Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SF crash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I Posted on Martin's blog. Unrelated to and before the crash photos emerged, I had heard that someone had seen Elon's car taped up.

If the one in the pictures are not his then does that mean that the car has a thirty percent accident rate?

Another picture at Engadget.

volkovteslawreck3.jpg

Seems like it's the white Toyota's (?) fault as indicated by this picture.

2702141023_a5f1956db8.jpg

Comment by Alex Volkov on Hey!

Hi guys, little bit of an update from the scene - skids are on the road, they may not seen on pictures but they are clearly seen, still, right where it happened (Geary Blvd, eastbound, before intersection with Gough). Only hard to tell which of three cards it belongs to.

From what drivers and police were gathering, Tesla car was about to change lanes, in between white and black cars, but was (a) silent and (b) low profile, so as a result it was not well noticed (if at all). Combine it will sudden Mers’s stop (Friday busy traffic, exiting town) and here is a recipe for what happened.

Crowd mentioned while I was there, that Tesla was also (c) speeding and with that was even more unnoticeable, appeared from behind very suddenly, but it was not confirmed by no one and looked like SFPD wasn’t accepting it as a fact (but skids are there …)

I will have more pictures for you guys soon, it is not a photoshop trick, I took pics from all angles, I am just waiting for a few connections to work out with publishers to see what will be exclusively given to them and what’s not

Last edited:
Last edited:
Two Tesla crashes already out of a handful delivered. This will no doubt do a number on future insurance quotes for the vehicle. Just wait until these silent darts start hitting people.

Insurance premiums (and quotes) are based on prior claims for a particular make/model, as well as the specific driver's claims history and driving record. At least, that's how it works in Canada... :smile:

I'm guessing (I admit) that no claims will be made in either the case of Martin's car, or in this latest accident, because, if the drivers of the Teslas were found to be at fault (in either crash), it would be cheaper to pay the repair bills of the other vehicles, rather than to file a claim and then pay for the inevitably large increase in insurance premiums for the remainder of the cars useful life. The only case that I can think of where this might not be true is if there is personal injury involved.

Anyway, at this point we don't know who will be found to be "at fault", if any claims will be filed, or if either of these accidents will end up affecting insurance premiums for Tesla Roadster owners/drivers. If no claims are filed then I would expect no affect on insurance rates.

In addition, I seem to remember reading, or hearing, something to the effect that Tesla Motors would be insuring all the Roadsters through some kind of group insurance policy... maybe I just dreamed that...

All the best,

Chris H.

What I find interesting about the pictures is that the Roadster seems to have just went completely underneath the Mercedes and lifted it off the ground. What would have happened if that had been a SUV or lifted PU?

Maybe less than you fear:

Stacked Car Crash - Geekologie

In spite of expensive and extensive crash testing by all manufacturers, there seems to be no end of inventive ways drivers can have accidents. Roofs seem to be surprisingly tough, though.

Although details are a bit vague, the same message seems to be emerging:

New drivers need to pretend that the Roadster is an old-style gas car which requires "breaking in" (running-in is the term the UK). Keep The Revs Down. That way you are less likely to surprise other road users. And yourself.

Remember this is still powertrain 1.0! The car will be even swifter with 1.5. Maybe that rev counter will have some value after all.

Or maybe Tesla should send out warning letters - like Mercedes have done with the Black.

[youtube] YouTube - Top Gear Mercedes-Benz CLK 63 Black Series [/youtube]

Huh? Ah yes, embedded videos eat bandwidth.

Last edited:
It's usually the guy behind at fault

If this accident happened in Australia it's the responsibility of the person behind to leave enough distance from the car in front to stop safely.
Excuses like "I didn't hear" or "I didn't see" don't normally fly.:frown:
So it looks like the white Camry driver is at fault unless the Tesla was changing lanes at the time.

Having seen the photos, my speculation would be that the driver pulled into a vanishing gap between the Merc and the Toyota. It was hit on the right front and rear, and that to me indicates it was changing lanes at the time. Is there a right turn just in front of here?

Status
Not open for further replies.