Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar/ IL/ Rebates and quote new thread request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Schroeder0202

2019 Stealth/White/Black/20 inch Tsportline
May 8, 2019
IL
So I got my Tesla proposal today. Looks very attractive.
Now I live in IL and apparently they have instant rebates avail called the adjustable block program which
takes $ right off the top not financed based on the amount your system will produce.
Bringing the cost to $1.74 per kwh including installation.
After the Federal tax rebate bringing it down to .94 per kwh.

I am waiting for a new quote and design. I did not like the panel placement on some portions.
Also when I put down my initial deposit on tesla.com I only put in for a 12kw system and no powerwall.
When the inspector came out I told him I wanted a price w and without a powerwall but that was not relayed even
though he took pics of placement for it etc. Other interesting this is the contract shows entire completion 60-120 days from signing which seems very good.
We also have net metering here in IL so from what I have been told I do not need a powerwall, however we get lots of power outages and need some sort of battery back up. Ive gotten prices on a whole house generator and they are 8+ thousand so all around this seems like a great deal.

Any thoughts or opinions?

upload_2019-5-10_7-49-34.png

• Informative
Reactions: JFChenger
I wouldn't believe any sort of time table Tesla provides. My estimate would be at least 6 months. That's the actual time frame every person I personally know that has ever had a system installed has experienced, including myself (not through Tesla mind you)

I am in the same situation as you. I have net metering here in NJ but the power isn't dependable and it seems like an oxymoron to install a giant noisy gas generator for this purpose. I put my deposit down for two powerwalls months ago, still waiting for Tesla to actually start the project to install them. My #1 advice is you REALLY have to be patient with them.

The incentives/rebates you're getting are fantastic. You'd be crazy not to get at least the solar.

Last edited:
I’m in the same process as you as well in Chicago. Tesla is scheduled to come out next Tuesday. The “adjustable block” program they are referring to may be the IL SREC program which was funded last summer, so it has brought in a lot of national and regional solar installers recently into Illinois. ComEd website has a section devoted to its descriptions.

I’ve had three bids so far for a 4KW system (urban house, small roof). All have come in around $3.4-3.7/Watt (excluding any incentives). Tesla’s pricing is VERY attractive as you can imagine. I’m actually surprised they kept their online pricing configurator’s $2.65/watt pricing for you after site visit. I had fully expected that online price being a bait price to get one started with them and they’d ramp it up after the on-site visit. With that being said, I have very low expectations of Tesla’s customer serving ability however after reading every Tesla and solar forum I can find online.

FWIW, all vendors so far are quoting 60-90 day from contract signing to turning-on based on their last 12months installation experiences in Chicago land area. ComED and City of Chicago seem to be friendly enough to solar to not be too much of a hinderance according to them.

Appreciate the detailed quote shared, I will share mine once I get it as well.

Last edited:
@JFChenger Yes, tesla online pricing seems to be very accurate and true. My friend also who lives in naperville just got his quote back and his was also dead on $2.65 per kw/h. He also requested powerwall quote and was dead on accurate. They state there is additional for install fees etc which amounted to $3000 labor and $1000 in hardware needed for 2 powerwalls per his quote. He has a whole different issue w rebates since they buy power from the city and comed fighting to block rebates etc but thats a different story.

• Informative
Expect them to make the powerwalls into a separate project. They're still ironing out the planning for this with ComEd at the moment... What paperwork needs to be filled out, inspections that need to be done, etc. ComEd is surprisingly efficient with moving solar installations along and it looks like they just got all of the policies & procedures in place for battery storage solutions. Add that to the fact that powerwalls are backordered, the chance of getting one installed at the same time as your solar panels is pretty slim.

Also, be aware that ComEd will limit the size of your system to a portion of your average consumption. They won't let you connect a system that produces way more than you actually use. If you use enough electricity to justify a 12 kW system, you should seriously consider at least 2 powerwalls, probably 3.

With one powerwall, Tesla will configure it to back up essential loads only. With 2 or more, you'll have the option to run the whole house.

One last thing... Do your research on the credits. When I got mine, it was basically 30% off. Once they put it in writing on the final paperwork you're good. But until then... Don't be surprised if the IL rebate ends up being a little lower. The federal tax credit is another thing to look at more closely. Unless something changed, that's too high. You can't double dip... You get 30% off the amount that remains AFTER the IL rebate. Do your research and assuming the SREC is correct, don't be surprised if the federal tax credit ends up being closer to $6,300.

• Helpful
Money is clearly a factor, them powerwalls aint cheap. If I end up getting anything its going to be one for essential loads.
My power usually comes back on after a couple hours. Ill upload my new quote for info purposes once I get it.
Tesla configured the SREC credit so when I get my loan and sign on that dotted line its a done deal. If credits are wrong thats on them.

You get 30% off the amount that remains AFTER the IL rebate. Do your research and assuming the SREC is correct, don't be surprised if the federal tax credit ends up being closer to $6,300.
Tesla configured the SREC credit so when I get my loan and sign on that dotted line its a done deal. If credits are wrong thats on them.
This is an interesting point. Tesla isn't on the hook for any state/federal incentive unless they are saying they'll credit you upfront what their SREC estimation $ amount is, and then either send you another check later (if the State of IL ended up rebating them more than what they credit you) or pocket the difference themselves? I'm not sure.

