Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla slams into stationary fire truck. Driver killed. Police say “unclear” if AP/FSD at fault.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unsettling. But, what the heck was going on with thee driver? unless there was a real car malfunction. I only use the Cruise and it has always stopped the car before impact--if cars are pulling in front of me or coming too close, etc. But I am always hands on car and alert... We have the FSD but don't use it.===and now they are going to pull it...

Reactions: 2101Guy
Update: NHTSA Now investigating this crash

This would be at least the 14th time a Tesla has crashed into emergency vehicles with autopilot or FSD engaged, if one were engaged. (moderator edit)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jane4 and MP3Mike
Update: NHTSA Now investigating this crash

This is (at least) the 14th time a Tesla has crashed into emergency vehicles with FSD engaged
You're implying that we know FSD was engaged (or AP, or TACC). We do not.

You're implying that we know FSD was engaged (or AP, or TACC). We do not.
You are correct. That should have read "there have been a minimum of 14 crashes of Tesla's into stationary emergency vehicles with AP/FSD engaged". If this one was same, it would be at least the 15th.

1676913601156.png

Yea, and there has never ever been a non-Tesla or ICE vehicle slam into an emergency vehicle. Weird! It just never happens... you rarely hear about any ICE or non-tesla car wrecks in the news, and that is because it never happens. Right? Only Teslas with FSD do this crash stuff. I wonder when my turn is coming? In just a few hours I have to risk my life to drive my Tesla, while all other drivers are safe in their cars that never, ever crash.

There is an investigation into another Tesla accident over the weekend in NY that resulted in deaths.
Yep. Head on collision.

Yea, and there has never ever been a non-Tesla or ICE vehicle slam into an emergency vehicle. Weird! It just never happens... you rarely hear about any ICE or non-tesla car wrecks in the news, and that is because it never happens. Right? Only Teslas with FSD do this crash stuff. I wonder when my turn is coming? In just a few hours I have to risk my life to drive my Tesla, while all other drivers are safe in their cars that never, ever crash.
A notable difference: the CEO’s of those companies don’t routinely draw unnecessary attention to themselves…making them a target.

Also, having no public relations team to respond and manage your image? Probably wasn’t a wise decision by Elon.

He relies on the media (social and traditional) to shape Teslas image. And so that will cut both ways. He must except the good press with the bad press.

A notable difference: the CEO’s of those companies don’t routinely draw unnecessary attention to themselves…making them a target.

Also, having no public relations team to respond and manage your image? Probably wasn’t a wise decision by Elon.

He relies on the media (social and traditional) to shape Teslas image. And so that will cut both ways. He must except the good press with the bad press.
Journalists, per se, are not responsible ( other than for following instructions) for the trash, invasions of privacy, the making of a circus out of bereavement situations, etc etc that plague " ordinary " people along with the rich and famous. No! it is proprietors who are responsible. When it comes to trying to undermine Tesla's reputation and engender FUD in the minds of an EV innocent population, those proprietors ( media moguls) are paying their dues; they depend on the advertising revenue from the big ICE corps. So, back scratching is required. Of course bias and subversion by the media is not limited in its targets to Elon; the bucks that feed the furness flow from many vested interests.

Of course, Elon is a phenomenon but sometimes a naive one. What? You want perfect as well? 😀 ( Sell Twatter Elon).

Elon did not claw his way up the corporate ladder to become one of those, almost anonymous CEOs , nor by asset stripping or hedge funding, he built something amazing from the ground up, he makes stuff!

Mmm!🤔 I might have drifted a tad of topic here..... so, how is it when, so sadly, fatalities occur in an accident involving a Tesla, the first thought is : " It's the cars fault".

Reactions: finman100 and TofOK
Journalists, per se, are not responsible ( other than for following instructions) for the trash, invasions of privacy, the making of a circus out of bereavement situations, etc etc that plague " ordinary " people along with the rich and famous. No! it is proprietors who are responsible. When it comes to trying to undermine Tesla's reputation and engender FUD in the minds of an EV innocent population, those proprietors ( media moguls) are paying their dues; they depend on the advertising revenue from the big ICE corps. So, back scratching is required. Of course bias and subversion by the media is not limited in its targets to Elon; the bucks that feed the furness flow from many vested interests.

Of course, Elon is a phenomenon but sometimes a naive one. What? You want perfect as well? 😀 ( Sell Twatter Elon).

Elon did not claw his way up the corporate ladder to become one of those, almost anonymous CEOs , nor by asset stripping or hedge funding, he built something amazing from the ground up, he makes stuff!

Mmm!🤔 I might have drifted a tad of topic here..... so, how is it when, so sadly, fatalities occur in an accident involving a Tesla, the first thought is : " It's the cars fault".
how is it when, so sadly, fatalities occur in an accident involving a Tesla, the first thought is : " It's the cars fault".

Because a huge section of the population truly believe that Teslas are "those cars that drive themselves". Maybe not you and me, but definitely Joe Average and Jane Media Reporter think that. It's just a meme now, like every Viking wore a helmet with horns.

Thank goodness the responders parked that unit for protection. Notice how many people in all vehicles are unsafely passing stopped vehicles, despite move or slow laws. Coupled with those who stop and appear to be afraid of pulling off the pavement, freeways are simply a risk for all who are inattentive.

Well, I agree with you. But I am. perplexed as to why this I happening. I only use the Cruise Control and have ok driving experiences--in the sense of my Tesla M3 stopping to avoid collisions: mainly someone pulling in front of me to get to the highway entrance that I drive past on my way home from shopping. It has also halted/slowed when someone has moved into my lane. But I keep my hands on the wheel at all times...

Well, I agree with you. But I am. perplexed as to why this I happening. I only use the Cruise Control and have ok driving experiences--in the sense of my Tesla M3 stopping to avoid collisions: mainly someone pulling in front of me to get to the highway entrance that I drive past on my way home from shopping. It has also halted/slowed when someone has moved into my lane. But I keep my hands on the wheel at all times...
I'm guessing some people put too much faith in the AP/FSD and decide not to pay attention. A red fire truck laid across all lanes in daylight? And this is in a long, straight section of highway. The driver wasn't looking. I'm sorry this person died. But this software is L2 and requires the driver to watch the road. The driver is responsible.

I'm guessing some people put too much faith in the AP/FSD and decide not to pay attention. A red fire truck laid across all lanes in daylight? And this is in a long, straight section of highway. The driver wasn't looking. I'm sorry this person died. But this software is L2 and requires the driver to watch the road. The driver is responsible.
I agree that the driver is responsible. Like pilots are ultimately responsible when their plane crashes not due to mechanical issue or flying the 737max. Doesn’t mean both things shouldn’t be investigated and improvements been made.

The 1000 times it worked isn’t the issue, it’s the one time it doesn’t…

Reactions: COS Blue