Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Safety features/What happens in a crash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my wife was driving the Model X (AP2) to work last week when another driver lost control, fishtailed, and crashed into the side of our X. Both insurances have now declared that the other driver has 100% fault (in fact the other driver admitted to it). My wife isn't completely positive what exactly she did at the moment of impact, or what measures the car took. I don't believe AP was active at the time, and She says that the crash warnings and alarms were definitely going off, but she thinks the Tesla veered off towards the center divider (though it didn't strike it) to avoid or minimize the impact. I've heard that side collision avoidance is on and enabled, so this sounds completely plausible. She also said that once the car came to a complete stop it put itself in park because she didn't do it, but not 100% absolutely certain. I hadn't heard of that, but it sounds like a reasonable thing to do as well as it had just fired off all the warnings and apparently activated some emergency measures. Anyways, she's wasn't physically injured but was asking me what exactly the car had done in this circumstance. It's difficult to find out exactly what the cars are currently capable of, so I'm hoping you all here might have some more insight.

Just to give a better idea of the crash, it was not too dissimilar to this from her explanation, except the other driver went towards the inside and struck her, also they were in an SUV that was near to rolling.

Sorry if this isn't in the right forum, I'm not entirely sure where it would go. And finally a picture of the car so you can all be sad with me as we wait who knows how many months for this to come back from the body shop :(

JXcc4fE.jpg