TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla SF crash?

Discussion in 'News' started by SByer, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SByer

SByer '08 #383

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#2 TEG, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
    Reported to be "P6". Given the lack of mfr plates, perhaps "post delivery". Very sad to see that.

3. MDR

MDR Member

According to a podcast phone interview @EVcast, the license plate was knocked off in the accident.

There was an unsubstantiated comment that is was being driven by a Tesla technician. I haven’t seen any other comment to that effect though.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#4 TEG, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
    ...(next comment obviates this one)...

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Actually it sounds like they said that the front plate on the Mercedes was what fell off...

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

As I Posted on Martin's blog. Unrelated to and before the crash photos emerged, I had heard that someone had seen Elon's car taped up.

If the one in the pictures are not his then does that mean that the car has a thirty percent accident rate?

7. Takumi

Takumi Member

#7 Takumi, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
    Another picture at Engadget.

volkovteslawreck3.jpg

Seems like it's the white Toyota's (?) fault as indicated by this picture.

2702141023_a5f1956db8.jpg

Comment by Alex Volkov on Hey!

Hi guys, little bit of an update from the scene - skids are on the road, they may not seen on pictures but they are clearly seen, still, right where it happened (Geary Blvd, eastbound, before intersection with Gough). Only hard to tell which of three cards it belongs to.

From what drivers and police were gathering, Tesla car was about to change lanes, in between white and black cars, but was (a) silent and (b) low profile, so as a result it was not well noticed (if at all). Combine it will sudden Mers’s stop (Friday busy traffic, exiting town) and here is a recipe for what happened.

Crowd mentioned while I was there, that Tesla was also (c) speeding and with that was even more unnoticeable, appeared from behind very suddenly, but it was not confirmed by no one and looked like SFPD wasn’t accepting it as a fact (but skids are there …)

I will have more pictures for you guys soon, it is not a photoshop trick, I took pics from all angles, I am just waiting for a few connections to work out with publishers to see what will be exclusively given to them and what’s not

8. Chris H.

Chris H. Member

I wonder if the CF panels can be re-used? They don't look particularly damaged... If not then I guess the TM stores need to keep a good supply of front and rear body panels on hand...

9. Chris H.

Chris H. Member

BTW, are we SURE that this is car #6? I thought #6 went to one of the Google guys... :confused:

10. donauker

donauker Member

#10 donauker, Jul 29, 2008
    Tesla Crash! | Autopia from Wired.com

11. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

What I find interesting about the pictures is that the Roadster seems to have just went completely underneath the Mercedes and lifted it off the ground. What would have happened if that had been a SUV or lifted PU? There is a LOT of damage there !!!

12. OhmExcited

OhmExcited Member

Two Tesla crashes already out of a handful delivered. This will no doubt do a number on future insurance quotes for the vehicle. Just wait until these silent darts start hitting people.

13. Chris H.

Chris H. Member

Insurance premiums (and quotes) are based on prior claims for a particular make/model, as well as the specific driver's claims history and driving record. At least, that's how it works in Canada... :smile:

I'm guessing (I admit) that no claims will be made in either the case of Martin's car, or in this latest accident, because, if the drivers of the Teslas were found to be at fault (in either crash), it would be cheaper to pay the repair bills of the other vehicles, rather than to file a claim and then pay for the inevitably large increase in insurance premiums for the remainder of the cars useful life. The only case that I can think of where this might not be true is if there is personal injury involved.

Anyway, at this point we don't know who will be found to be "at fault", if any claims will be filed, or if either of these accidents will end up affecting insurance premiums for Tesla Roadster owners/drivers. If no claims are filed then I would expect no affect on insurance rates.

In addition, I seem to remember reading, or hearing, something to the effect that Tesla Motors would be insuring all the Roadsters through some kind of group insurance policy... maybe I just dreamed that...

All the best,

Chris H.

14. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

15. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#15 malcolm, Jul 29, 2008
    Maybe less than you fear:

Stacked Car Crash - Geekologie

In spite of expensive and extensive crash testing by all manufacturers, there seems to be no end of inventive ways drivers can have accidents. Roofs seem to be surprisingly tough, though.

Although details are a bit vague, the same message seems to be emerging:

New drivers need to pretend that the Roadster is an old-style gas car which requires "breaking in" (running-in is the term the UK). Keep The Revs Down. That way you are less likely to surprise other road users. And yourself.

Remember this is still powertrain 1.0! The car will be even swifter with 1.5. Maybe that rev counter will have some value after all.

Or maybe Tesla should send out warning letters - like Mercedes have done with the Black.

[youtube] YouTube - Top Gear Mercedes-Benz CLK 63 Black Series [/youtube]

Huh? Ah yes, embedded videos eat bandwidth.

16. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Do they?

Anyway, maybe Tesla need to offer some training, like BMW did with the M3 CSL.

17. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

It's usually the guy behind at fault

If this accident happened in Australia it's the responsibility of the person behind to leave enough distance from the car in front to stop safely.
    Excuses like "I didn't hear" or "I didn't see" don't normally fly.:frown:
    So it looks like the white Camry driver is at fault unless the Tesla was changing lanes at the time.

18. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

I was thinking more in the lines of the bumper hitting right in the middle of the windshield :(

19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

volkovteslawreck3.jpg

I know this whole incident is not the least bit funny, but I couldn't help but think a caption for that photo could be "Tesla merges with Mercedes"...

20. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Having seen the photos, my speculation would be that the driver pulled into a vanishing gap between the Merc and the Toyota. It was hit on the right front and rear, and that to me indicates it was changing lanes at the time. Is there a right turn just in front of here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.