Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster Sport Model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is only the new Red exterior color available for the Sport model.
So you get no choice in color if you buy the Sport model?
That may limit the appeal. Not everyone will want Red.
Related to limited color choice: I think I read that Ferrari offers two colors every year - Ferrari red + one other rotating color... Yellow one year, Silver another, White another, etc.
The new design of the interior console, and moving everything to the center with push button gear shifting, looks MUCH better to me.
Yes, I agree. So good I wonder if it will become standard on all 2009s, or just for the Sport?

I had a 2008 VIN number assigned to me, but with the sport model, everyone who has a 2008 model VIN will be delayed until June 2009.

I would likely have taken delivery of my 2009 (#869) in September or October.
My new 2008 VIN was due for delivery in April or so.

But with the new scenario of the Sport model on a 2008 VIN, then those get put at the very beginning of the 2009 model year deliveries which are likely in June 2009.
Keep in mind that Tesla is already selling remaining 2008 slots at $125K. I wouldn't be so quick to trade your 2008MY spot (assuming you got in at the $100K price point).

Last edited:
Keep in mind that Tesla is already selling remaining 2008 slots at $125K. I wouldn't be so quick to trade your 2008MY spot (assuming you got in at the $100K price point).

I did the upgrade from 2009 to a 2008 spot.
My original VIN was #869, which is #269 in the 2009 model year.

So in my new situation, my delivery would be delayed to June 2009, which is still about 3 or 4 months better than my original VIN at #869 (estimated September or October)

This is not confirmed, because I don't think even Tesla has all of the answers yet. They got slammed with phone calls today and tons of questions.

This is only my speculation. This might help Tesla do the transition to shipping via boat and dropping the air freight. The concern was when they switched to only boats shipments of gliders, then the people in Menlo Park would have a gap of 6 weeks with little to do.

If a bunch of 2008 gliders select the Sport options, then those gliders can be pulled out and sent slow via the Panama Canal. They won't be needed in Menlo Park until June. Then Tesla could make that period of time the transition period.

Ok, in that case it makes more sense for you if you're interested, given that you're already willing to pay a premium to move up to a 2008MY spot. Getting the Roadster Sport isn't that much more.

Curious what the details are for the rest of the 2009 reservation holders. Does taking the Sport option automatically push you up in line? How does that affect the VIN of 2009 owners that don't. Is this option available to the European Signature 250? I guess we'll find out once the fine points are worked out. It's definitely nice to see some interior styling updates.

Last edited:
Thanks James for clarify the delivery questions. Just as I figured. But pricing is still kinda sketchy. The 2008 roadster has had three prices. Approx 92K then 98K then 108K.

Now the 2009 RS Roadster Sport comes out at 128K.

So how does upgrading work for each of the price-pointeded future owners?

Would the lucky early buyers (if they have not all already received their cars) have to pay far more for the RS upgrade making them unlucky or it it a fixed raised amount over the last Roadster book price?

That push button thing looks a bit like slapped on dowagers hump but other than that I generally like the new interior and agree with all of Doug's layout comments. And those seats...are they the new ones that Elon said he wanted to fix?

The "flat" red paint brings back my favorite car of all time.

3200530884_bc71f66a69.jpg

Lancia%20Stratos%20HF%20Prototipo%202.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks James for clarify the delivery questions. Just as I figured. But pricing is still kinda sketchy. The 2008 roadster has had three prices. Approx 92K then 98K then 108K.

Now the 2009 RS Roadster Sport comes out at 128K.

So how does upgrading work for each of the price-pointeded future owners?

Would the lucky early buyers (if they have not all already received their cars) have to pay far more for the RS upgrade making them unlucky or it it a fixed raised amount over the last Roadster book price?

Everything I am saying at this point is speculation. Not confirmed by anyone at Tesla yet. I think that most of the 92K Roadsters have been delivered or they are too far along in the process to be changed. But regardless, I heard that the upgrade is $19,500.

