Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla & shaken... Anyone done this on their own?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 will be hitting the first shaken set this fall/late summer (Were there any deliveries before September?), so I have some questions for those of you with S or Xs. How was your experience having Tesla take care of it? (I heard some stories of unnecessary tire changes etc.)
Has anyone done the "self-shaken"?
My Model 3 isn't due until November, but I wanted to get some feedback on whether I should study up to do it myself, or just leave it to Tesla.
How were your experiences?

Reactions: hiroshiy
@TesQuestJapan , The first Model 3 delivery was I think September 2019 - mine was on September 13th.

I think you can leave it up to Tesla - there will be Shaken fixed cost + mandatory Jibaiseki insurance, plus parts and labor. I also have a Model X, which had shaken in 2020:
Note that Model X had an extended warranty, which is not available to Model 3s.

There are some people who did self-shaken, or user-shaken (so-called in Japan).

Awesome!
Thank you for the links!
Hi TesQuestJapan,
How was your self-shaken experience with your Model 3? I'm taking my Model S in for self-shaken next week and was just wondering if you had any tips or advice regarding self-shaken for Tesla / EV's in general.

I have experience doing self-shaken 4 years ago with my old Honda Fit and have taken my Model S in for a general check-up with Tesla service. They provided me with the Multi-point Vehicle Inspection Form [点検整備記録簿].

Thanks.

Hi TesQuestJapan,
How was your self-shaken experience with your Model 3? I'm taking my Model S in for self-shaken next week and was just wondering if you had any tips or advice regarding self-shaken for Tesla / EV's in general.

I have experience doing self-shaken 4 years ago with my old Honda Fit and have taken my Model S in for a general check-up with Tesla service. They provided me with the Multi-point Vehicle Inspection Form [点検整備記録簿].

Thanks.
I took my Model 3 in for self-shaken last week. The inspection test itself was quite easy and took about 30mins even with 5 lanes with 10-15 car’s each. I did it in Nerima, Tokyo.

The paperwork was a bit annoying as I didn’t know what to do as a first timer but I found if I just spoke in the politest Japanese I could manage, most people were quite helpful and just told me what to do. Also, there was a little shop across the street that is sort of like a for profit support place. They will fill out some of the documents for you if you pay them 1000-2000 yen per document and that’s also where I paid for my mandatory 2 year insurance renewal. Mine was complicated by the fact that I had recently moved and hadn’t updated my address ahead of time. I went on a Monday asked them for all the paperwork I needed to fill out which took about an hour. They gave me examples that were already filled in and booked me a reservation for the next day. I think it might be good to get a reservation but it doesn’t seem to be required. Then I went back with all my paperwork mostly filled out (they corrected my mistakes) the next day and was done in about another hour. The total cost was about 28000 yen spread out across various counters in different buildings for various steps throughout the whole process. It could easily be done in one day in about an hour if you know what to do.

For the actual inspection, they had me go drive my car and get in line. They made me turn on my hazards most of the time as I think this signified that I was a beginner and that I don’t know what I am doing. A guy ran out and basically told me how to do everything and walked along with my car the whole time. They asked me to pull off my areocovers, maybe because they don’t like hubcaps on the test machines in case they fly off or something. They had me pull back a piece of trim inside the drivers upper window area to check the VIN matches.

Then they had me test all of the lights and horn before going into the building with all the actual testing machines.

The first test was another light test and there is an automatic machine checking your headlights and high beams are aligned etc. there is an automated voice on a loudspeaker telling you what to do but since I had the guy - he was barking out what to do. One of the light tests seemingly failed but he didn’t seem to care.

Next, they had me roll forward onto a bunch of rollers and accelerate up to 40km and the apply the brakes. I think I did this twice. Then he wanted me to pull the hand brake at low speed. I was trying to explain that you have to be in Park to make the button on the touchscreen light up. While we were going back and forth about this I hit park on the gear selector even though the rollers were moving and then the system thought I pulled the hand brake. Passed!

After that it seems like there was supposed to be a bunch of emissions or noise related tests but since those don’t apply they had me hop out and get some paperwork stamped by a different guy in a little hut.

After that I went back to the main office, paid for something and got more stamps at various windows. Then I was issued my new sticker for the next 2 years.

Overall, I found it pretty easy and will try it again in a couple years. Obviously it’s much easier to just drop it off at Tesla and they will handle everything for about 150,000 yen (at least that is what I was quoted). But I like the adventure and get a kick out of all the silly hoops that you jump through. Also I had just had my car serviced and new nothing was wrong with the car. But if you have any known problems, best to bring it to Tesla for a pre-shaken inspection which is about 8000 yen.

I took my Model 3 in for self-shaken last week. The inspection test itself was quite easy and took about 30mins even with 5 lanes with 10-15 car’s each. I did it in Nerima, Tokyo.

The paperwork was a bit annoying as I didn’t know what to do as a first timer but I found if I just spoke in the politest Japanese I could manage, most people were quite helpful and just told me what to do. Also, there was a little shop across the street that is sort of like a for profit support place. They will fill out some of the documents for you if you pay them 1000-2000 yen per document and that’s also where I paid for my mandatory 2 year insurance renewal. Mine was complicated by the fact that I had recently moved and hadn’t updated my address ahead of time. I went on a Monday asked them for all the paperwork I needed to fill out which took about an hour. They gave me examples that were already filled in and booked me a reservation for the next day. I think it might be good to get a reservation but it doesn’t seem to be required. Then I went back with all my paperwork mostly filled out (they corrected my mistakes) the next day and was done in about another hour. The total cost was about 28000 yen spread out across various counters in different buildings for various steps throughout the whole process. It could easily be done in one day in about an hour if you know what to do.

