Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla S Isn't A Luxury Car"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone has his or her own definition of "luxury" so there's hardly an objective standard. My brother has owned BMWs of all types for most of his life and he was blown away by the Tesla interior. He defined it as "unadorned luxury). Simple lines, no ornamentation of any kind, no puff piece design elements. For his tastes, that was higher luxury that BMW. For those with different tastes, say those who think gold trim represents luxury, the Tesla won't measure up. For me gold trim is totally banal, but that's my taste.

In other words, to each is own as far as luxury is concerned.

Everyone has his or her own definition of "luxury" so there's hardly an objective standard.
Yeah.
My brother has owned BMWs of all types for most of his life and he was blown away by the Tesla interior. He defined it as "unadorned luxury".
Yeah. That's how I think too. The utterly smooth ride of the car *is* luxury, for me. It's the ultimate land boat, more comfortable as a touring car than anything I've ever ridden in -- and it's because there's no engine. The engine in your average ICE car makes the car vibrate, a lot; they don't ride smoothly.

Everyone has his or her own definition of "luxury" so there's hardly an objective standard. My brother has owned BMWs of all types for most of his life and he was blown away by the Tesla interior. He defined it as "unadorned luxury). Simple lines, no ornamentation of any kind, no puff piece design elements. For his tastes, that was higher luxury that BMW. For those with different tastes, say those who think gold trim represents luxury, the Tesla won't measure up. For me gold trim is totally banal, but that's my taste.

I've owned BMW's for years now, and I don't have any problem with comparing them to the Model S.

That said, I first compared the Model S to other large luxury vehicles because that is what it is according to the standards of industry trackers like goodcatbadcar.net and others. That's just a simple fact, while the comparison of relative levels of luxury and options is an opinion.

The rest of this editorial is largely BS. BMW markets themselves as "The Ultimate Driving Machine" not "The Ultimate Luxobarge". Frankly, brands like Rolls Royce and Bently laugh at the luxury pretentions of cars like the 7 Series and S Class. The idea that Tesla also doesn't advertise themselves as a luxury brand is just another case of Tesla positioning themselves as a competitor to BMW and Mercedes.

I've owned BMW's for years now, and I don't have any problem with comparing them to the Model S.

That said, I first compared the Model S to other large luxury vehicles because that is what it is according to the standards of industry trackers like goodcatbadcar.net and others. That's just a simple fact, while the comparison of relative levels of luxury and options is an opinion.

The rest of this editorial is largely BS. BMW markets themselves as "The Ultimate Driving Machine" not "The Ultimate Luxobarge". Frankly, brands like Rolls Royce and Bently laugh at the luxury pretentions of cars like the 7 Series and S Class. The idea that Tesla also doesn't advertise themselves as a luxury brand is just another case of Tesla positioning themselves as a competitor to BMW and Mercedes.

Difference is BMW is constantly in the service shop--really a terrible car IMHO. Almost everyone I know who has one complains about the time they spend in service--no thanks.

Plus if you haven't seen this it speaks volumes--and is soooooo true

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/bmw-drivers-really-are-jerks--studies-find-214456020.html

A luxury brand does not advertise itself as such. It's like saying "hey, I'm cool". No, not if you have to say it.
"Luxury" is an advertising word for "show your neighbors how much you spend, and feel like you're in a comfortable recliner or couch when driving".
"Premium" is an advertising word for "high quality, worthy of your money".

Both words, in part, are a means of telling prospective buyers that "a pure value" calculation will not justify the money on this vehicle.

In that light, I'm curious to see if Tesla uses words like "Luxury" and "Premium" with Gen 3.

Difference is BMW is constantly in the service shop --really a terrible car IMHO. Almost everyone I know who has one complains about the time they spend in service--no thanks.

Plus if you haven't seen this it speaks volumes--and is soooooo true

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/bmw-drivers-really-are-jerks--studies-find-214456020.html

BMW drivers really are jerks, studies find

Ummm.... yeeeeeaaahh.... I suppose they are.... :redface:

Ummm.... yeeeeeaaahh.... I suppose they are.... :redface:

Group hug...no harm intended. :redface:

I must have read your thread on a bad day.

All is good now that P85+ is ordered. :biggrin:

PS - A true story, a few years ago I made the mistake of buying a Range Rover (MISTAKE), and my neighbor had a new 7 series. It became a running joke who's car was in the shop more (one time he was in 3 times in one week--I tied). Needless to say the RR was promptly sold.

Last edited:

Agree with artsci
I revel in the simplicity and unadorned beauty of it. Dont want the center console or the clutter.
The beauty comes from having nothing more than what's needed, and taking great care in how what's needed is crafted. I see no other vehicle (that I've personally seen or been in) to compare it to in that regard