Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a really good mobile service experience when I was on a beach vacation on the north shore of mass which is closer to a service center than my home. The mobile tech showed early, replaced my passenger seat control cover, and answered some extra questions as well as making some useful suggestions. He was very competent, profesional, and helpful. It was totally convenient and free since it was under warranty repair.

Reactions: FlyinLow
The author of the article did some good research, but completely omitted any mention of the expansion of Tesla's mobile service. I believe the mobile service is at least 90% of what Musk had in mind when he made that tweet. As an owner far away from a service center while I think mobile service is awesome, I would disagree that mobile service makes me feel "covered". Still I look forward to Elon and Tesla updating us with its investment and expansion of mobile service.
I also really appreciate mobile service but when my car died in my garage (and couldn't be unplugged) it needed to be transported 300 miles over the mountains to the service center. Being out of warranty, Tesla roadside got a quote of $1400 (!) for the tow and recommended that I talk to my insurance company. Turns out that the insurance company (State Farm) covered the cost of the tow because it was to the nearest place the car could be serviced, the terms of the towing coverage. I lucked out.

Being so far from a service center is a serious disadvantage since Teslas are far from reliable at present ( I hope that changes with time). You have to really want to drive a Tesla to put up with that sort of inconvenience and expense, or make sure that you never drive a car out of warranty, which is another considerable expense. For people within an hour or two of a service center it is no big deal, but being hundreds of miles from a service center is a major impediment to Tesla ownership. For now.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and mikevbf
I also really appreciate mobile service but when my car died in my garage (and couldn't be unplugged) it needed to be transported 300 miles over the mountains to the service center. Being out of warranty, Tesla roadside got a quote of $1400 (!) for the tow and recommended that I talk to my insurance company. Turns out that the insurance company (State Farm) covered the cost of the tow because it was to the nearest place the car could be serviced, the terms of the towing coverage. I lucked out.

Being so far from a service center is a serious disadvantage since Teslas are far from reliable at present ( I hope that changes with time). You have to really want to drive a Tesla to put up with that sort of inconvenience and expense, or make sure that you never drive a car out of warranty, which is another considerable expense. For people within an hour or two of a service center it is no big deal, but being hundreds of miles from a service center is a major impediment to Tesla ownership. For now.

I am only about 100 miles away, so not in as a challenging location as you, but still difficult (8 hours to do two round trips). I agree with you mobile service does not make people far from a service center "covered" for the exact scenarios such as the one you shared.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and GreenT
It's finally here, the Reno service center! I've been watching this location ever since it was permitted a few months ago, but I wasn't sure if it was still going to happen after Elon's store-closing announcement. Just confirmed with one of the Reno service guys that it's a store and a service center. Soft opening is tomorrow; official opening is Monday. The location is in South Reno near Winco Foods. It faces 580/395 and is quite visible from the freeway.

TeslaRenoStore.JPG

So on reddit there have been two recent posts regarding service centers coming.

One in the Chicago suburbs
New Tesla Facility on Golf Road in Schaumburg, IL : teslamotors

And one in Toledo which could service northern Ohio and lower Michigan
REJOICE NW OHIO & LOWER MICHIGAN!!! New Service Center in Toledo ! : teslamotors

Neither are officially open, with the Chicago one having more proof of opening than Toledo.

But with the Reno post above and posts of workers restarting work at a Kitchener, Canada service center some strong momentum is starting.

If we could only track improvements in spare parts

The Tesla Service Center page has been active interesting notes:

There are now 97 service centers listed, comparing that to Jan when there were 78. It includes the Toledo, Sarasota, Reno, ones mentioned above. The Chicago suburb one isn’t mentioned.

Additionally there were ones in new states (geographic coverage): one in Iowa close to Omaha Nebraska and one in Pearl Mississippi but I can’t find any information on either outside of the Tesla Service center page.

As for the other growth areas it’s hard to tell definitely, it seems California has stayed about the same but Florida and possibly Texas have had noticeable bumps in service centers.

Last edited:
My wife's MX 90D recently was damaged in an accident (other driver's fault; dashcam saved us from having to pay deductible). It was passenger side front end, and total cost around $13K. The body shop warned us that parts could be slow to arrive from Tesla, but we were pleasantly surprised that it only took 2 weeks to get them. Compare this to 4 months for my Model S parts in 2016. I think Tesla is definitely shortening their wait time for parts, which is a good sign for service.

Having said that, my recent service experience was not that stellar. Apparently they don't wash the cars any more, nor do they change the key fobs (gave them both fobs, one was dead - both were returned to me with same batteries in them as before). Also they forgot to perform one of the service requests I had entered on the app. Seems like they've gotten away from the premium ownership experience.

• Informative
Reactions: Inside and SO16
Albany is great news, and confirmed open.

Hearing rumors that Rochester NY is on its way too.

Toledo OH is confirmed open. So is Omaha NE and Jackson MS (Pearl).

So it looks like this is actually happening. Finally.
Rochester is more then a rumor, it is happening. Rochester is a great location and makes service in the central and western NY a lot more convent.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and mikevbf