Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla releases new solar panel, slashes prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They’ll charge your card for the $100 deposit immediately, but they won’t try to charge you for the whole price of the system. At some point in the process they will ask if you want a loan or if you are going to pay on your own, but either way the payment isn’t due until the system is installed.

For the $100 they will do quite a bit of work (assuming they are able to install in your area and can proceed). The design team will use google map overhead photos if possible to suggest a layout for your approval and based on what system size/price you choose and give you equipment list with product specs to review. Ask your questions to firm things up. At this stage you can make changes before they will prepare documents that you will need to review and sign. You will be asked to submit photos of your main panel area and panel set up. If you have an HOA, you will be asked to get any approvals you need. They will during this period go to your city to file for required permit.

Our city at this point asked for changes to our main panel (had to be updated to a 225A bus bar and end feed, same 200A rating still). Our panel labeling had fallen off years before so we did not know what make/model the main panel the developers used. The city pulled plans from more than a decade before to determine we needed the upgrade. Pretty costly upgrade and Tesla was willing to work with us on this but their main panel guy was booked out so we elected to have our own electrician do the work. Yep, another permit and inspection with the city. Timing was really bad for us as covid shut down the work mid March as it was about to start until early June when electrical only could start up.

During this post-contract time we were asked to submit additional photos of the outside of our house at main panel, photos of our inside garage area where work there would be done, submit our HOA approval letter, maybe a few more items.

At some point while waiting we decided to add another PW when prices for larger systems came down and knew it would save us money over adding later. Another contract was prepared and signed. Tesla filed an amendment to our permit for the extra equipment, but despite being handle differently in other cities, ours made them file an additional permit just for the third PW. We haven’t paid any additional funds beyond our $100 deposit (except for our main panel work outside of Tesla). Our second permit was approved last week so we expect Tesla to contact us soon about scheduling. A 1/2 deposit amount on our order will be due then when they show up; and they will collect the second half of the deposit at day of install. With all approvals in place they will then contact PG&E for the PTO.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
I ordered a 12.24 kW system on Friday evening and I got my initial design today. This is the equipment included:

upload_2020-6-22_15-22-14.png

upload_2020-6-22_15-24-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-22_15-23-2.png
    upload_2020-6-22_15-23-2.png
    683.8 KB · Views: 39
  • upload_2020-6-22_15-23-23.png
    upload_2020-6-22_15-23-23.png
    683.8 KB · Views: 47
Speculation is that it’s a Hanwha QCell 340W G6 panel, but I don’t know that anyone knows for sure. The specs that have been published seems to match up and before the change they were using Hanwha QCell 315W G5 panels.

That is correct, i have 24 of them in my backyard - They go on the roof tomorrow (The Telsa team had to come off the roof due to lighting today!)

Unfortunately they won’t be. The new panels were just announced yesterday and any orders in progress were designed and will be delivered with the original panels. To change panel types your system would need to be redesigned and repermitted. It sounds like Tesla is doing that for people who ask, but it could push back your install date significantly. I did see one post that said that Tesla indicated that the new panels won’t even be in stock for at least 10 weeks.

People with open orders to purchase panels can call Tesla to get a bit of a rebate after the panels are installed so their pricing more closely matches the per watt prices of the new systems. I don’t know if they are offering anything to renters like that, but it certainly wouldn’t hurt to call and ask.

Good luck with your install:)

Not True - Call them and demand the new panels, you can get them, but might have to shift to a new install day. They updated my order over the course of a week, got permitted, got the equipment in, and didn't even have to move my date!

Reactions: njhtran