Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now there is not any Tesla service centers anywhere near where I live. That might change when Model 3 deliveries start, but here is what I hope the future Tesla service experience is like.

I set up a service time.
Tesla sends an autonomously driven loner vehicle to my house.
Loaner arrives and my car drives itself to the service center.
Process is reversed when service is complete.

Tesla gets high marks for the service experience now - imagine what it would be like with that kind of service experience. The only time I would have to actually visit the service center is if the advanced autopilot is the system that needs service.

Reactions: Red Sage
Doubtful about Model 3 loaners. Cost wise, it simply isn't viable for an alleged $35K car.

The level of autonomy and regulatory approval required for your scenario are at least 10+ years away.

Disagree. The "who's liable?" when your car is driving autonomously will provide a significant legal/ethical/liability question that won't be easy to resolve from a regulatory perspective.
The liability issue doesn't have to necessarily be resolved before they are allowed to hit the road.

"The U.S. guidelines suggest states retain prominence over driver's licenses, car registrations, traffic laws, insurance and legal liabilities."

It's up to states and insurance companies, but this would impede federal regulations.

Right now there is not any Tesla service centers anywhere near where I live. That might change when Model 3 deliveries start, but here is what I hope the future Tesla service experience is like.

I set up a service time.
Tesla sends an autonomously driven loner vehicle to my house.
Loaner arrives and my car drives itself to the service center.
Process is reversed when service is complete.

Tesla gets high marks for the service experience now - imagine what it would be like with that kind of service experience. The only time I would have to actually visit the service center is if the advanced autopilot is the system that needs service.
The problem is two of the three times I NEEDED service my car would not drive. Not fun when the closest service center is 185 miles away. I really hope they bring back the Ranger program in some form.

Reactions: JeffK
Doubtful about Model 3 loaners. Cost wise, it simply isn't viable for an alleged $35K car.

I don't know, I've owned several $35k range cars in the past that included free loaner service: my Lexus IS 250, and my husband's Acura TL. I would expect loaner service if I bought a BMW 3-series, and I assume they provide it. It's one of the differentiators for the luxury brands. I do not expect loaner service with my $35k Chevy Volt or if I bought a $35k Ford.

So, the question will be if Tesla wants to continue to position themselves as a "premium" brand (their term) or not. If they do, I would expect similar levels of service as Lexus, Acura, etc.

On just the logistics front, they will have to fix their service center scheduling issues if they don't provide free loaners. Right now you can book your annual maintenance, drop your car off on the appointed day, and they still might not get to it for a few days. That won't be an acceptable practice without loaners (it's barely acceptable WITH loaners). No Model 3 buyer will want to rent a car for their annual service.

I don't know, I've owned several $35k range cars in the past that included free loaner service: my Lexus IS 250, and my husband's Acura TL. I would expect loaner service if I bought a BMW 3-series, and I assume they provide it. It's one of the differentiators for the luxury brands. I do not expect loaner service with my $35k Chevy Volt or if I bought a $35k Ford.

So, the question will be if Tesla wants to continue to position themselves as a "premium" brand (their term) or not. If they do, I would expect similar levels of service as Lexus, Acura, etc.
Agreed. Since Elon Musk has already stated there will be no need for a lower cost vehicle, thanks to the Autonomous fleet, it is likely that Tesla will remain a 'premium' brand. Those who were hoping for a Tesla Yaris, Tesla Fit, Tesla Polo, Tesla Fiesta, Tesla Sonic, Tesla Rio, or Tesla Accent will remain disappointed, and that makes me personally happy.

On just the logistics front, they will have to fix their service center scheduling issues if they don't provide free loaners. Right now you can book your annual maintenance, drop your car off on the appointed day, and they still might not get to it for a few days. That won't be an acceptable practice without loaners (it's barely acceptable WITH loaners). No Model 3 buyer will want to rent a car for their annual service.
The recent suit brought against representatives of the Great State of Michigan is a firm step in the direction of 'fixing' service issues. That State won't allow Tesla to open Service Centers at all. With their restrictive policies gone, there will be no way for any other State to limit Tesla's expansion to take care of their own Customers. They are only able to do so legally in about 24 of 50 States right now. That must change, and will change. I sincerely doubt that many current or future Tesla buyers will prefer to have their Service handled through a third party service center such as Walmart, Sears, or Pep Boys, let alone Midas, AAMCO, or Jiffy-Lube.