Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The finger lakes are a lot of small towns, with Ithaca being "ivy league" but perhaps not enough wealth to support a lot of sales/service. eastern-Rochester - maybe since it is equidistance among the Buf/Roch/Syr/Ithaca region.

Local knowledge here: the service center should be in Syracuse, specifically in the northeast quadrant of the Syracuse beltway (which is missing its southwest quadrant).

Look at the highway map. People are used to driving to Syracuse from as far north as Watertown and as far south as Binghamton (as well as from as far west as Buffalo). Basically you can cover the whole state from there.

The problem is in NYS Tesla is only allowed 5 “showrooms” and I believe service centers.
Tesla is allowed unlimited numbers of service centers in NY. The legal limit is on stores, only.

Even so, there's no reason to have more than 4 stores downstate (Long Island, Brooklyn/Queens, Bronx, Westchester, and that's overkill); Tesla's wasting its allocation of 5 stores.

Local knowledge here: the service center should be in Syracuse, specifically in the northeast quadrant of the Syracuse beltway (which is missing its southwest quadrant).

Look at the highway map. People are used to driving to Syracuse from as far north as Watertown and as far south as Binghamton (as well as from as far west as Buffalo). Basically you can cover the whole state from there.
The major population of central and Western NY is Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse. Shouldn’t the Service Center be in the middle, Rochester to make the trip as convient for the majority of Tesla owners.

Someone living in Syracuse or Niagara falls having their "shop" 76 miles away still seems a little problematic if a breakdown would occur. The right answer is one service center per city with 100 or more cars living there. Would depend on how many Model 3 end up in the three cities of upstate NY. Service Centers are a cost-center and right now, I think expense management precludes any new centers.

Someone living in Syracuse or Niagara falls having their "shop" 76 miles away still seems a little problematic if a breakdown would occur. The right answer is one service center per city with 100 or more cars living there. Would depend on how many Model 3 end up in the three cities of upstate NY. Service Centers are a cost-center and right now, I think expense management precludes any new centers.
I’ll take 76 miles as opposed to the current 5 1/2 hours to Mt Kisco in Westchester county. I think we need to take reasonable baby steps and be “happy” with 1 in western NY, hopefully Rochester. I think the current Model 3 population in WNY could support 1 SC.

• Love
Reactions: GSP and neroden
I’ll take 76 miles as opposed to the current 5 1/2 hours to Mt Kisco in Westchester county. I think we need to take reasonable baby steps and be “happy” with 1 in western NY, hopefully Rochester. I think the current Model 3 population in WNY could support 1 SC.

Here's what I want. Similar to Quebec, that we see "Electric Repair shops". Which will utilize repair manuals given out by the manufacturers so that they do not require branded repair shops in only select or affordable places. The problem is the isolated nature of Tesla-owned and specific shops without support of 3rd party locales which can be established through non-owned entities. In Quebec, there are 3rd party shops working on all sorts of electric vehicles from Tesla on down for off-warranty work at a fair price. Only issues are getting parts. Which we know is a problem worldwide right now.

I’ll take 76 miles as opposed to the current 5 1/2 hours to Mt Kisco in Westchester county.
This, basically. Every 5 1/2 hour tow, or *overnight hotel stay*, for a repair which needs a lift is a *huge* cost, and it's worth having a service center in CNY/WNY to avoid that.

The announcement of more resources going to service is good news. We'll see whether the money actually goes where it's needed. We now have Mobile Service based out of Syracuse as of last month. Which is great. But if a lift is needed, yeeowch. They should get at least a one-bay shop in Syracuse and solve the problem.

This, basically. Every 5 1/2 hour tow, or *overnight hotel stay*, for a repair which needs a lift is a *huge* cost, and it's worth having a service center in CNY/WNY to avoid that.

The announcement of more resources going to service is good news. We'll see whether the money actually goes where it's needed. We now have Mobile Service based out of Syracuse as of last month. Which is great. But if a lift is needed, yeeowch. They should get at least a one-bay shop in Syracuse and solve the problem.

Support of third-party certified shops solves that.

Reactions: GSP and neroden
Someone living in Syracuse or Niagara falls having their "shop" 76 miles away still seems a little problematic if a breakdown would occur. The right answer is one service center per city with 100 or more cars living there.
You'd be surprised how many people in Binghamton, Watertown, or Ithaca are *used* to driving to Syracuse for service!

(Maybe they need Syracuse and Buffalo. But Syracuse first.)

My 2018 Model S has been stuck at the only certified body shop in the state of New Mexico where we were visiting in February and slipped into a curb on icy roads. That was 2 months ago and it is still there awaiting parts. Delivery of parts by Tesla is at a snail's pace and is unacceptable. To make matter worse, when a part eventually shows up it is damaged and needs to be sent back and Tesla doesn't feel obliged in the least bit to expedite the shipment of the replacement part, delaying the repair another week at a minimum. How will Tesla be able to operate without the necessary service delivery model. I'm paying top dollar for a car I haven't had in my possession for 2 months now and I don't get a loaner for body work. Ugh!

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and GreenT
How would we know? Unless in our back yard?

That’s what I was going for, local reporting. I believe by the end of Q4 18 they had 78? Last time I counted in February they had added 2 to their service center list on the Tesla website but you have to literally count them on the page. I also believe these did not include the 9 or so body shops that were rumored to open last year. (No confirmation if all 9 did or not, I know some have).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bonaire and mikevbf
Elon Musk said Tesla would fill its North American service gaps in three to six months. Three months later, not a single US service center has opened.

While I don’t like the writer it’s atleast an article on service.

Seems like from the article so far Berkeley is open, Superior Colorado is pretty much done construction wise just no ones moved in, Carlsbad seems like it’s slowly in construction phase, Colombus was just moving to a larger building, from that list that seems to be it.

The author of the article did some good research, but completely omitted any mention of the expansion of Tesla's mobile service. I believe the mobile service is at least 90% of what Musk had in mind when he made that tweet. As an owner far away from a service center while I think mobile service is awesome, I would disagree that mobile service makes me feel "covered". Still I look forward to Elon and Tesla updating us with its investment and expansion of mobile service.