For the actual inspection, they had me go drive my car and get in line. They made me turn on my hazards most of the time as I think this signified that I was a beginner and that I don’t know what I am doing. A guy ran out and basically told me how to do everything and walked along with my car the whole time. They asked me to pull off my areocovers, maybe because they don’t like hubcaps on the test machines in case they fly off or something. They had me pull back a piece of trim inside the drivers upper window area to check the VIN matches.

Then they had me test all of the lights and horn before going into the building with all the actual testing machines.

The first test was another light test and there is an automatic machine checking your headlights and high beams are aligned etc. there is an automated voice on a loudspeaker telling you what to do but since I had the guy - he was barking out what to do. One of the light tests seemingly failed but he didn’t seem to care.

Next, they had me roll forward onto a bunch of rollers and accelerate up to 40km and the apply the brakes. I think I did this twice. Then he wanted me to pull the hand brake at low speed. I was trying to explain that you have to be in Park to make the button on the touchscreen light up. While we were going back and forth about this I hit park on the gear selector even though the rollers were moving and then the system thought I pulled the hand brake. Passed!

After that it seems like there was supposed to be a bunch of emissions or noise related tests but since those don’t apply they had me hop out and get some paperwork stamped by a different guy in a little hut.

After that I went back to the main office, paid for something and got more stamps at various windows. Then I was issued my new sticker for the next 2 years.

Overall, I found it pretty easy and will try it again in a couple years. Obviously it’s much easier to just drop it off at Tesla and they will handle everything for about 150,000 yen (at least that is what I was quoted). But I like the adventure and get a kick out of all the silly hoops that you jump through. Also I had just had my car serviced and new nothing was wrong with the car. But if you have any known problems, best to bring it to Tesla for a pre-shaken inspection which is about 8000 yen.
Hi there, I appreciate the really long detailed replay. I actually went ahead and did self shaken on my Model S back in early Feb. My experience was pretty much the same as yours, so I've listed below what was different in my case.

• At my test center, you have to make a reservation which you can do online.
  • The only form I had to fill in was the weight tax form. A lady behind the counter scanned a QR code on my old shaken certificate and the other documentation with my details was printed out automatically. You can technically do this online, print it off at home and bring it in too, which I did, but the lady said the machine reading indicators in the corners of the paper were positioned differently from theirs and so incompatible with their machine. /shrug
  • During the actual examination, I didn't fail any tests, but the inspectors had a really hard time finding the VIN and Motor Identifiers on my Model S. The VIN for my chassis was stenciled onto the frame under the driver's door foot sill plate. But we couldn't find the motor identifiers for the longest time. I actually drove through the test center 2 more times and a small group of inspectors crowded around my car trying to find them. It was getting near to the closing time when I guy came to my car with a snake camera and monitor and was able to find the motor numbers by sticking the snake camera through and behind my wheels. I never actually saw where exactly they were, but they were happy and I was happy to finally pass the test.

My total cost for self shaken was 47310 yen.

Prior to doing the shaken, I asked Tesla Service that I wanted to do self shaken and would like to have my car inspected. I was never quoted 8000 yen for a pre-shaken inspection. Instead, I was quoted 42000 yen for Tesla's annual inspection and an extra 20000 yen for wiper blades, a carbon filter replacement, and brake fluid bleed/flush - replacement. (I saved a little bit of cash replacing the wiper blades myself)
In Sendai, we don't have a Tesla Service Center. So, Tesla Mobile Service appears to pass on some of the garage-required work to 3rd parties locally in Sendai. Mainly Yanase, but the car multipoint inspection check that is needed for shaken was done by a different garage that I took my Model S to for a wheel alignment. So I'm curious if it would have been cheaper to have just brought it to them directly and not Tesla acting as a middleman.
My Model S is 7 years old and I've owned the car for 2 years, so I think the annual inspection was worth doing. I've read that annual inspections aren't really necessary due to the reliability of Tesla vehicles, but I wasn't aware of an 8000 yen pre-shaken inspection option and so felt the annual inspection was the best/only way to get the car inspected and any red flags identified before taking it to the shaken test center.

I'm curious what your 8000 yen pre-shaken inspection involved. I'm guessing it included the multipoint check sheet?

Does anyone in Japan have experience doing shaken with aero kits installed on their Teslas?. I've got this front splitter and rear wing installed, wondering if this would cause any issues with shaken?

Attachments

• wheel decals and front splitter.JPG
    wheel decals and front splitter.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 57
  • cmst type carbon rear wing.JPG
    cmst type carbon rear wing.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 25
  • image_123986672.JPG
    image_123986672.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 32
Does anyone in Japan have experience doing shaken with aero kits installed on their Teslas?. I've got this front splitter and rear wing installed, wondering if this would cause any issues with shaken?
I don’t see why any of it would cause any issues. Shaken check will look at the amount of tread left and any potential damage to the tires. Japan is the land of mods, so the spoiler should be fine as well.