Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service damaged my car months ago and hasn't made it right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that the "leather" is slightly different than on the 2013 models. It is not as rough and is of course "vegan leather". If you look closely you can see the difference in the texture when comparing the lower dash and door panel covers with the new dash top cover. Personally, this difference doesn't bother me too much.

Ah, yes, this is exactly what I saw today. Good to know it looks ok enough on your 2013. This sounds like a valid plan B for me.

I decided that the mismatched dash would drive me crazy every time I got in the car. I really want to get a matching replacment. And the latest word is that it looks like Tesla simply isn't making this part anymore and there are zero in stock anywhere. And the SC has no way of talking to HQ about the issue -- everything has to be done online through their intranet so there's no way to communicate the need to solve this problem with legacy parts. I can't be the only person with this problem.

Anyway, we came up with a pretty good solution: they're going to cannibalize a matching dashboard from an old loaner, and put the mismatched new dashboard into the loaner. Wish I had thought of this one sooner!

I'll post again in a week or so with results.

I decided that the mismatched dash would drive me crazy every time I got in the car. I really want to get a matching replacment. And the latest word is that it looks like Tesla simply isn't making this part anymore and there are zero in stock anywhere. And the SC has no way of talking to HQ about the issue -- everything has to be done online through their intranet so there's no way to communicate the need to solve this problem with legacy parts. I can't be the only person with this problem.

Anyway, we came up with a pretty good solution: they're going to cannibalize a matching dashboard from an old loaner, and put the mismatched new dashboard into the loaner. Wish I had thought of this one sooner!

In the future for "parts" issues. Make sure you hit up @AutobahnEV , who is local to us. When you inevitably go out of warranty. He is a Tesla dismantler, has a zillion parts

The service center has had the car for two weeks now. I'll let the text messages speak for themselves:

Friday: "We will be replacing the dashboard tomorrow and if everything goes well vehicle will be ready Saturday ... call us Monday a couple of hours prior arrival that way we can freshly wash your vehicle..."

Today (Monday): "We are still working on the dash issue. Lee is working diligently on finding a Dash Pad. We will reach out to you once we have more information or by 10am tomorrow."

The service center has had the car for two weeks now. I'll let the text messages speak for themselves:

Friday: "We will be replacing the dashboard tomorrow and if everything goes well vehicle will be ready Saturday ... call us Monday a couple of hours prior arrival that way we can freshly wash your vehicle..."

Today (Monday): "We are still working on the dash issue. Lee is working diligently on finding a Dash Pad. We will reach out to you once we have more information or by 10am tomorrow."

See you at 10am tomorrow :)

I'm pretty upset right now and it's a struggle to keep myself from ranting again on various social media and emailing back to that useless "Tesla executive escalation" address I have.

So yeah, see you tomorrow at 10am. I'll try to hold it together until then.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I'm pretty upset right now and it's a struggle to keep myself from ranting again on various social media and emailing back to that useless "Tesla executive escalation" address I have.

So yeah, see you tomorrow at 10am. I'll try to hold it together until then.

I get it man. Once I ordered a part no larger than my thumb from them (hood damper knuckle) and they didnt have it anywhere in the NATION. took me 3 months to get it and I eventually called them to: "oh its been here for weeks, sorry we forgot to call"

San Diego SVC :(

• Informative
Turns out they did try to put in a new dash on Saturday but cracked it in the same places during the process. We located another "doner loaner" and they swapped it again this morning. I just picked it up. It's pretty good. Not quite perfect, but I'm ok with it and it looks so much better than before.

Unfortunately, on the way home I noticed bubbles appearing on the top of the screen. Something got messed up and now the screen is damaged So now I have to take it back.

Sigh.

bubbles.jpg

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
@SanDiegoJB Sorry to hear about your experience. Hope it gets sorted out.

My car was in for service, during pick up there was a noticeable fresh scrape on the driver side panel/fender where paint was removed. My advisor apologized immediately, contacted the Tesla approved body shop GM, car was picked up yesterday...waiting to be painted. Was informed that since it isn’t an insurance claim, won’t be reported to CarFax as a minor damage.

Just wanted to add my experience instead of creating another thread on this topic.

Cheers

Reactions: MarkKW
After waiting for parts to fix the screen, I got the call that they are ready for me. I dropped my car off this morning. Again. And the irony is they have to take off the dash again in order to fix the screen. I told them I'm pretty nervous and he said that have another donor dash available just in case. I'll post again when I get the car back, hopefully today or tomorrow. At this point I'm hoping for a 90% fix. 100% just isn't going to happen, the panels are too warped from the original bad repair that started it all.

