Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla reduces output of Y and 3 in Shanghai

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's get honest here and not pretend to live a fantasy. UK summers are getting hotter, my answer is to add aircon to all the bedrooms. I know that is actually the worst thing to do interms of reducing consumption which drives changes in weather patterns, but why wouldn't you add aircon if it makes hot summer nights more bearable?

As for paying more, would you vote for a party that promises to cut down on unnecessary air travel by putting on an additional £200 on each plane ticket? Instantly you will reduce pointless short haul flights, but a family holiday to Europe is now £800 more expensive on flight, though you can always just drive. How many votes would that policy get?

Money is artificial and ultimately fake, it actually doesn't even relate to any real assessts, but it makes the world round. There is a theory's that the inhabitants of Easter Island died because they chopped down every tree around till there was no more to chop down. Humanity as a whole is heading in the same way, just be hopefully none of us live long enough to see the final show down.
I have aircon for all bedrooms and all other rooms. Wife originally gave me so much grief on this but grumbling admits it was worth it. She can now turn her study into a sauna without heating up the rest of the house.

The kids love it, especially as their bedrooms turn into furnaces in the summer.

History is full of civilisations that came and went. Why should we think our civilisation will last forever? It’s the most successful yet but could also fail in the most spectacular of fashions.

None of us truly care about the environment, otherwise we wouldn't be here buying new cars that have an environmental impact to produce and transport. Anyone who says they are purchasing an expensive new EV/SUV thing because of the environment is deluded and/or lying to themselves to make themselves feel better.

The only thing anyone cares about is their bank balance.
Speak for yourself.

This car was my first ever brand new car and I have no intention of selling as long as it still drives. I've only owned used cars before and not many of them because I run them until they can't function. The exception being my previous car which I only had for 3 years.

I bought this car with environment in mind, and I don't think that's deluded because me driving it along with the source of it's energy has much less impact on the environment. I wouldn't be able to do that with an ICE car. Yes the manufacturing process is more damaging but I expect that to swing the other way during my ownership.

Of course just changing car is little on its own. There are other things I do to reduce my impact that I think many here wouldn't entertain.

Tesla UK sales in 2024 (year to date, ie January and February) up by 67%, market share of 2.1% against 1.39% last year. Source - SMMT
This is without the discounting we saw last year. Unlikely to see Tesla folding any time soon.
This is a bad comparison because Tesla was very much about end of quarter shipments last year in the UK and not so much these days - need to wait for the end March figures to properly compare.

Reactions: boombap
I bought this car with environment in mind, and I don't think that's deluded because me driving it along with the source of it's energy has much less impact on the environment.
If you had the environment in mind you’d have purchased a used car and ran that into the ground. Heck, you could have purchased a used Leaf and ran that into the ground in order to make yourself feel even better, or done away with a car completely and used public transport, walked or cycled everywhere.

You bought this expensive, heavy EV that was shipped all the way from Fremont or Shanghai because you wanted a fancy new car. That’s all there is to it, the fact you can virtue signal off the back of it is a bonus.

Personally I would be prepared to pay more in order to make the transition if that was necessary.
You were prepared to pay more because you, like the rest of us here, were wealthy enough to do so.

f you have children and grandchildren I would have thought you would be wanting them to have a chance of a better future.
I do have children. I don’t subscribe to this Just Stop Oil nonsense that the world is going to be uninhabitable in the future, my children, any future grand children and their children will all be fine.

Though I would still be buying ICE if EV didn't have better performance/price ratio.
🎯

This is a bad comparison because Tesla was very much about end of quarter shipments last year in the UK and not so much these days - need to wait for the end March figures to properly compare.
Reducing manufacturing at their China factory might not be a slowing of sales in the UK specifically as we are just one smallish market for that factory but overall for Tesla and many car makers, EV sales aren't great. Still growing I'm sure but just not at the pace to take all the extra cars and models being produced.

A lot of the new design, nice cars from makes are based on an EV only platform that are hitting the market or soon to do so. The ICE cars those brands sell assuming they are legacy auto are all old platforms that other than changing out the lipstick on them are getting no investment. They'll just keep selling them until the EV switchover fully happens.

Volvo and Porsche for instance are examples of this. Sell cars like the XC models which are long in the tooth for those that want an ICE or PHEV until the EX models fully take over. Porsche is going to do the same, electric Macan on sale while the old ICE Macan also will be (In markets which allow it). That ICE Macan though is long in the tooth, same as the Volvo cars.

Issue here comes when all your fancy new metal is EV based and there's not enough demand to shift it though.

If you had the environment in mind you’d have purchased a used car and ran that into the ground. Heck, you could have purchased a used Leaf and ran that into the ground in order to make yourself feel even better, or done away with a car completely and used public transport, walked or cycled everywhere.

You bought this expensive, heavy EV that was shipped all the way from Fremont or Shanghai because you wanted a fancy new car. That’s all there is to it, the fact you can virtue signal off the back of it is a bonus.

You were prepared to pay more because you, like the rest of us here, were wealthy enough to do so.

I do have children. I don’t subscribe to this Just Stop Oil nonsense that the world is going to be uninhabitable in the future, my children, any future grand children and their children will all be fine.

🎯
Some people care about the environment, some people don't. It depends on your upbringing and your outlook on the world.
The great thing about Teslas (and other EVs) is that they make sense on so many different levels. You don't have to be an "eco nut" to justify getting one.

