TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla service 2019

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by drj3, Oct 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. drj3

drj3 Member

Right now there is not any Tesla service centers anywhere near where I live. That might change when Model 3 deliveries start, but here is what I hope the future Tesla service experience is like.

I set up a service time.
    Tesla sends an autonomously driven loner vehicle to my house.
    Loaner arrives and my car drives itself to the service center.
    Process is reversed when service is complete.

Tesla gets high marks for the service experience now - imagine what it would be like with that kind of service experience. The only time I would have to actually visit the service center is if the advanced autopilot is the system that needs service.

• Like x 1
  2. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

E-mail, text, Skype, or Facetime.

3. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

Doubtful about Model 3 loaners. Cost wise, it simply isn't viable for an alleged $35K car.

The level of autonomy and regulatory approval required for your scenario are at least 10+ years away.

4. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I don't know, they're moving pretty quickly. My bet is on 2020 at the latest.

5. 182RG

Disagree. The "who's liable?" when your car is driving autonomously will provide a significant legal/ethical/liability question that won't be easy to resolve from a regulatory perspective.

6. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

The liability issue doesn't have to necessarily be resolved before they are allowed to hit the road.

"The U.S. guidelines suggest states retain prominence over driver's licenses, car registrations, traffic laws, insurance and legal liabilities."

It's up to states and insurance companies, but this would impede federal regulations.

7. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

The problem is two of the three times I NEEDED service my car would not drive. Not fun when the closest service center is 185 miles away. I really hope they bring back the Ranger program in some form.

• Like x 1
  8. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

If we presume this is talking about the service model post-autonomy being accepted legally etc, how about using the Tesla Network to get your loaner? It won't have to be a dedicated company-owned vehicle, just one that's not in use that also lives in your city?

9. 182RG

2020 Headline:

"Broken" Driverless Tesla Runs Over Children At Bus Stop, On It's Way To Service

10. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I can't wait for 2025 headlines: "Autonomous stroller rolls into street followed by unobservant texting mother. Who is to blame?" :D

• Funny x 1
  11. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I don't know, I've owned several $35k range cars in the past that included free loaner service: my Lexus IS 250, and my husband's Acura TL. I would expect loaner service if I bought a BMW 3-series, and I assume they provide it. It's one of the differentiators for the luxury brands. I do not expect loaner service with my $35k Chevy Volt or if I bought a $35k Ford.

So, the question will be if Tesla wants to continue to position themselves as a "premium" brand (their term) or not. If they do, I would expect similar levels of service as Lexus, Acura, etc.

On just the logistics front, they will have to fix their service center scheduling issues if they don't provide free loaners. Right now you can book your annual maintenance, drop your car off on the appointed day, and they still might not get to it for a few days. That won't be an acceptable practice without loaners (it's barely acceptable WITH loaners). No Model 3 buyer will want to rent a car for their annual service.

12. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

OP, your scenario requires that the customer car that needs service has autonomous driving enabled. I understand that might not be your plan, but not everyone will purchase those options.

• Like x 1
  13. jonnyg

jonnyg Member

Maybe Tesla could temporarily enable this remotely when going to/from the Service Center?

• Like x 1
  14. Red Sage

Sure it is. Your car. You are liable. Sorted.

• Like x 2
  15. Red Sage

Agreed. Since Elon Musk has already stated there will be no need for a lower cost vehicle, thanks to the Autonomous fleet, it is likely that Tesla will remain a 'premium' brand. Those who were hoping for a Tesla Yaris, Tesla Fit, Tesla Polo, Tesla Fiesta, Tesla Sonic, Tesla Rio, or Tesla Accent will remain disappointed, and that makes me personally happy.

The recent suit brought against representatives of the Great State of Michigan is a firm step in the direction of 'fixing' service issues. That State won't allow Tesla to open Service Centers at all. With their restrictive policies gone, there will be no way for any other State to limit Tesla's expansion to take care of their own Customers. They are only able to do so legally in about 24 of 50 States right now. That must change, and will change. I sincerely doubt that many current or future Tesla buyers will prefer to have their Service handled through a third party service center such as Walmart, Sears, or Pep Boys, let alone Midas, AAMCO, or Jiffy-Lube.

16. raysspl

raysspl Member

More than likely will happen