Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla showing how much more expensive they are compared to a petrol equivalent.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I occasionally browse existing stock, not that I would ever by another Tesla but it does give me a chuckle now and then.

Anyway, I was browsing and stumbled across a model S and was a bit surprised to see that they are being quite honest about the fact it will cost more to charge this than an equivalent petrol car.

Screenshot_2023-03-27_09-17-45.png

It gets even more interesting or depressing if you fiddle with the mileage, petrol economy and local charging cost to better suit personal ciscumstances , as per my example below;

Screenshot_2023-03-27_09-22-26.png

If I had to pay 73p per unit for all my charging I'd not have bought an EV. As nice as my MY is to drive, the determining factor in buying the car was the ability to "fill 'er up" for £7.50 (at the current elevated, hopefully temporarily, rates).

Reactions: GSP
I think the responders to this so far are missing the point being made by @plisken ?

It being that it is very honest of Tesla to have this facility on their website so you can tailor the estimates to your circumstances, and so can make an informed decision.

I do agree that 73p is a bit OTT of course and reflects the higher end of the rapid charging pricing range which you wouldn’t use day to day.

• Informative
Reactions: Exy1
I occasionally browse existing stock, not that I would ever by another Tesla but it does give me a chuckle now and then.

Anyway, I was browsing and stumbled across a model S and was a bit surprised to see that they are being quite honest about the fact it will cost more to charge this than an equivalent petrol car.

View attachment 921782

It gets even more interesting or depressing if you fiddle with the mileage, petrol economy and local charging cost to better suit personal ciscumstances , as per my example below;

View attachment 921783
6000 miles at 1.5 gbp per litre and is 200 pounds a year for petrol? :D

Just take your calculator
For the screenshot with 6000 miles and 45 mpg:
for 6000 miles you will need at least 8 full tanks, 80 ltr each, at 45 mpg (133 gallons / 604 ltr)
that is £906 gbp. not £200 for petrol.

For the screenshot with 10,000 miles and 25 mpg:
for 10000 miles you will need at least 10 full tanks, 80 ltr each, at 20 mpg (400 gallons / 1818 ltr)
that is 2727 GBP, not 700 GBP

there is a clear error in values what tesla display for the petrol usage - they are missing one digit in front..

Last edited:
I think the responders to this so far are missing the point being made by @plisken ?

It being that it is very honest of Tesla to have this facility on their website so you can tailor the estimates to your circumstances, and so can make an informed decision.

I do agree that 73p is a bit OTT of course and reflects the higher end of the rapid charging pricing range which you wouldn’t use day to day.
there is a clear error in petrol/diesel costs - one digit is missing ;)))

that is the thing that everyone in this thread is missing, I see

Last edited:
0.73 is brutal, I charge at 0.25 and is expensive because the company that manage my building did a bad electricity contract. If I could use a spot price contract like I have at home it would go down to 0.05 charging during the night. Then the difference would show up.

Electric rates here are $0.09 / kwh. 1 kwh = ~~3 miles $0.09 / 3 miles = $0.03 / mile.

Gasoline here is ~~ $3.00 / gallon 1 gallon = 30 miles $3.00 / 30 miles = $0.10 / mile

Only considering fuel costs -

If currently a Tesla is $20,000 more than a comparable ICE vehicle, then (at today's prices) $20,000 / $0.07 = 285,714 miles. So in that many miles, fuel savings alone would pay the difference. But that's a long time and a lot more miles than most people put on an ICE vehicle. Further the price of energy will likely change so much by that time, calculations made now will be meaningless then.

On an electric vehicle, other costs could actually be more significant than fuel? No engine, transmission, exhaust system or brake maintenance, will likely outweigh the fuel savings.

The bottom line is really what kind of vehicle will best fit your needs and make you happy, considering your position on the importance of sustainable energy and the best way to achieve it. The economics just aren't that significant.