Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Restores Power To San Juan Children’s Hospital

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla shared photos today of its first solar and battery instillation in Puerto Rico at a children’s hospital in San Juan.

The company said the project at Hospital del Niño is the first of many going live to support the recovery of Puerto Rico following destruction caused by Hurricane Maria.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has pledged to work with officials to build microgrids using Tesla Energy solar panels and the company’s Powerpack battery system. The company has created similar microgrids around the world and Musk says “there is no scalability limit.”

Around 85% of Puerto Rico is still without power. Reconstruction of transmission lines and electrical infrastructure could take upwards of six months to complete before power can be fully returned to the island.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced earlier this month a decision to postpone the unveiling of its electric truck, Tesla Semi, to give more attention to helping restore power in Puerto Rico.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ModelX
Pretty sure it's you and me. Sounds to me we would be better off shipping tankers of cheap LNG and build a natural gas plant and stick to solar panels on residential roof tops

The NG power plants already exist. The problem is downed power lines. There are linemen sent from US, fixing these as we speak. The other efforts just don't get as much PR as Tesla gets, reinstating power to what 50 people may be? Puerto Rico population is ~3.5 mil.
Another 70000 of these installs will be needed (ballpark). Curious, where else is Tesla restoring power? I think 80% of PR is still without power.
This is no doubt a good thing to do. May help when the next storm hits. But not really a rapid fix.

How tech, private companies are working to get electric, phone services back to Puerto Rico

For those who are curious, it's a donation. Those 5 Powerpacks alone likely cost about half a million dollars. Then, add the panels. The huge footprint of the system in a densely populated city also seems like a hard sell. With 5 Powerpacks (1 MWh) to supply about 12 hours of night time, this is at most 100kw system. Tough to convince Puerto Ricans to pay such high price to conserve power to a 35 bed hospital.
Tesla Turns Power Back On At Children's Hospital In Puerto Rico
The hospital's new system allows it to generate all the energy it needs, according to El Nuevo Dia. The facility has 35 permanent residents with chronic conditions; it also offers services to some 3,000 young patients, the newspaper says. As for who is paying for the power system, the head of the hospital tells Nuevo Dia that for now, it's a donation — and that after the energy crisis is over, a deal could make it permanent.

For comparison, two 50 kw diesel generators cost roughly $32k in total, and doesn't depend on weather or rain. Only thing needed is diesel, and it can supply power for many hours. It has a footprint of 8 ft by 3 ft; less than the space and weight of a compact car.
Generac Protector RD05034GDAE ® 50kW Automatic Standby Diesel Generator 120/208V 3-Phase

Doing some quick napkin math here. At half a mill a pop, doing 70k of these for whole Puerto Rico would cost $35B! 1/3rd of Puerto Rico's GDP! If PR had that kind of money, its electric company PREPA could maintain the power lines in a much better shape.

Last edited:
Did you just breeze over a diesel generator's fuel cost? What about maintenance? How long does that gen run going 24/7? Do you want to run diesel generators outside a children's hospital all day forever?

Any Tesla fan should know right off the top their head that solar+storage is far cheaper for any island application. Rooftop and parking canopy solar plus a bit of offshore wind plus grid storage plus residential storage. You get to 100% easy with that mix.

Did you just breeze over a diesel generator's fuel cost? What about maintenance? How long does that gen run going 24/7? Do you want to run diesel generators outside a children's hospital all day forever?

Any Tesla fan should know right off the top their head that solar+storage is far cheaper for any island application. Rooftop and parking canopy solar plus a bit of offshore wind plus grid storage plus residential storage. You get to 100% easy with that mix.
It's a standby generator that runs only when power is out. So the cost of diesel for a few days/hours a year is not a big deal. Maintenance may be some work. But I think, labor is cheaper in Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico's power wasn't that bad. Still better than many other places in the planet.

The generators can run thousands of hours before major overhauls, like 30,000 hours (3+ years).
https://power.cummins.com/sites/default/files/literature/technicalpapers/PT-7004-Maintenance-en.pdf

"Do you want to run diesel generators outside a children's hospital all day forever?"
Why? Is this an outdoor bed hospital where the beds are lined right next to the diesel gen?
See the link above. These are routinely used for hospitals, airports, etc. Even Tesla uses them sometimes to power temp superchargers.

