Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla should offer Range Extenders for Rental

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jedi2155

Model 3 has Arrived.
Jul 6, 2018
Upland, CA
This thing is huge, and for the majority the owners, this is only needed once in a blue moon. I think many folks could use the extra range from time to time, but not all the time but for that 1-2% of the year (3-5 days of the year), I think it would be extremely helpful to be able to rent the battery pack.

Say $50-100/day + $100 install/removal.

Totally valid buisness option here.

I wouldn't worry about it much until they actually ship one. This is like the removable Model S packs.

It's not supposed to ship until late 2024 anyway and I don't see why they'd waste the batteries on it. Maybe if they stop selling vehicles they can convince some people to buy these.

It seems like it's going to require a service center visit, and presumably it'll need cooling and other management to prevent conflagration, so this is very much effectively a permanent (though imaginary) addition to the vehicle.

This thing is huge, and for the majority the owners, this is only needed once in a blue moon. I think many folks could use the extra range from time to time, but not all the time but for that 1-2% of the year (3-5 days of the year), I think it would be extremely helpful to be able to rent the battery pack.

Totally valid business option here.
May be, but the main audience of the battery are those who are expecting to haul things, not extend the range of the base vehicle.

I was towing my boat last year down to Florida. (first trip of any distance) My Model Y range got cut to 70 miles! Since Superchargers were every 50 miles, I was able to make the trip (after sweating on the first leg). That will be the case for the range extender.
While there are many who will haul every day, it would be nice to have periodic use.

Tesla moved away from battery swapping years ago. Too many issues.
That wasn't what was tested. The Harris Ranch battery swap station was a test against Supercharging where you'd swap instead of fast charging. That is different from renting an extra battery for a few weeks a couple of times a year while hauling your trailer on vacation.
The big problem I see with the seldom used rental of a larger battery is the peak-to-average problem I mentioned in my previous post.
I think that a dual-use range extender/power wall equivalent might make more sense than a rental approach. One would probably have to winch it into the truck bed and have a good mechanism to secure it in there. If it were thin and narrow enough one might be able to store it on the floor of your garage under the Cybertruck when not in use.
It turned out with the Model S battery swap, very few opted for the 5 minute swap versus a 30 minute Supercharge. Of course, back then, the Supercharge was free while Tesla charged (IIRC) $30 for 2 battery swaps (outbound and on return). The $15/swap was less than the price of gas and still, the vast majority of folks chose Supercharging. That $15/charge was possibly not enough to cover the costs of swapping (same electricity cost plus maintenance of the facility)

Reactions: bpjod

Totally valid buisness option here.
I would love this if only they would create the range extender that fits in the small compartment instead vs taking up space in the bed.

I think the range extension Battery will be a permanent installation if Tesla actually makes it.
With the anticipated weight, it's not going to be something that you can pickup and remove. It will probably require a crane (like an engine block lift) to lift it.
So yea, I'd vote for permanent. But as someone with some trailers, I'd love it to be removable.

Says he who towed a boat to Florida that resulted in a range of only about 75 miles in a Model Y. Great thing that chargers were about every 50 miles.

With the anticipated weight, it's not going to be something that you can pickup and remove. It will probably require a crane (like an engine block lift) to lift it.
So yea, I'd vote for permanent. But as someone with some trailers, I'd love it to be removable.

Says he who towed a boat to Florida that resulted in a range of only about 75 miles in a Model Y. Great thing that chargers were about every 50 miles.
This is unacceptable range, it would be better in a ice vehicle to tow vs EV.

This is unacceptable range, it would be better in a ice vehicle to tow vs EV.
I didn't like it, but I was able to travel from Atlanta to Tampa and back with it.
It's the aerodynamics of the boat that I think is killing me.

I don't have an ICE vehicle, just two Teslas.

So in the end, it was acceptable range, I got there, I got back, and I had a heck of lot of fun while on the boat.

I didn't like it, but I was able to travel from Atlanta to Tampa and back with it.
It's the aerodynamics of the boat that I think is killing me.

I don't have an ICE vehicle, just two Teslas.

So in the end, it was acceptable range, I got there, I got back, and I had a heck of lot of fun while on the boat.
I currently have 2 MYLR for local driving and 2010 Camry v6 with 275k miles and a 20 gallon gas guzzler which my high schooler uses for now. I’m debating if I should get a CT or Model X for my next ride both with be Dual Motor and long range. Saw a video on YouTube a guy charging hi CT from 18% to 90% , took him over and hour plus, that was a buzzkill for me to wait that long at a supercharger (250kw). Normally the use the MYLR for my trips and not hauling anything.

Saw a video on YouTube a guy charging hi CT from 18% to 90% , took him over and hour plus..
Didn't see the video, but there are a lot of variables. Did they set the Supercharger location at least 10+ miles before getting there so it could pre-condition the battery for faster charging? Did they stay in the CT while charging (which consumes some energy and slows charging)? Going that last 80-90% will likely take as long as going from 18% to 50%. Best to avoid that last 20% if you're in a rush.

In the future, there should be V4 Superchargers that can go to 350 kW, which at low SOC, should yield a 40% speed improvement (but not all the way to 100% SOC). I'd hope with V4, perhaps 30-40 minutes would be the expected charge time from 15-80%, just enough time for a quick meal!

I now saw the video! No indication of pre-conditioning, but it starts at max power, so it may not matter.

One other thought - With new cells and pack design, Tesla may be going very conservative at first. As they lean more, they may increase the max charging rate for a longer period.

Didn't see the video, but there are a lot of variables. Did they set the Supercharger location at least 10+ miles before getting there so it could pre-condition the battery for faster charging? Did they stay in the CT while charging (which consumes some energy and slows charging)? Going that last 80-90% will likely take as long as going from 18% to 50%. Best to avoid that last 20% if you're in a rush.

In the future, there should be V4 Superchargers that can go to 350 kW, which at low SOC, should yield a 40% speed improvement (but not all the way to 100% SOC). I'd hope with V4, perhaps 30-40 minutes would be the expected charge time from 15-80%, just enough time for a quick meal!
1704047381620.png

He preconditioned. Unlikely V4 will make much difference as it starts tapering below 250kW at 20%.
Discussion here: First charge curve data I've seen.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer