Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software 2019.16.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just getting up to speed on this ELDA "issue". Mine was updated today (16.3), but I noticed under the ELDA toggle that you can set it to "warn" or "assist."
The three position slider is LDA, which is a separate thing from ELDA. It appears that LDA only works in conjunction with AP, it will only kick in just after AP is disengaged. ELDA is always there.

Only if it remains shite. :p

....and even then, no, that's not the way that humans work.

I will likely leave it off, but even now there's people here that wouldn't turn it off now.

I think you missed my point. The rest of my post said that I believed that ELDA had problems and that I felt it should either be fixed or removed completely. That was a response to the suggestion that it just be updated to allow us to turn it off permanently.

If it is dangerous under driving conditions that are not uncommon (which it is), then it should be impossible to turn it on in the first place. It should definitely not be on by default.

If Tesla's response to this is that people should just enable it when it makes sense and disable it when it doesn't, then they need to make it much easier to turn it on and off while driving, and make it much more obvious when it is turned on.

Tesla put a lot of effort into developing this feature, and they clearly intend for it to be used under normal circumstances. In order for that to happen, it needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
I have had 0 issues with ELDA. 0.
But I totally support the assertion that this should be a one shot toggle.
Tesla don't normally do this - makes me wonder if there is another reason as to why they are trying to make it so annoying to disable.

The cynic in me thinks Tesla is deliberately rolling this out as close as possible to standard AP. It would be gimmicky marketing for them to be able to say "Since we made AP standard, our autonomous systems have avoided X accidents!" with a not insubstantial number of those evades coming from the always-on ELDA.

That being said, I've also had absolutely 0 problems with LDA or ELDA. It really must be context-specific. Seeing some people say that tall grass on the side of the road triggered ELDA, but I passed some hedges that were hanging out into the roadway without issue...

Reactions: SammichLover
Just re-read your link there @SammichLover , are you in the habit of doing half-press signals? I always do a full press, so I wonder if that could be part of the problem. Massive oversight on Tesla's part if E/LDA doesn't take the 3-blink signal into account.
No, I'm not in the habit of doing half-presses. That was me spitballing about "what could have happened here, what are the possible things I might have done". I do occasionally miss-press the signal arm and get only a three-flash (the signal arm design is probably my #1 pet-peeve about the Model 3's physical controls).

Also, to tie into this:

[POLL] ELDA users, what is your experience? (Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance)

ELDA is part of AP. If you don't have AP you don't have ELDA. I drove all over the road today, crossing solid lines and double lines and received no warning or my car trying to take control as others have said it would do.

Those here saying that Tesla rolled this out because they care so much about safety are deluding themselves. They rolled this out to make AP more attractive to sell it to people like me that don't have it and to make new cars look safer to potential customers. It's about money not safety.
Every Model 3 has Autopilot (since inception). Some of us did not pay for Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) and Full Self Driving (FSD). Autopilot is for the basic safety tech, like collision avoidance, etc. EAP is for some-level of autonomous driving, etc.

LDA and ELDA are on all Model 3.

Didn’t they emphasize in the release announcement it (LDA/ELDA) was going to everyone regardless of whether they bought AP?

I did not pay for EAP or FSD and I have LDA/ELDA, etc.

Is this true? The Warn function has always worked regardless of AP. Does Assist not lane keep when AP is off?
I'm having trouble finding the linked YouTube right now, but it appears from someone trying it out a lot (on 2019.8.5) that LDA only works just after AP has been used and then disengaged.

ELDA is something different.

Every Model 3 has Autopilot (since inception). Some of us did not pay for Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) and Full Self Driving (FSD). Autopilot is for the basic safety tech, like collision avoidance, etc. EAP is for some-level of autonomous driving, etc.

LDA and ELDA are on all Model 3.

I did not pay for EAP or FSD and I have LDA/ELDA, etc.

This is incorrect. Autopilot, as of sometime in March IIRC, is TACC and active lane holding. It is a reduced set of what EAP was, with those features being removed going over to FSB. At first it wasn't included in all Model 3s but now it is being bundled with everything except the $35K variant.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
This is incorrect. Autopilot, as of sometime in March IIRC, is TACC and active lane holding. It is a reduced set of what EAP was, with those features being removed going over to FSB. At first it wasn't included in all Model 3s but now it is being bundled with everything except the $35K variant.

So there is confusion bc of terms thrown around. Autopilot when the car was launched was just the name of the basic safety functions. EAP was the name of the fancy stuff. Yes, in 2019 EAP is gone, and now AP and FSD encompass some of the old EAP features.

Here is what the OM said as of December 2018:

Autopilot (Free, standard on all M3 since inception of the car)
  1. Cameras, Ultrasonics, Radar
  2. Lane Assist (vibrates the wheel)
  3. Collision Avoidance Assist (Forward Collision & Automatic Emergency Braking)
  4. Speed Assist (visual speed limit)

Enhanced Autopilot (Paid option)
  1. Traffic-Aware Cruise Control
  2. Autosteer
  3. Auto Lane Change
  4. Autopark
Full Self Driving (Paid option - No one really knows)

I said every M3 has Autopilot. In 2018, they all had Autopilot, in 2019 under the new packaging they all have Autopilot. The content included under the name has changed, but the name was always standard equipment.

Except for every car sold between when EAP was phased out (March 2?) and when AP became standard (April 11). We're all in a weird limbo where we had the option to buy "Autopilot," and some of us didn't, myself included.