Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla really needs to step up their SUV game (BMW iX impressions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My situation is I'm getting divorced, and I either need to refinance my current car or get a new one. Today I test drove a 2024 BMW iX and I left blown away.

Yes, it's a little smaller (5 seats vs. 6, but considerably more useable cargo area). It lacks air suspension (they stopped that after 2023 apparently). It's not quite as fast to 60mph (I tested).

That said, the interior comfort is on a completely different level. Real leather seats with a decent massage function, the ability to change bolster shaping, outstanding sound system (I tested the Bowers & Wilkins upgrade w/ the bass shakers in the seats), the list really goes quite a bit on.

The HUD was excellent, as was the parking camera and a few other little features the X lacks. Car Play on a big, wide screen is just great. There isn't a back screen but after having that for a year in the X I'm convinced it's not a value add in any way.

The handling is considerably better, and the drive overall is very nice with much better road noise isolation than a model X.

It might not be your taste or whatever, but the important point is this: I can get a lease of an absolutely loaded out iX for less than I pay for my X currently. It's a better car in almost every way. I'll miss the windshield, and air suspension, and.... that's about it TBH.

I'm a huge Tesla fan, but IMO they really need to step up what they're offering for six figures if they want to stay competitive.

52469378699_4fcf33e855_b.jpg

"BMW iX electric SUV in Costa Rica" by mariordo59 is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I go to Dublin and have been quite happy with their service. When I have had something that needed immediate attention like a flat tire or the car will not go into drive on my X75, it has been attended to immediately and resolved in a timely manner. The tech even showed me how he disconnected the first responder wire to resolve the drive issue. That issue never happened again, but if it does, I now know how to deal with it. And even minor issues like a factory dropped screw rolling around on the door of my 2022 X were handled in a day.

On the plus side, if your 2022 Model X ever craps the bed and quits working while you drive it...

Assuming you avert crashing and dying... you'll probably take your car into Dublin Tesla. So there's a chance your loaner will be a 2023 Ultra Red 7 seater with white interior and 22" rims and a yoke. Hopefully it won't smell like stale farts.

You can thank me later when you get that loaner. It's a pretty bad ass Model X.

On the plus side, if your 2022 Model X ever craps the bed and quits working while you drive it...

Assuming you avert crashing and dying... you'll probably take your car into Dublin Tesla. So there's a chance your loaner will be a 2023 Ultra Red 7 seater with white interior and 22" rims and a yoke. Hopefully it won't smell like stale farts.

You can thank me later when you get that loaner. It's a pretty bad ass Model X.
I have never gotten a loaner from Tesla (or from BMW during the last few years pre-Tesla years). BMW never seemed to have them or only had a few, and they were always allocated to other customers. I usually have my wife just pick me up. Just one of the many advantages of working from home for the last decade or so.:)

Reactions: GasNah
The fact that the car is not selling says a lot about the general public's feelings about the car. I can't get over the styling, especially the grill. And I used to lease 2 BMWs ever 3 years. I think we did that for 20 years. It is definitely not the same company and dealers today that it was 10 years ago.
I had bad experience with a BMW a long time ago so I never considered getting another one haha. I was interested after hearing a few people here talking about the iX. We know someone that just recently leased an iX and informed us that one of the doors in the back wouldn't lock and the dealer wasn't able to fix it so they gave them a month or so of free lease. Hopefully they get it resolved eventually though. I guess all cars have the potential of having issues soon after taking delivery, sigh.

I had bad experience with a BMW a long time ago so I never considered getting another one haha. I was interested after hearing a few people here talking about the iX. We know someone that just recently leased an iX and informed us that one of the doors in the back wouldn't lock and the dealer wasn't able to fix it so they gave them a month or so of free lease. Hopefully they get it resolved eventually though. I guess all cars have the potential of having issues soon after taking delivery, sigh.

Yeah, we didn't even get the new GLS home before it told us to take it in for service on the 48v battery lol. But the difference is that Mercedes gave us another loaded GLS as a loaner and had the car was fixed in 2 days.

