount of driving, is impossible to consider any other brand due to the ubiquitous prevalence of super chargers everywhere I go now. Forget buying any other brand: I need to be able to fuel up everywhere, easily and Tesla has that nailed with the supercharger integration in the navigation screen. So convenient to see in real time how full a location is, so I can reroute to another less full super charger location.

I'm not interested in buying another brand that ignores the need for charging networks that make the EV even more convenient than an ICE. Plus I hope to never set foot in another stealership (dealership) for the rest of my time on earth. It looks like Ford might be starting to 'get it' about charging and transparent pricing, but all the other brands are just treating EV's like business as usual, ignoring charging and subjecting their customers to the evil stealership 'experience'.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was wondering if anyone could please clarify what the difference is between Tesla and the BMW iX's Level 3 autonomous driving. The only thing I know is that the iX doesn't require hands on the steering wheel versus Tesla requiring it. Is it just comparing Tesla's Autopilot feature or the whole FSD? Thanks in advance!

I'm saving between $650 and $750 each month on fuel. No way I'd ever think of buying another ICE. And given my amount of driving, is impossible to consider any other brand due to the ubiquitous prevalence of super chargers everywhere I go now. Forget buying any other brand: I need to be able to fuel up everywhere, easily and Tesla has that nailed with the supercharger integration in the navigation screen. So convenient to see in real time how full a location is, so I can reroute to another less full super charger location.

I'm not interested in buying another brand that ignores the need for charging networks that make the EV even more convenient than an ICE. Plus I hope to never set foot in another stealership (dealership) for the rest of my time on earth. It looks like Ford might be starting to 'get it' about charging and transparent pricing, but all the other brands are just treating EV's like business as usual, ignoring charging and subjecting their customers to the evil stealership 'experience'.

BTW, I maximized our home's roof space to put as many solar panels as possible to charge BEVs. And I'm also stupid enough to have 3 Powerwalls, 2 Tesla wall connectors, and had a strong desire to to charge Tesla BEVs in the coolest way possible. I believed the same as you about this BEV vision. But I've removed those rose colored glasses.

The general manager of Dublin, CA Tesla doesn't give a crap about customers (because he used to run Louis Vuitton I guess?). Based on his actions, our household will never buy a Tesla again; since we don't expect any Tesla service center to actually step up to address safety issues when presented with the issue. The buyback we ended up signing came from someone outside of the Dublin Tesla center; if left to their own devices, Dublin Tesla wouldn't have done a damn thing.

The news that came out a few days later just re-affirmed our beliefs that Tesla may be great on some things, but has significant issues to address to maintain their superiority.

I think we both agree that Tesla's BEV tech is top notch... when it's working.

But where we differ is that Tesla's service/humans behind the scenes cannot be expected to back their products. It's not worth shelling out $120k or putting my family through this BS again to save a few bucks on electrons vs fossil fuel. And the competition isn't ready yet with their BEV offerings. So ICE sounds pretty good for the time being.

I just don't get it. BMW and comfort?! I guess one must be a real MB hater for this.
Just another strange post about perceived BMW superiority.
Sure, anyone can find something more appealing in BMW than in Tesla. The choice of colors maybe...
But if you decide to go with old design, charging unfriendly, expensive vehicles, iX just suks (pardon my French) in comparison with EQS.
So I don't get it with the BMW. CP/AA is a crutch. I would consider MB's software against Tesla, but BMW until recently at least was a joke, so sure they want Car Play. Perhaps BMW should better focus on bikes, its car sales are going down anyway.

i have owned audi and mercedes and seen many other ppl owning these brands... never lasted more than 100k miles...

camry or tesla... that s it...
Many original owners of Audi 8 series or MB of E and S klasse do not really care what happens after 100k. If you do, then sure most "luxury" cars should be out of consideration.

I have a model x. Great vehicle. Worst part? Service. No one to talk to. Appointments rescheduled via a message. Currently still have 4 weeks to go for an appointment for suspension issue. No loaners, no taxi credit. Even no direct person to talk to last time I picked it up as I had questions, and an error message was showing in the vehicle which was not there when dropped off. Invoice noted I needed tires replaced. Good thing I read it as no one told me in person! ( the fact that really only 2 tires need to be replaced is also a bit irksome as maybe they only measured one tread?).:
In comparison went to BMW to do a service on another vehicle. Phoned in, spoke to someone, appointment scheduled, and taxi chit given when dropped off. Loaned me an i4 to do a test drive when i dropped off my car as they saw me taking a peek. When I got back the car was washed and they walked me through the invoice.

When driving the i4 my first thought was ‘serene’ compared to our X. I really like Tesla, but they need to step up their communication, service, as well as interiors.

Last edited:
No FSD, but the highway driver assist is at least as good as the advanced autopilot was on my old S. I'll definitely miss the supercharger network... that's the one huge one. However, I don't really take road trips anymore so it's not as big a deal as it used to be.

It's bigger than the Y, not quite as big as the X. If you need the 3rd row the X is still the only game in town really. I don't anymore because divorce, so for me it's waaaayyyyy more luxury for slightly less money.
It is better than basic AP because it is silent (ni bing bong when enanlijg) and it re-enables itself after lane change.

Regarding SC - NY already has few SCs open to non-teslas. I can bet that in year or two there will be plenty of SCs available for non teslas. Maybe even all.

Look at us in Europe - it's happening

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
I have a model x. Great vehicle. Worst part? Service. No one to talk to. Appointments rescheduled via a message. Currently still have 4 weeks to go for an appointment for suspension issue. No loaners, no taxi credit. Even no direct person to talk to last time I picked it up as I had questions, and an error message was showing in the vehicle which was not there when dropped off. Invoice noted I needed tires replaced. Good thing I read it as no one told me in person! ( the fact that really only 2 tires need to be replaced is also a bit irksome as maybe they only measured one tread?).:
In comparison went to BMW to do a service on another vehicle. Phoned in, spoke to someone, appointment scheduled, and taxi chit given when dropped off. Loaned me an i4 to do a test drive when i dropped off my car as they saw me taking a peek. When I got back the car was washed and they walked me through the invoice.

When driving the i4 my first thought was ‘serene’ compared to our X. I really like Tesla, but they need to step up their communication, service, as well as interiors.

Yeah the lack of a loaner is so weird. Tesla customers seem totally fine with it though?

I don't understand how people with families drop off their family vehicle for extended service without a loaner. How are you all picking up the kids without your car seats? Or schlepping a bunch of people around without... a loaner car?

Reactions: cdub