Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla releases new solar panel, slashes prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per an Electrek article, Tesla updated their solar panel offerings and prices.
Tesla releases new solar panel, slashes prices - Electrek

See below for Before and After prices in California. Pricing will vary by state. Tesla simplified their Powerwall only pricing. The "Install solar + Powerwall together" discount is now uniform for all options letting users mix and match solar and Powerwall sizes online.

Before
Capture1.JPG

After
Capture2.JPG

Edit: Effectively Powerwalls are now $6,000 each with a flat $5,000 install fee.

I'm getting rental panels tomorrow. Hope they're the newer ones!

Unfortunately they won’t be. The new panels were just announced yesterday and any orders in progress were designed and will be delivered with the original panels. To change panel types your system would need to be redesigned and repermitted. It sounds like Tesla is doing that for people who ask, but it could push back your install date significantly. I did see one post that said that Tesla indicated that the new panels won’t even be in stock for at least 10 weeks.

People with open orders to purchase panels can call Tesla to get a bit of a rebate after the panels are installed so their pricing more closely matches the per watt prices of the new systems. I don’t know if they are offering anything to renters like that, but it certainly wouldn’t hurt to call and ask.

Good luck with your install:)

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Medium sized arrays readily available at less than $2/Watt(before credits).....this is a huge turning point for the market. Amazing progress Tesla!

Next is a centralized service org coordinating ALL aspects of installed and service. This should be fairly easy relative to all the other steps Tesla has taken. Hopefully the higher ups realize it's time to make an exception to the "just provide a product" phase of scaling.

I'm in Utah and was thiiiis close to buying an 8.56 kw system for roughly 24k from a local installer and I stumbled across the Tesla pricing changes. Utah is not very friendly with incentives on "green" tech/updates and I don't think pricing is very competitive here but if these panels are available in my area, and according to the site they are, it may be a helluva deal.

Anyone know what actual brand these panels are? Would LOVE to hear they're a Panasonic offering from Buffalo, but I highly doubt it.

Speculation is that it’s a Hanwha QCell 340W G6 panel, but I don’t know that anyone knows for sure. The specs that have been published seems to match up and before the change they were using Hanwha QCell 315W G5 panels.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
There is no option to check availability. Only to place the order (choose the form of payment: CC or Apple Pay).
Ok, I placed my order. Tesla has confirmed it:

Your solar order is confirmed

Welcome to Tesla. Your solar order is confirmed. Thank you for helping to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

What’s Next?

We will reach out to you as solar becomes available in your area.

So I guess this confirms that it is not available yet... :(

That doesn’t sound hopeful:(. I’m a little surprised that it even let you place the order if solar isn’t available there. You can call Tesla energy at 877-571-7652 to check on the status of your order and confirm if or maybe when it will be available for you. They are only open M-F though, so you’ll have to wait until tomorrow to call.

I sent them an email. I don’t think they will charge my card on file without my explicit approval. The credit limit is not that big anyway.

They’ll charge your card for the $100 deposit immediately, but they won’t try to charge you for the whole price of the system. At some point in the process they will ask if you want a loan or if you are going to pay on your own, but either way the payment isn’t due until the system is installed.

Reactions: DriveMe