BTW, just checked this hospital's facebook page. It seems, they already had a generator, but were looking for a backup to the backup generator. No wonder they make no mention of being without power for 3+ weeks.
Hospital del Niño de Puerto Rico
translated from facebook site Oct 1 said:
The child's hospital needs diesel to continue working
The hospital pediatric institution also requires a power plant that serves as a backup to the one that they use without rest.
It was hard for me to imagine a hospital in Puerto Rico (with unstable grid and frequent storms/outages) without a backup power generator, so I checked.
This whole thing may just be a joint PR effort of Ricardo and Tesla. but didn't really change the number of people left without power. Also explains, why the hospital head is not so excited to pay for it; expects this as a permanent donation. He is probably more annoyed at the loss of all those parking spaces. ;)

Now, this makes me look like a fool, quoting an NPR article where the headline reads "Tesla turns power back on..". I had hoped, today's journos will do a bit more validation before just repeating hear says in hundreds of articles.

Last edited:
Translated from:
El Hospital del Niño necesita diésel para seguir funcionando

The Children's Hospital needs diesel to continue working
The pediatric hospital institution also requires an electricity generating plant that serves as a backup to the one that they use without rest

Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 6:36 PM

By Carmen Milagros Díaz
hn.jpg

The Health House in which 34 children with physical and mental disabilities reside, began to ration the diesel in a preventive way to prolong the supply they have until they can get enough supplies. (GFR Media)
Despite the forecasts made to face the hurricane, the Children's Hospital of Puerto Rico needs diesel to maintain its required functioning as a pediatric hospital, and an electricity generating plant that serves as a backup to the one they use without rest.

The Health House in which 34 children with physical and mental disabilities reside, began to ration the diesel in a preventive way to prolong the supply they have until they can get enough supplies.

Some of the children are bedridden and others have conditions such as cerebral palsy, heart disease, autism, and retardation. In addition, the Children's Hospital is home to patients with critical conditions.

"It's something we always need. We are governed as a hospital and we have to be with the plant all the time on and yes, we are trying to ration it (the diesel) according to the indications of the medical team and the engineer that gives us service in the institution, " said the public relations, Yadirka Rosa.

As for the generator of electricity, the hospital needs to be portable of 200 kilos.
"What we want is to have a generator in case the emergency arises. We are preventing if we have to change one for the other, " he said.

On the condition of the children once the hurricane happened, the public relationist said that they are well, like the building that houses them. Damage occurred outside, both on the gates and the sign and trees that fell.

The hospital institution calls on volunteers to help clean and rebuild some areas, especially the park where children play.

"Right now, by the heat we try to keep the patients in the recreation area. The trees fell almost all and there is an area where children can shelter from the sun. There are many debris to collect, "he said.

Rosa highlighted the work of young people from the community who arrived without asking to cut trees that fell to the ground and clear the entrance and parking. In addition, a group of volunteers have brought gasoline to the cars of the people working at the hospital to avoid long lines and to help provide relief personnel.

Although food supplies are sufficient for the next two weeks, the executive noted that "there are always needs that we will use all the time."

He mentioned: baby food and desserts, UHT milk, bottled water, oil, rice, juice, pasta, bread, soda crackers, assorted cookies and canned food such as sausage, jamonilla, corned beef, and salsa.

In terms of hygiene, he commented that bath towels, wet towels and diapers sizes 3, 4, 5 and 6 are always used.

The hospital serves more than 3,000 children around the island. Early intervention services are offered through the Department of Health as well as outpatient speech therapy, physical therapy, occupational and psychological services through the Department of Education.

Those interested in helping can be reached at 787-783-2226 and Rosa's cell phone at 787-525-2866. You can also write to the inbox of your Facebook page under Children's Hospital of Puerto Rico. The building located in the neighborhood Monacillo highway 19 Km 0.6 in San Juan bordering Guaynabo

It's hard to compete with free solar "fuel". Best to just try arm waving and distraction.
Not to mention that in PR now, you can't expect regular deliveries of diesel... Unlike the sun which comes up every morning.