In the meantime I had filled out a blunt and detailed online feedback form from my last service, asking that someone at corporate see it and follow up with me. Nope, those online forms apparently go directly to the service center. My service advisor said he saw it, and I guess it doesn't go higher than that.

That Tesla corporate is so dissociated from what's going on at the service centers is very troubling. It's a systemic problem and it's getting worse. The mobile service idea has merits, but the current implementation is repeatedly causing more problems than it solves. I could go into detail but I just wish someone at Tesla corporate would see my posts and get back to me.

It is too much to ask that Tesla service staff and Tesla corporate managers treat these cars like they were their own vehicles?

• Informative
"JB, your car is ready!"

I went to pick it up today. New screen looks nice. No bubbles! Car was shiny clean.

But no cellular, car can't connect to 3G/LTE, mobile app can't connect. I noticed immediately. The service manager was acutely embarrassed. He said checking cellular is on the QC checklist. I asked if I'm on a hidden camera show, because at this point the mistakes are comical.

So I'm back in another loaner. They said it's a hardware problem and they have to open it up again. This latest loaner happens to have my old, original broken dash installed! I recognized it!

IMG_2356.jpg

Hello darkness my old friend.

There are some fit and finish collateral damage issues with the surrounding panels and screen that he says can be fixed as well.

Unfortunately, on the way home I noticed bubbles appearing on the top of the screen. Something got messed up and now the screen is damaged So now I have to take it back.

So between 7/13 and 8/8 they forgot that they needed to replace the screen while they had the dash out? :confused:

Or did they replace it with another bad screen?

So between 7/13 and 8/8 they forgot that they needed to replace the screen while they had the dash out? :confused:

Or did they replace it with another bad screen?

I suspect they replaced it with a bad screen at least once. The screen that went in today had a bad modem, or the modem was damaged during repair. The screen that had the bubbles on it may have been my original screen, just damaged either by the repair attempts or from baking in the sun for two weeks during a San Diego heat wave when the battery was left too low for overheat protection.

"JB, your car is ready!"

I went to pick it up today. New screen looks nice. No bubbles! Car was shiny clean.

But no cellular, car can't connect to 3G/LTE, mobile app can't connect. I noticed immediately. The service manager was acutely embarrassed. He said checking cellular is on the QC checklist. I asked if I'm on a hidden camera show, because at this point the mistakes are comical.

So I'm back in another loaner. They said it's a hardware problem and they have to open it up again. This latest loaner happens to have my old, original broken dash installed! I recognized it!

View attachment 327703

Hello darkness my old friend.

I bet you a zillion dollars they forgot to move your chip over to the new mcu

Reactions: SanDiegoJB
I've been to the SD center dozens of times. I know all these guys by name. They are awesome.

They are completely and totally underwater from people coming in with absolutely ridiculous and minor issues CONSTANTLY (same with OC from my limited experience).

Their service sucks, but they know it and they hate it as much as you do. Just stay on them, ask for Dave if you can, he's usually able to cut through the bullshit, but PLEASE be polite, they aren't doing it on purpose, they are just swamped and Tesla corporate owns most decisions...

Tesla corporate is incompetent. That's the only conclusion I can come to. We've known that a massive expansion of service centers was needed for *years*; everyone at all the service centers knows it and has known it for years; Tesla corporate just decided not to do what was necessary.

And the SC has no way of talking to HQ about the issue -- everything has to be done online through their intranet so there's no way to communicate the need to solve this problem with legacy parts.

This gets back to the core problem which is killing Tesla Inc. Their internal communications isn't working. I've been saying this for several years, and I just get more evidence every day.

Excellent.

• Love
That Tesla corporate is so dissociated from what's going on at the service centers is very troubling. It's a systemic problem and it's getting worse.
Yes, it's going to kill the company.

The mobile service idea has merits, but the current implementation is repeatedly causing more problems than it solves. I could go into detail but I just wish someone at Tesla corporate would see my posts and get back to me.

It is too much to ask that Tesla service staff and Tesla corporate managers treat these cars like they were their own vehicles?

OMG, this is beyond comical. The level of incompetence. Why don't they (Elon?) just focus on getting Model S, X, 3 right and healthy, and that includes communication with customers, service center staffing, parts availability, and stop the boring company, space x, semi, Model Y, and whatever else they're looking to do.

Reactions: SanDiegoJB