Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S 100D Sooooo slow to start up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Snardy

Model S Plaid 2023
Oct 16, 2017
Los Angeles
Not sure what has happened, but I had a 2015 Model S 70 and I would literally get in my car, close the door and drive away. Now I've purchased a brand new 2018 Model S100D and sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds for the car to boot up. Not only is that annoying, but I cannot even lock my door from the touch screen until it boots up. For safety reasons, this is really dangerous (especially being female). Does anyone know why this is happening? I have friends with the same problem and some with no problem at all. I did ask at service and all they said was, "it's a software issue", "use your phone app to lock the door". No joke.

Not sure what has happened, but I had a 2015 Model S 70 and I would literally get in my car, close the door and drive away. Now I've purchased a brand new 2018 Model S100D and sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds for the car to boot up. Not only is that annoying, but I cannot even lock my door from the touch screen until it boots up. For safety reasons, this is really dangerous (especially being female). Does anyone know why this is happening? I have friends with the same problem and some with no problem at all. I did ask at service and all they said was, "it's a software issue", "use your phone app to lock the door". No joke.

Did you make sure the "always connected" thing is checked? so your car isnt trying to sleep between drives and basically is suspended, like a laptop, instead of off

Did you make sure the "always connected" thing is checked? so your car isnt trying to sleep between drives and basically is suspended, like a laptop, instead of off
Hi demundus,
What are you referring to? My wifi is always connected when it's available. And I know I am always connected when I am home. It happens there all the time too. Thanks.

That doesn't exist on the newer cars. Or if it does I can't bloody find it. And I have the same issue; it takes a good while to startup, whereas my old P85D was instantaneous. It's not a real pain, but I liked it better before.

• Informative
Reactions: redy
had the same problem since V9...

Car is always booting up, and im sitting staring at the screen while it says,
"car is starting, please press the brake pedal when this message disappears."

:\

Well if it saves the MCU in the long run, then i am cool for it, as i have read enough horror scenarios of MCU's needing replacement and the time it takes to get a new one.

Well that is weird, mine is a 2017, I'm on V9 software and here is where it is shown for me (see attached pic), it is within the 'Display' menu (which is a silly place TBH).

For safety reasons, this is really dangerous (especially being female).
That I 100% agree with you, female or male having to wait for your car to be ready to use is not acceptable. They should never allow the car to get in to a state like that.
Back in the 60's & 70's you used to warm your car up before you drove it...but that was 50 years ago!

Attachments

• Enegery_Saving.jpg
    Enegery_Saving.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 767
Last edited:
Back in the 60's & 70's there was a little metal thing at the top of the door you could just press down with your finger and the door would lock. LOL
I have attached what my display screen says and it's not the same as yours. (and my camera sucks)

Attachments

• Display.jpg
    Display.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 612
LOL on the door knob comment.
Ok well I have no clue why you don't get that option to activate energy savings, given my car is a 2017 (running software 2018.48.12.1) and yours is a 2018 can we assume the MCU in yours is different?
Either way I'd be making a noise about that because when it was happening to me (the previous owner had it set to energy savings mode) the first thing I did was call the service centre to ask what was going on with the delayed power up and they said to me to just turn that option off as it causes more trouble that it is worth.

LOL on the door knob comment.
Ok well I have no clue why you don't get that option to activate energy savings, given my car is a 2017 and yours is a 2018 can we assume the MCU in yours is different?
Either way I'd be making a noise about that because when it was happening to me (the previous owner had it set to energy savings mode) the first thing I did was call the service centre and they said to me to just turn that option off as it causes more trouble that it is worth.

Her MCU is v2. Tesla's answer to dying MCUs was to limit their "always on" function... some real engineers they have over there :p