Reactions: MP3Mike and EinSV
It's a standby generator that runs only when power is out. So the cost of diesel for a few days/hours a year is not a big deal. Maintenance may be some work. But I think, labor is cheaper in Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico's power wasn't that bad. Still better than many other places in the planet.

PR's power may not have been that bad, but it was certainly $.30/kWh or more even for a commercial buyer. Now they have a fully sustainable, zero emmission 24/7 setup that prices out to less than half that.

This whole thing may just be a joint PR effort of Ricardo and Tesla. but didn't really change the number of people left without power. Also explains, why the hospital head is not so excited to pay for it; expects this as a permanent donation.
Of course they had a backup generator, it's a hospital on an island that likely has blackouts weekly. Running a backup generator in perpetuity is not a viable sustainable solution to the problem, solar plus redundant powerwalls is.

He is probably more annoyed at the loss of all those parking spaces. ;)

Problem solved. (fly Eagles fly)

lff-gameday_16x9.jpg

PR's power may not have been that bad, but it was certainly $.30/kWh or more even for a commercial buyer. Now they have a fully sustainable, zero emmission 24/7 setup that prices out to less than half that.

Of course they had a backup generator, it's a hospital on an island that likely has blackouts weekly. Running a backup generator in perpetuity is not a viable sustainable solution to the problem, solar plus redundant powerwalls is.

Problem solved. (fly Eagles fly)

lff-gameday_16x9.jpg

The electricity price in PR is high, but not > $0.30/kwh. It's ~$0.20/kwh. I am all for solar, especially utility scale solar. Just not convinced about expensive batteries in the middle. It's more mining and processing, takes much needed battery cells away from EVs & PHEVs, and are a straight 10% round trip loss.
The data below was updated Oct 19, 2017. We Californians pay pretty close to those prices too.
California average residential price was 19.02c/kwh.
EIA - Electricity Data
********** Residential Commercial Industrial Transportation All Sectors
California 19.02 18.88 17.73 17.01 14.39 14.07 9.65 9.55 17.60 17.15

Puerto Rico Profile
PR_electrcity.JPG

But the tweet from Tesla and news articles make it sound like Tesla restored power at a place of critical need that had no power. Reality is a little different.
Yes, the panels should be mounted as solar canopies, as you show. Just more cost and time. With the panels lying on the parking lots, it seems Tesla was in a hurry to tweet something. Who knows? May be Tesla will take it back if the deal for free donation doesn't materialize. The photo-op and Ricardo' video are both done.;) The hospital only requested a temp backup to the backup generator anyway.

Last edited:
The electricity price in PR is high, but not > $0.30/kwh. It's ~$0.20/kwh. I am all for solar, especially utility scale solar. Just not convinced about expensive batteries in the middle. It's more mining and processing, takes much needed battery cells away from EVs & PHEVs, and are a straight 10% round trip loss.

My apologies, I just looked up the commercial prices and it's 22 cents at retail for PR. I've been mostly looking at the USVI which is a good 10 cents higher and assumed PR was similar.

Anywho.....if a hospital(or anyone really) can support all their 24/7/365 energy needs sustainably for far less money, why wouldn't they? Tesla would be more than happy to do PPA-style micogrids for 12 cents if they had the land. Certainly they could interconnect rooftop commercial solar and inland utility scale solar with storage in the most population dense areas and it would be far cheaper than the status quo.

Beside all the forced apples-to-oranges comparisons, lets think about their tax-base and ability to pay back all this debt. If you're printing energy rather than allowing fossil interests to leech the entire cost of energy each year, a massive chunk of that expense stays on the island. Local banks finance the tech. Domestic workers install, maintain and perhaps even manufacture the infrastructure. Then of course.....all the fuel is free.

Reactions: MP3Mike
But the tweet from Tesla and news articles make it sound like Tesla restored power at a place of critical need that had no power. Reality is a little different.
The hospital did have an emergency generator which met some of their needs but was having trouble fueling it.
"A children's hospital in Puerto Rico that was forced to run off generators and ration diesel fuel in the wake of Hurricane Maria now has a solar power system that will supply all of its electricity needs."