That upgrade price makes sense. $109,000 + $19,500 = $128,500 which is the price listed by the Elon Musk email.

If anyone at the 98k price point selects the Sport option, I am almost positive that their price is $98,000 + $19,500 = $117,500. I cannot be positive, but it sort of makes sense. Otherwise those people, who have been waiting two years, would have to pay $29,500 for the upgrade. I doubt any of them would upgrade AND take another delay.

It gets REALLY complicated for people who HAD a 2009 VIN, upgraded by paying a premium for a 2008 VIN to get the car earlier, but we are now being asked to take a delay to get the Sport option. So what was the point of paying the premium if I have to accept a delay to get the Sport package.

Last edited:
Oh! I thought I would have to come up with the full difference!

I am possibly interested in the Sport, now. I like that interior.

Graham, when did you order, what is your VIN number and what price did you pay? What is your current estimated delivery date.

I am not sure what the upgrade price is for owners at $92,000 and $98,000. I am just guessing that it is $19,500 for everyone.

Obviously they would not put all of these various price points in the press release. They are trying to sell the Tesla Roadster Sport to NEW customers also. So why confuse them with the history? The would just keep the press release simple.

$109,000 for a Roadster Original (Classic ?)
$128,500 for a Roadster Sport

I am #471 - a $98k person. I am guessing my delivery is May-ish.

I am actually not that big a fan of the new exterior. It is fine for others, but I am not that flashy. I wonder if they could do my normal non-CF exposed exterior with my normal color - but give the new interior?

Of course, I still haven't figured out how to finish paying for my ordered Roadster, much less dream of adding on a $20k option - perhaps I should stop dreaming now.

List

Do we have a detailed list of what is included in the upgrade? Is the CF hardtop included?

Do we have a choice in colors? Are there any special colors? Interior options?

I would hope that all buyers would get the same upgrade price as James has speculated. It would not be a good idea for Tesla Motors to punish the buyers who moved early and locked in the lower price and waited so long. To take that savings away now in addition to extending the wait would not be considered fair treatment.

As far as the pricing is concerned the $92k price extends at least through the high 300s if not to the 400s. I locked in several weeks prior to the price increase and started out in the 380s. I know there were quit a few sign ups in those last weeks. As for delivery schedule, my last update from Zak had me at #353 with a deliver date by May.

The ability to upgrade is offered to all buyers who have not taken delivery. This quote from Elons email.
Customers who haven’t taken delivery – even those whose car is already in production -- may upgrade to the Roadster Sport.

I do very much like many of the interior upgrades but my car is intended to be a daily driver and I really don't want the little red sports car thing every day of the week. Also the new price point moves it just so much further into the range that makes it hard for me to consider it a daily driver instead of a pampered fair weather only car.

Do we have a detailed list of what is included in the upgrade? Is the CF hardtop included?

I do not believe the CF hardtop is included. Here is a link to a PDF of the spec sheet:

http://www.teslamotors.com/display_data.php?data_name=Roadster_sport_specsheet

Among its claims, it is listing the "Sport" as a $19,500 option. Which lends credence to James speculation that early buyers would still get their price advantage.

It claims 288 bhp up from 248.

It gives a little more detail on the new suspension:
Custom tuned with adjustable dampers and anti-roll bars tuned to driver’s preference
- 10-clicks of shock adjustment
- Anti-roll bars with 3 positions
- Remote shock fluid reservoir

And badging:
Roadster Sport badges on Power Electronics cover, doorsills, and rear bumper

Last edited:
my car is intended to be a daily driver and I really don't want the little red sports car thing every day of the week. Also the new price point moves it just so much further into the range that makes it hard for me to consider it a daily driver instead of a pampered fair weather only car.

Yes! Exactly my feelings on it too. I do like the new interior though - so if they could give the upgrades to that and the motor with leaving my original exterior I may be interested... if I can figure out how to come up with the additional cost.