Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster on SpeedTV's "My Ride Rules!" - Wednesday nights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I like about the show is that you managed to get some really sharp soundbites into your moments on camera. I guess the production team may have coached you, but you clearly have your Tesla pitch down!

I have given mine maybe 20 times but it still isn't as honed... Anyone got a great elevator pitch for the curious bystanders?

I have given mine maybe 20 times but it still isn't as honed... Anyone got a great elevator pitch for the curious bystanders?
I tell people "This car is amazing and it is 100% electric, no gas at all. It goes 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and takes off like a rocket. Only has one gear so no turbo lag or shifting at all. It also goes over 200 miles on a charge."

Don't forget "Every gallon of gasoline takes 7 kilowatt hours just to refine. If you don't refine that gallon and put only that electricity in my Tesla, I can drive for 28 miles on a gallon of gasoline that was never made, that never got burned, that never produced 19 pounds of carbon dioxide or polluted our country. And nobody had to die for."

Last edited:
You have to be careful with that one because it's not quite true. Grid purchased electricity works out to less than 1kWh per gallon, co generation from by products and other energy inputs may push it closer to 7kWh's, but if the oil were never pumped and refined it's not as if you'd have 7kWh's of extra grid energy available. People sort of got over optimistic with those numbers.

I have no doubt that if you collect up all of the energy necessary to deliver oil from the ground into refined gasoline delivered to an ICE vehicle's gas tank, it will easily exceed the energy necessary to deliver enough energy to a Tesla, from the original source, with enough left over to drive the same distance an average car could go on said gallon of gasoline. The inherent efficiency of electrical power has this distinct advantage.

One more thing for an elevator pitch. You can never make a (gasoline) ICE go on energy from solar panels or wind generators (or other alternative sources of electricity), but those are ultimately the future of our energy, because we will simply run out of oil.

Last edited:
I guess the production team may have coached you, but you clearly have your Tesla pitch down!
Them coach me? I had to lead them along by the leash to give them those pearls! After going to, on average, one car show each month for the last 3 years, I can do it in my sleep!
That being said, don't you know that everybody in LA has acting coursing through their veins?
Anyone got a great elevator pitch for the curious bystanders?
The curious bystander wants quick and easy facts...
"Faster than a Ferrari, Greener than a Prius" hooks them in!
0-60 in 3.7 seconds, ALL electric (you'd be surprised at how often I have to follow that up with uses NO gas) & 250 miles on a charge rounds it out.

Now their hooked and watch their eyes search for questions to ask you.
How long does it take to charge? Is usually the 1st question.
How long does it take to charge your cell phone is my 1st answer to help imprint a paradigm shift in their thinking.
Then I take them into all the scenarios like swappable batteries (Better Place | The Global Provider of EV Networks and Services.), CHAdeMO quick chargers that might get it done in 1/2 hour (CHAdeMO Association) and then finish with the HPC 3.5 hour charge.

Bing... the elevator doors just opened (or the Red Light just turned Green)!
Tesla... Power to the People!

Excellent responses. Thanks chaps.
I am going to put these sound bites in the small print at the bottom of the stickers I am preparing for the rear spoiler and rear window (copying your Ferrari/Prius sticker Dr Taras but as sun visors are illegal in Spain I have to switch to the rear!).
Dopping the "its all alectric" phrase at the lights to the guy beside me just before flooring the go pedal is sooo cool.

More of that Euro-Nanny-State stuff, eh? ;-)

They know what's good for us!

Hey, I have prepared some mock-ups of the stickers for the Roadster based on your original sun-visor... I'd appreciate some opinions.

rear view with sticker 1.jpg
rear view with sticker 2.jpg

I also have thought about a semi-transparent sticker for the rear window... while it has been vetoed by the wife (and is therefore off limits) I'd be interested in hearing your ideas...
rear window with sticker.jpg

I like the placement on the rear fin. While the rear window sticker is easier to see, the visibility is already so limited I'm not sure how I'd like it. I've never had one of those on a car though so they may be really easy to see through. Looks good.

Hey, I have prepared some mock-ups of the stickers for the Roadster based on your original sun-visor... I'd appreciate some opinions

I also have thought about a semi-transparent sticker for the rear window... while it has been vetoed by the wife (and is therefore off limits) I'd be interested in hearing your ideas...
The one on the rear wing will garner way less attention though they both are great!
My first "attempt" for my front windshield was a semi-sticky sticker that was removable and used just for car shows. My wife who is clearly more modest and conservative with these things would be appropriately appalled I thought. When she saw how professionally it looked she said I could make it permanent so had sticker city make me a new one.

Guessing the see throughback window will get even more visibility to others than mine as long as it does not impede your. I sublimity. If you ever did need to remove the sticker the one on the spoiler would cause paint damage whereas the ones on windows won't. My $0.02

attachment.php?attachmentid=4011&d=1327960681.jpg
back view d2.jpg

My soultion is perfectly subtle. When people walk around the car they are looking at/for clues to what it is.

The two questions I get when I walk up are "Who makes it? (Telsa?)" and "It's really electric?"

The word does not "glow" when the brakes are pressed. More the opposite since the lights are blinding.

The sticker is letter-cut so it does not cut light output from lit-up bulbs at all. I measured it with a light meter.