Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software 2019.16.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ELDA is part of AP. If you don't have AP you don't have ELDA. I drove all over the road today, crossing solid lines and double lines and received no warning or my car trying to take control as others have said it would do.

Those here saying that Tesla rolled this out because they care so much about safety are deluding themselves. They rolled this out to make AP more attractive to sell it to people like me that don't have it and to make new cars look safer to potential customers. It's about money not safety.

Just want to point out that this is completely incorrect. Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance are part of this update regardless of whether you have Autopilot or not. I don't have Autopilot, and I now have both of these features after updating to 2019.16.3.

Just installed 2019.16.3 on my model 3 tonight. I got my car in April so thinking it’s hardware 3.0. It was weird because when I got the car I didn’t have the option to do mad max or to have auto lane change without warning in my custom settings. Tesla said wait for an update so I’m guessing this update is for hardware 3.0 people. Also looks like only 354 installs so far. Am I reading that right? Why so low?

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
Just getting up to speed on this ELDA "issue". Mine was updated today (16.3), but I noticed under the ELDA toggle that you can set it to "warn" or "assist."

I understand that if you want it disabledz youbhave to toggle it before each drive (lame), but can you permanently set it to just "warn" instead of "assist"...or do you have to do so before each drive? Also, is the warn like a chime or an even louder emergency tone...dont want to be unnecessarily freaked out.

I feel like, yes, I might not remember each time to disable...but I'm more worried about my wife driving with our son.

(Seems like I shouldn't even have to think something like that...but here we are.)

Hi. HW3 + FSD M3 and just got on 16.3 this evening (car was at SC for the past week). I looked back at a picture I snapped of the AP menu on 12.1.2 (SW I took delivery with on 5/10) and the 'Lane Departure Warning' was an on / off toggle. Now it's called 'Lane Departure Avoidance' and it's an Off / Warning / Assist setting. So, it could be very easy for Tesla to do the same for 'ELDA' and it could also be how they 'beta' test things (start with on off only then move to variable use setting)? Yes, I know that 'LDW' was not something that reset itself after every time you put the car in Park like 'ELDA'. Just saying it seems like it could be an easy fix and compromise for users. Seems like they auto set it though for this particular use case and they just want to get specific data for a set period of time from it's 'beta' users.

Also, I do believe you get both of these features regardless if you have AP or not. BTW... I thought AP was now standard option on all Tesla's and the FSD was the upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It's called Phased Roll-out. If there's an issue with the Firmware it won't effect the whole fleet.

The first update that bricks every single car or sends cars crashing into other ones is the day the company is done.

I actually had a build that sent me into lane changes at maximum G under AP.

I called it the ‘Falcon Rocket” firmware package that was loaded on my X.

That was not a wide release build and rolled back in 24 hours.

People need to be patient and it’s the internet that creates the culture of NOW. My neighbor got .37483837A - where’s mine??

Last edited:
I'm guessing nobody uses their turn signal. Had to dodge a tree branch in my lane, used a turn signal so everyone behind me knew I was moving over half a lane. No warnings, no auto-swerve.

My initial thought when I read about the new ELDA feature was that it sounds like a way to enforce use of the turn signaler for lane changes. This won't affect me too much since I always signal my lane changes, but it does seem like overreach, IMO. I don't have the update yet though (I'm still on 2019.12.1.2), so I don't know yet what my experience with it will be.

Starting to get annoyed on Tesla's silence on the subject, as well as sites like Electrec and Teslarati. Let's retweet Niels Keurentjes on Twitter and hope for a response and/or the fanboy media to pick it up.

My experience is that we never get info on updates. Similar to when a Tesla has an accident then always says "No comment." It's probably because any acknowledgement gets spun out of context or proportion and they decided to be quiet on updates or issues there. Trolls are looking very hard for any sign of weakness. But I was told on a factory tour that both Tesla.com and TMC are monitored regularly (likely Reddit too).

Reactions: Cely

It may be a great feature for lots of people (I think it will be good for me) but it still needs to be a permanent toggle switch.

The problem with making it a permanent toggle switch is that everyone will turn it off and leave it off. Nobody goes fiddling around with the toggle switches on the touch screen to enable a feature in mid-drive, unless they happen to be stopped at a long red light, and that's not a reasonable expectation for a feature that you might want to turn on and off several times on the same trip. That's why the autopilot features are activated with the right stalk, and deactivated with the steering wheel and brake pedal.

What Tesla needs to do is either fix the feature so that it is safe to use under all circumstances, or get rid of it.

That said, I'll grant you that making it possible to permanently disable ELDA while we wait for them to fix it would be better than the current situation. I just don't think it's the right long-term fix.

Last edited:
Overnight I received 2019.16.3.1 (Australia), which appears to be the same as 2019.16.3; same Release Notes and no discernible differences.

Big improvements in autopilot functionality compared to 2019.12.x and .16.2. I noticed a lot of regressions in those builds, even one of my kids was asking what had happened to autopilot - driving like a drunken robot.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
ELDA is part of AP. If you don't have AP you don't have ELDA. I drove all over the road today, crossing solid lines and double lines and received no warning or my car trying to take control as others have said it would do.

Those here saying that Tesla rolled this out because they care so much about safety are deluding themselves. They rolled this out to make AP more attractive to sell it to people like me that don't have it and to make new cars look safer to potential customers. It's about money not safety.

Uncle Don, what software version are you on? If you're on a version lower than 2019.16.2 then you don't have ELDA yet, which would be why it isn't preventing you from wandering outside of lane lines.

It's called Phased Roll-out. If there's an issue with the Firmware it won't effect the whole fleet.

Folks. I have been here for a long long time.

I don't think you are reading my previous posts.

I am immensely aware of things such as phased roll-outs etc.

Thanks for responding to my questions, but you aren't answering them.

My question is:

After Tesla themselves have tested the software.
THEN
After beta testing by moths of early access folks is finished and accepted
THEN
After phased rollouts to over 20000+ cars proved the software true
THEN

Why isn't there just a dump to everyone?

Please only respond if you really know. There is enough speculation. There are people who still don't have 2019.15.....etc.

Please don't speculate. I'm looking for the real answer.

Folks. I have been here for a long long time.

I don't think you are reading my previous posts.

I am immensely aware of things such as phased roll-outs etc.

Thanks for responding to my questions, but you aren't answering them.

My question is:

After Tesla themselves have tested the software.
THEN
After beta testing by moths of early access folks is finished and accepted
THEN
After phased rollouts to over 20000+ cars proved the software true
THEN

Why isn't there just a dump to everyone?

Please only respond if you really know. There is enough speculation. There are people who still don't have 2019.15.....etc.

Please don't speculate. I'm looking for the real answer.

One real answer: not everyone knows to connect to WiFi, or has access to WiFi. I'd guess a good 10-15% of Tesla owners don't get updates for this reason.

• Helpful
Reactions: A2be
Note that I was able to get an update at work via LTE. Even thou the signal wasn’t the best inside a parking structure (2 bars) it still downloaded and installed. Ver 2019.8.6

Fred

This is true. Some updates are flagged as priority and will still be pushed over LTE.

Still allows a significant number of people to miss out on 2019.16.X, and still leaves out a further ~15% unexplained non-updates from @Garlan Garner original question. I've got some more theories, but he asked for no speculation :p