• Informative
Reactions: abasile and mmd
It was hard for me to imagine a hospital in Puerto Rico (with unstable grid and frequent storms/outages) without a backup power generator.

Would you like to check on the 25 listed here that don't have power to see why they aren't using a generator? Or do we just assume it means all 25 of those are on generator only right now?

http:--status.pr/Lists/List/Hospitals
Hospitales Asistidos por Dept. Salud Local/Federal

As I count it thats 25 without and 40 with for a total of 65 hospitals. 38% of those are listed as not having power.

I've got to assume that children's hospital needed the powerwall/Solar PV or Tesla would have started on one of the 25 left that still don't have power.

I sure hope Tesla is working on one or two of those as I type. Surely they aren't picking hospitals at random.

Last edited:
Would you like to check on the 25 listed here that don't have power to see why they aren't using a generator? Or do we just assume it means all 25 of those are on generator only right now?

http:--status.pr/Lists/List/Hospitals
Hospitales Asistidos por Dept. Salud Local/Federal

As I count it thats 25 without and 40 with for a total of 65 hospitals. 38% of those are listed as not having power.

I've got to assume that children's hospital needed the powerwall/Solar PV or Tesla would have started on one of the 25 left that still don't have power.

I sure hope Tesla is working on one or two of those as I type. Surely they aren't picking hospitals at random.

Good link, but I don't have time to check on all. I picked one Ryder Memorial hospital without the light bulb sign; thought will be easier to find on facebook. It's a bigger hospital and was hit big time. As I thought,the light bulb on your link indicates that it is connected to grid power. No light bulb means it is running on back up/generator power. Some may still need more diesel/gens.
Ryder Memorial Hospital
So, this Ryder hospital has 2 generators too, but is operating onyl one (why??) and limiting some non-essential operations to ration power.
ryder.JPG

You will need to check on the rest following this method; I can't spare more time for these :)
Only if there is another headline storm saying "Tesla rescued so and so hospital, turning power back on.." will I check on it.;) But I think, all of them have back up power arrangements, just not connected to grid.

With a bankrupt PREPA, the power lines were so neglected that a cat 2 storm would have taken it down. If there is any hospital in PR without backup power/generators, its administrators should be prosecuted right away for such negligence. But I doubt there is a hospital like that. As my translated post above says, the hospitals in PR are regulated as such and are required to have 24/7 power.

Picture of Ryder memorial:
ryder_mermorial_pic.JPG

So, in short, you guessed right. The other 25 are on generators.

For your other question: No, Tesla didn't just pick one hospital randomly to donate (albeit temporarily may be) ~$1M of goodies. ;) It picked the children's hospital as that has the maximum PR effect when tweeted out or sent to instagram fans, or when >100 articles with "Tesla restores power to children's hospital" shows up in every news feed. There is a big difference in the impression it creates.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I'm still confused as to the point. This hospital was on backup power that was not sufficient or intended for 24/7 electricity. Now they have a solar+battery system that should run the joint for decades with minimal maintenance and no fuel.

The cost of this project is far less than it would be to simply return to grid power or build out and fuel proper redundant generation capacity. Yes, it's good PR and was picked primarily for this reason. What's the problem?

I'm still confused as to the point. This hospital was on backup power that was not sufficient or intended for 24/7 electricity. Now they have a solar+battery system that should run the joint for decades with minimal maintenance and no fuel.

The cost of this project is far less than it would be to simply return to grid power or build out and fuel proper redundant generation capacity. Yes, it's good PR and was picked primarily for this reason. What's the problem?

The goal is for the location to survive not only the short term event but to also be able to handle 3 or more grid outages a year (they tend to see multiple tropical storms and/or hurricanes per season). The powerpacks are more reliable than the generators and the grid combined for a certain load, and more reliable than either generator alone or grid alone for overall use. The solar PV reduces cost of power and provides a 3rd type of electricity to power the building. It's all about resiliency.

Maybe at the same time in the long run it also reduces cost. But that requires financing. Someone has to foot the upfront cost. How that is structured financially decides who gets the advantage of the cheaper power (Tesla, a finance company, or the end customer could each get some or none of the savings by way of cost up front, finance charges, or savings vs grid/generator costs).