Some people care about the environment, some people don't. It depends on your upbringing and your outlook on the world.
The great thing about Teslas (and other EVs) is that they make sense on so many different levels. You don't have to be an "eco nut" to justify getting one.
I think then it depends on the financials. People with access to a salary sacrifice scheme (Normally also better paid folks) or people that can buy via a company, then yes. Charge at home and do enough miles to justify the extra cost of the EV vs an ICE then yes. For most less well paid folks, normally without a driveway not at all.

Its not black and white and there are options between the extremes, but it is true that many people bought a Tesla simply beause it is the smart/practical/convenient choice. That is Tesla's mission, to make cars that are so good at their price it would not make sense buying anything else. The current high Model Y inventory numbers only tell that Tesla hasn't told that story well enough.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Tesla’s mission is to make as much money as possible, that’s why they supposedly make record profit margins on each car sold.

If their mission was truly about accelerating EV uptake they’d have sold the cars for as little as possible.
Well they are still a company, have shareholders and need to make a profit but they plow a good amount back into R&D, building more factories and so on also. They aren't a charity, if they didn't make enough they'd fold when the times got tough.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I have a family member who is retired, owns a home with a driveway, drives 2(!) miles per day and takes an occasional weekend 100 miles round-trip. She considers herself environmentally conscious. She wants to buy a hybrid. Why would she, who is an absolute ideal candidate for an EV, which would be a massive improvement over her current gas car, be hesitant about buying an EV?

The media. Every single day she sees stories about how EVs are 'not working', enormous recalls, people stranded at chargers. Do combustion vehicle recalls make the news? Somebody's new gas BMW broken down make the news? An unhappy customer of a Mazda? Never. Negative news stories about EVs make money, so every outlet is scrambling to make as many as possible. What else can she believe?

If their mission was truly about accelerating EV uptake they’d have sold the cars for as little as possible.
That's quite a short term view. The only way to fund R&D and to invest in order to make future products is to make a profit on the current ones.
Tesla are still very much in the early stages of the life cycle and have high capital expenses to build factories and buy equipment so I think it's fair that they do it with capital rather than debt.

Tesla’s mission is to make as much money as possible, that’s why they supposedly make record profit margins on each car sold.

You haven't been paying attention or just trolling?

Why would you accuse someone of “trolling” like that? Are you based in the US, by any chance?
I don’t agree with @Zilla91 on his opinion there but it’s a perfectly reasonable opinion to have.

Why would you accuse someone of “trolling” like that? Are you based in the US, by any chance?

Nope.

I don’t agree with @Zilla91 on his opinion there but it’s a perfectly reasonable opinion to have.

Is bit caricature the way he puts it, which is typically associated to troll behavior. By troll I mean trying to provoke people.

There is nothing to back his opinnion, so it seems like a trope.

Reactions: boombap
Nope.

Is bit caricature the way he puts it, which is typically associated to troll behavior. By troll I mean trying to provoke people.

There is nothing to back his opinnion, so it seems like a trope.
A lot of what gets posted on here is opinion, not fact. Some are more grounded, some are just guesses.
@Zilla91 can be a tad provoking sometimes but I see no reason to go straight onto the offensive.

That said, thank you for posting those links. They come from Teslarati, though, which isn't a site renowned for being either of very good quality or especially unbiased ;)

Ah, because you should believe anything Musk says.

Call me a cynic, but to have to engage in price cuts to boost flagging sales and competition from China and then claiming it’s actually all for the greater good sounds far too convenient.

By troll I mean trying to provoke people.
I’m not trying to provoke anyone. Disagreeing with you or having a contrary opinion isn’t a provocation

Try to not take it too personally, no one here is insulting you or attacking you

But that would see many companies including dealerships out of business and then what choice would there be?

Call me a cynic, but to have to engage in price cuts to boost flagging sales and competition from China and then claiming it’s actually all for the greater good sounds far too convenient.
Everyone is cutting prices in China, but in fact Tesla is a winner. It has the headroom to cut prices and still make a profit. Pretty much everyone except BYD and Tesla lose money on EVs in China. Plus the market for ICE is collapsing there...

... as BEVs and PHEVs approach 50% of the Chinese market >> BYD sees NEV share reaching 50% in the next 3 months in China as EV price war heats up

I have a family member who is retired, owns a home with a driveway, drives 2(!) miles per day and takes an occasional weekend 100 miles round-trip. She considers herself environmentally conscious. She wants to buy a hybrid. Why would she, who is an absolute ideal candidate for an EV, which would be a massive improvement over her current gas car, be hesitant about buying an EV?

The media. Every single day she sees stories about how EVs are 'not working', enormous recalls, people stranded at chargers. Do combustion vehicle recalls make the news? Somebody's new gas BMW broken down make the news? An unhappy customer of a Mazda? Never. Negative news stories about EVs make money, so every outlet is scrambling to make as many as possible. What else can she believe?
The media in this country is hugely corrupt. I'm all for freedom of speech but the reality is it's the voice of just a couple of decision makers pushing the agenda and then stories are found to fit that narrative. It's not there to educate us on the world, it's there to bend our views to their bidding.

Causes so many issues in this country because most don't realise they are being taken advantage of.