Tesla told us to get rekt and couldn't fix the car for over 30 days. I think if Tesla had just gotten us in a decent/new 2023 loaner Model X, it wouldn't have been such a big deal. But their absolute refusal to provide a decent loaner or rental is a dealbreaker if a family is relying on a family vehicle each day.

Reactions: maytaurustiger
Yeah, we didn't even get the new GLS home before it told us to take it in for service on the 48v battery lol. But the difference is that Mercedes gave us another loaded GLS as a loaner and had the car was fixed in 2 days.

Tesla told us to get rekt and couldn't fix the car for over 30 days. I think if Tesla had just gotten us in a decent/new 2023 loaner Model X, it wouldn't have been such a big deal. But their absolute refusal to provide a decent loaner or rental is a dealbreaker if a family is relying on a family vehicle each day.
Thanks for sharing regarding the MB GLS. Yeah it's unacceptable how Tesla treated you and your family and took so long and still not able to fix it! Hopefully they process the buyback of your car already or asap.

Thanks for sharing regarding the MB GLS. Yeah it's unacceptable how Tesla treated you and your family and took so long and still not able to fix it! Hopefully they process the buyback of your car already or asap.

Fingers crossed on the buyback as well.

The unacceptable part was them telling us a car that mysteriously shut down was perfectly safe and our kids were fine since all teslas are glitchy.

The problem is not about stopping... it's the detours, charging time, etc.

An 18 hour road trip with a minivan with detours (due to charger locations) could easily be 24-26 hours in an EV and thus require another overnight hotel stop. Do that with kids and it becomes painful and expensive.

Too many are focused on range and charge times with an EV. Who cares. Road trip with an ICE car. Problem solved :)
I am sure, this could be much worse. I propose a 42 hour detour through the middle of nowhere without hotels at 0F outside and no way to heat the car because the battery is running low. We need trains, steam engines, back! And horses.

My situation is I'm getting divorced, and I either need to refinance my current car or get a new one. Today I test drove a 2024 BMW iX and I left blown away.

Yes, it's a little smaller (5 seats vs. 6, but considerably more useable cargo area). It lacks air suspension (they stopped that after 2023 apparently). It's not quite as fast to 60mph (I tested).

That said, the interior comfort is on a completely different level. Real leather seats with a decent massage function, the ability to change bolster shaping, outstanding sound system (I tested the Bowers & Wilkins upgrade w/ the bass shakers in the seats), the list really goes quite a bit on.

The HUD was excellent, as was the parking camera and a few other little features the X lacks. Car Play on a big, wide screen is just great. There isn't a back screen but after having that for a year in the X I'm convinced it's not a value add in any way.

The handling is considerably better, and the drive overall is very nice with much better road noise isolation than a model X.

It might not be your taste or whatever, but the important point is this: I can get a lease of an absolutely loaded out iX for less than I pay for my X currently. It's a better car in almost every way. I'll miss the windshield, and air suspension, and.... that's about it TBH.

I'm a huge Tesla fan, but IMO they really need to step up what they're offering for six figures if they want to stay competitive.

View attachment 943074
"BMW iX electric SUV in Costa Rica" by mariordo59 is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
They will do after FSD is done.

Reactions: 10dot

View attachment 943074
You’re spot on.
I’d like to see Tesla’s share in the super premium segment (SUV & Sedan). I don’t think they have the same share as they’ve in the 3/Y segment.
Where Tesla really shines is the efficiency (and the SC network but that’s opening up). People keep praising software but infotainment on my M3 works as it should 1/3 times. I’d trade it with CarPlay anyday.

You’re spot on.
I’d like to see Tesla’s share in the super premium segment (SUV & Sedan). I don’t think they have the same share as they’ve in the 3/Y segment.
Where Tesla really shines is the efficiency (and the SC network but that’s opening up). People keep praising software but infotainment on my M3 works as it should 1/3 times. I’d trade it with CarPlay anyday.
Sorry about your divorce and I don’t know how old you are but you’re better off with the BMW if you want to best attract your future companion. 😲😂🤣👍🏻

• Funny
Reactions: 10dot and GoVols!