Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replaced my MCI units because of poor production in the winter, but now it's much worse.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Still waiting for someone to communicate with me from the production team...
...............I continue to contact support, still no response...........
When I had a possible issue with my installer, V3, they wrote back the same day saying they would schedule. They called next day to schedule. But wait, I had to pay more money :) Sorry, cannot resist.

Was contacted by my local tech, Tesla will be changing my MCI units and Inverters to Tesla model. I'm glad to hear that this was decided.
I Just cannot get scheduling to contact me or return my calls....Mailbox full and my attempts to reach out to support go unanswered. My system is going to be 2 years old at the start of March, and I don't think I'll have this resolved before then.

Getting the new Tesla Inverters installed today.
Unfortunately, the MCI unit replacement will be delayed so I will not be producing power until they come back out to complete the install.
I am not joking or exaggerating at all here, this is really how it's going for me everyone. How can I possibly refer a friend?

Getting the new Tesla Inverters installed today.
Unfortunately, the MCI unit replacement will be delayed so I will not be producing power until they come back out to complete the install.
I am not joking or exaggerating at all here, this is really how it's going for me everyone. How can I possibly refer a friend?
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but I dont think Tesla needs you to recommend them. The reason people go with them is price primarily, and the occasional bad experience won't change the financials much.

Hope your system is back online soon!

Reactions: brkaus
Tesla crew made it out to my house today.
They replaced the MCI units on the east and north side of the roof.
Only 1 out of 6 lines working for now until a crew can come back out to complete the south facing part of the roof.
Seems they did not map out the location of the MCI's, so they need to remove all the tiles in the back to locate the units.

This is likely the case of bad products and planning being one of the first installs in the state.
The 1 line being furthest from the sun seemed pretty promising. Although I need to wait some more now, I truly hope this can be corrected soon.
Looking forward to some good solar production. 🤞

To be continued....

@Thomias - just wanted to offer some encouragement: It has been 6 months since Tesla replaced the inverter and MCIs for my solar roof and I've seen a 25% increase in my roof's production since the replacement. I'm still curious to see how well it does in the summer months, but things look good so far. Hope your fix is similarly successful.

The crew that did my replacement had the same issues yours seems to have had with locating the MCIs - no map was recorded, so everything had to be pulled up to figure out where the old MCIs were. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the crew I had recorded where they put the new MCIs either (even though they grumbled about the original crew's lack of documentation).

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
@Thomias - just wanted to offer some encouragement: It has been 6 months since Tesla replaced the inverter and MCIs for my solar roof and I've seen a 25% increase in my roof's production since the replacement. I'm still curious to see how well it does in the summer months, but things look good so far. Hope your fix is similarly successful.

The crew that did my replacement had the same issues yours seems to have had with locating the MCIs - no map was recorded, so everything had to be pulled up to figure out where the old MCIs were. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the crew I had recorded where they put the new MCIs either (even though they grumbled about the original crew's lack of documentation).
Thanks for the info @trautmane2 , glad it worked out.
This has been a tedious process. I am hoping for a completion this month, considering I posted here in September due to low production last (2021/22) winter.

Tesla crew was out yesterday and replaced all the remaining MCI units. A few shingles are cracked, so we now have to wait for some more to be shipped out and installed.
Hit a peak of about 8.3kW today, which is lower than both previous versions strangely. With Delta Bypass MCI I would be around 10kW (last hit in March) peak, and with originals I hit around 13kW at peak (2021 summer readings).
Hopefully it is further diagnosed due to it's worse performance. Perhaps the cracked tiles are causing the current poor production.
I will post updates as they come.

Reactions: BGbreeder
First support person found that the new Inverters were not added properly into system, and the old gateway wasn't removed.
This step is now completed, but no change in production.
Will reach back out today for further investigation.

Just adding my observations below:
Can very well be an issue with Inverter 2 string(s). Inverter 2 seems to be under performing a lot.
Previous inverter production which was already a bit lopsided; Inverter 1 at about 67%, of total power and Inverter 2 at 33% roughly.
Now it seems that Inverter 1 is producing 80% and Inverter 2 is only 20% of the total power.
I think this needs investigating and balancing so that each Inverter is closer to 50% of the total power production.

Received a response but leaving out the name of the representative of Tesla:

Upon review from our Systems Diagnostic team, the system is wired correctly and none of the strings were found to be faulty. The system is operating as it should based on regional seasonality.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to visit Energy Products Support | Tesla Support to chat or use your mobile app for additional information. To use the chat feature, log in with your email. Select ‘Support’, ‘Get Help’, and your Tesla product to start a chat.

We can be reached Monday through Friday from 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Standard Time.

Thank you,
Tesla Energy Customer Support

I replied to the email, but I have a feeling that this is going nowhere.

I now explained how the issue started 1.5 years before, and how it's getting worse with the changes instead of better.
I'll keep this post updated as a record and hopefully to help some others out there with similar issues.

Do you have real time input level data from the inverter(s) that you could share with us for a sunny day near noon? And do you have the supposed topology of how the roof active panels are stringed to the inverter(s)?

Sorry if you've already provided that, I didn't review the thread, but you also have obviously made some changes from the beginning of the thread, so current info would be best. Tesla should have reviewed all of the above to see if they show any design problems, but I imagine more sets of eyes on that could only be helpful.

Cheers, Wayne

I replied to the email, but I have a feeling that this is going nowhere.
I rarely (if ever) had any success communicating with Tesla reps via email.
My guess is you are going to need to call.

I'm also guessing that if daily production is not dramatically low (e.g. < 50%) and there isn't an obvious component failure, they may not listen to you until you have month(s) of data showing your shortfall.

With regard to @wwhitney 's request: one down-side of having the new Tesla inverter instead of the Delta inverter is that (to my knowledge) you can't get historical string production data from the inverter. The best you can do is reboot the inverter and connect to it within the first 15 minutes or so after startup to see real-time string production.

Reactions: Thomias
Trautmane2, thanks for the input. I believe you are correct with both the issue and Inverter info. Thanks!
I was really hoping to see something similar to the results you had with approximate 25% increase.

Wayne, unfortunately it is more of a rough draft because with the crews coming out here to replace MCI units they said nothing is in the correct place or documented. It's been a bit of a mess, but I was one of the first homes in the state of Illinois to have this roof installed. Thankfully, it was just after the new underlayment release... I can't imagine how frustrated I'd be if I had leaks on top of this all.

Layout is attached below if it helps at all.
1685632658684.png

With regard to @wwhitney 's request: one down-side of having the new Tesla inverter instead of the Delta inverter is that (to my knowledge) you can't get historical string production data from the inverter. The best you can do is reboot the inverter and connect to it within the first 15 minutes or so after startup to see real-time string production.
Real-time production data at a single point in time would still be helpful if it is at the string level or inverter input level. With data on how the tiles are stringed together, that could let you check for problems like a west facing string being paralleled with a south facing string.

Cheers, Wayne

Layout is attached below if it helps at all.
Presumably south is the bottom of the page? What is the roof slope?

What would be further required is splitting up each region into subregions showing the parallel strings of solar tiles. Or at a minimum, knowing how many DC circuits are coming the inverter(s) and how those are connected to the inverter inputs. Ideally you should know which region of solar tiles on the roof corresponds to which cable at the inverter.

Cheers, Wayne