Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replaced my MCI units because of poor production in the winter, but now it's much worse.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 Emails and 3 weeks later. Completely ignored.
No response to acknowledge receipt of my email or reply of any kind.

My system production:
July 2021 vs July 2022 vs July 2023
2947kWh* vs 3090kWh vs 1486kWh (2021 - Inverter2 was down for almost 2 weeks)

Aug 2021 vs Aug 2022 vs Aug 2023
2838kWh vs 2671kWh vs 1293kWh

Sep 2021 vs Sep 2022 vs Sep 2023
2507kWh vs 1661kWh vs 900 kWh

Anyone at Tesla reading this, please help a customer out!... Hello?! ....
Yes, something is seriously wrong there.
I have 11 years of monitoring. I have a log by years and months. First full year was my best overall production. Last year is in 2nd place.
None of the months changed 50% or more from one year to next. But then, I have Enphase micros that have a foolproof wiring setup.
I feel for you.

Reactions: Thomias
Yes, something is seriously wrong there.
I have 11 years of monitoring. I have a log by years and months. First full year was my best overall production. Last year is in 2nd place.
None of the months changed 50% or more from one year to next. But then, I have Enphase micros that have a foolproof wiring setup.
I feel for you.
Thanks for sharing, that's cool I would have liked to go with Enphase.

Thanks for sharing, that's cool I would have liked to go with Enphase.
As an example, should have posted numbers above, have 12 July reports (2012-2023) 581kWh lowest, 661 kWh highest.
Aug, same 12, 511kWh lowest to 640kWh highest,
Sep, same 12, still half of today but weather is miserable, 470kWh to 622kWh.
Weather is very bad this year for production. May 2023 is the highest producer of all times, any month, for me at 734kWh with this May being the worst month of May at 535kWh.
My takeaway is weather that matters short of a system issue as what you have.

Reactions: h2ofun

My system production:

Welcome to the issue that many of us face.
Continue to call, continue to email.

Sorry, I have not updated in a while.
Mainly because NOTHING is happening.

Put in another request, but I feel I'm just being ignored now.

As to @charlesj, I'm in Chicago Area not California, so I cannot confirm or contest your weather issues. My system is consistently lower every month since the changes.
I would not be accepting these results. I am assuming you have reached out to your attorney general or an attorney? Have you pushed warranty on them yet? I really feel bad for you. As much as these things cost, they should operate better.

I would not be accepting these results. I am assuming you have reached out to your attorney general or an attorney? Have you pushed warranty on them yet? I really feel bad for you. As much as these things cost, they should operate better.
Appreciate your concern. I really wanted to avoid any type of legal action, however it's becoming more and more clear that I may need to initiate the conversation in such a manor. I'll be making a few more attempts personally before I decide to take that route.

Responded today with : Everything is functioning optimally.
It seems they leave me no choice but to begin legal action.
This is the worst way to do business period. Especially when it's clear there was error and no proper documentation from the start.

After App update, you can no longer view data for the week, only day and month. In addition, some of my data is completely false or corrupted as you can see from some of the data below.

My system production:
2947kWh* vs 3090kWh vs 1486kWh (2021 - Inverter2 was down for almost 2 weeks and still produced as much as in 2022 and way more than this year)

Oct 2021 vs Oct 2022 vs Oct 2023
2MWh vs 526kWh vs 534kWh (2021 Data is corrupted and 2022 had 7 days of 0 production)

Nov 2021 vs Nov 2022 vs Nov 2023
558kWh vs 633kWh vs 254kWh (2022 corrupt data showing a day that produced 265kWh so in reality would be around 400kWh)

Wish I knew what they are looking at to determine everything is fine.
Give me back the Delta Inverters and original Delta MCI units at the very least. Then I can get back to my original production which is much better.

I received a call from scheduling today, on the day of my scheduled service (7am-1pm window) at 10:12am. They told me the technician will not be able to come out today and the next available date was Friday, March 15th.

We wait again.

Tech came out on the 15th, and it seems they just discussed the situation with me and looked around.
No investigation or testing completed at all. Why am I making a tech appointment? Can't they come out and look around between jobs?
Maybe take some photos?
Now Tesla says they need more "data". So I am waiting once again for mystery data and reaching out to see if there is something I can do to help and expedite.

Wow, never seize to disappoint. Only consistent thing about Tesla for me so far. I hope there are not too many others in my situation.

I think I will have to create a new thread to rant and inform about my 2013 Model S experience as well. I think that post will be coming soon.

My system production:

Hi Thomias, we have the same exact problem and fight with Tesla Solar for our solar panels. Same symptoms that you have with your system: a dramatic drop in solar production all of a sudden (both in the "peak height" of the daily production curve and total kwh produced in any given day, including "sunny days" where we used to see 55-65 kwh in the summer months in prior years, but now only seeing maximum of 25-30 kwh). After months of back-and-forth fighting with Tesla Customer Support, where they repeatedly denied there was any production problem (despite the fact that I kept telling them our monthly production in summer months (June, July, August) in 2023 is only about half of what we observed in prior years. Our solar panels were installed in March 2021, so we can compare to 2021 and 2022. Couple of the technicians who came out to our property suspected that the issue is with faulty MCIs (required by CA code), but even after replacing the MCIs (on two different visits), we still have the same problem. The only time when our system temporarily went back to "normal" was when one technician disconnected all 3 MCIs in Oct 2023 (he could not replace the MCIs then as they were out of stock). We had a couple of months in the winter that production seemed more normal, even though there weren't a lot of sunny days. However, when the MCI became available, Tesla requested us to schedule an appointment to replace the MCI (x1) which we did in Jan 2024, and now the same issue with lower production since the replacement. When we called customer support (5 times since the replacement as we could tell the production problem came back), their customer support reps insisted that there is no production issue they can identify according to their Tier 2 team review, that they replaced the MCI, now everything is working property according to their assessment. I wish we didn't follow the instruction to replace the MCI and just left them disconnected...

Oh, and the best part: after fighting with the customer rep for > 1 h today, requesting a status update, she told me the same BS (system deemed fully functional and no issue with production identified), and the PO states that there is no guarantee on amount of electricity production. If we insist on having a technician come out and they can't identify any problems, it would be a $300 charge for the site visit.

I'm fed up with the repeated gaslighting and Tesla's Customer Support refusing to acknowledge a problem / unable to provide a solution even though the root cause appears to be with the MCIs. I do not understand what has changed with the system, as we had great solar production for the first 2.5 years after install, and the nightmare appeared out of the blue in ~ July 2023. I am afraid you are in the same predicament as us, and now we are looking into arbitration to request compensation for our lost production (estimated 3200 kwh in 2023 compared to 2022). And the best part? We still can't get Tesla to admit there's a problem and so no solution is being offered. We may just be stuck with lemon solar panels until we get resolution from the arbitration...shame on a company that touts technological advances and claims to be able to make self-driving cars, but can't seem to figure out simple things like circuit breakers (MCIs).