One of my vendors said the SREC credit is a moving target as the state does the final calculation, so the amount isn't known 100% until you get the actual check. He gave an example of their quoting a customer $35xx(?) and the customer called months later and told them he got a check for $39xx from the state. You get this check within the first year of the installation. The federal credit is done at next year's tax return time, so I assume when you do your tax then, the #s will be calculated based on what @JD01 said, (Out of pocket COST - SREC) * 30%.

Well it looks like Tesla is taking off the SREC as an immediate credit off installation/financed amount.
When I apply for my loan as shown above it will be for $21355.00. I would not assume that amount is variable
as the lender has to pay out the amount approved for and/or leave tesla on the hook for the shortage if so....
All questions for my advisor who has yet to call me.

Just so it's clear, the SRECs are based off your estimated annual solar production, which is affected by both system size and panel placement. Once you have the final paperwork, it's guaranteed because they already have run your actual system design through PVWatts and know what the average output will be. Until they've done your sight survey, any quote is just an educated guess.

ComED and City of Chicago seem to be friendly enough to solar to not be too much of a hinderance according to them.

Agreed. ComEd issued my PTO the same day that Tesla submitted my certificate of completion. Tesla didn't believe it and gave me the run-around. The interconnect team eventually told me to ignore them and turn it on. They told me Tesla was just so used to resistance from electric companies that they couldn't grasp the idea that one would actually be supportive of solar generation.

• Funny
One of my vendors said the SREC credit is a moving target as the state does the final calculation, so the amount isn't known 100% until you get the actual check. He gave an example of their quoting a customer $35xx(?) and the customer called months later and told them he got a check for $39xx from the state. You get this check within the first year of the installation. The federal credit is done at next year's tax return time, so I assume when you do your tax then, the #s will be calculated based on what @JD01 said, (Out of pocket COST - SREC) * 30%.

@JFChenger Don't believe this vendor. The credit comes off the purchase price and tnd state doesn't mail you anything. As long as you use a licensed installer, your purchase price should be the amount of the system less any SRECs. The SRECs are well defined and easily calculated once you know the expected generation for the system over 10 years. As far as I know, the renewable energy credits are paid out by the power company, not the state.

So I just called Tesla to clarify about the rebate taken off the top and they said that it is wrong.
APPARENTLY the large block discount for IL is full and no money left. I guess the large block rebates are for systems over 10kw.
Said I needed to add back in the $11200 in rebates. OR if I want rebates they now need to redo my system for under 10kw inverter in order to qualify. Clearly whoever made the first contract doesnt know what they are doing or this person who I just talked to is also confused.
To clarify I have comed as a supplier.

So far this is going nowhere.
Seems like Tesla solar is just like Tesla motorcars. Great products=Terrible execution/follow thru

Got my 10kw system layout and materials list however they still have not updated my quote from my orig 12kw system so I get the rebates.
Figured Id update as materials quoted. For some reason not using panasonic panels however w this quote they are using solar edge power optimizers which were not on my 12kw system quote. Anyone know if these panels compare??
upload_2019-5-11_18-4-52.png

One of my bids (very well regarded per their online reviews) included the same Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G5/SC but 300-320 as opposed to 310-320 in your sheet there. I guess yours is one generation later, and the most current one on Q.Cell website is 315-330 (Q.PEAK DUO-G5 : RESIDENTIAL : SOLAR PANELS : PRODUCTS : Q CELLS). My quote was at $3.4/watt before incentives. So if all things being equal, Tesla's price is extremely aggressive and attractive at $2.65/watt. I'd probably take a chance with it for the large price difference knowing I'll probably have to deal with expected process headaches.

I've been asking every bidder for me to use Solar Edge optimizer as it seems to be the "standard", and it also helps me doing an apple to apple comparison between the bids.

Hope the rebate works out for you, keep us updated.

Schroeder0202, I was quoted the same panels and solaredge for a 4.41kw system. Was your original quote with the Delta inverters without optimizers?

So since you could go from 12kw to 10kw, I guess they have wiggle room around the standardized blocks of 4kw. I wonder why the quote system won't allow finer increment then and how that saves on cost if they are still allowing the resizing and redesign after the initial quote. Also, 4k turned into 4.41kw in the initial quote. This is also kind of sneaky of them since the price is higher than the initial quote page due to that. If they are advertising standard block sizes of 4k then it should be 13 * 310/315 instead of 14 * 315 for each block to be closer to the advertised size.

Honeslty I dont know what inverters were being used in orig quote, i cant access it anymore.
I do know that the panels have changed though from original quote and orig quote did not have optimizers on it.
My guess on your system is they are getting as close to requested as possible if there are no penalties for going over.
For me I need to stay under 10kw for IL rebates block system, anything over 10 does not have $ avail from the state incentive program.
Im guessing I could just add to the system after the initial install so I can cover my usage requirement based on my utility bill which needs the 12kw system.

My current plan is just under 10kw (9.765)
upload_2019-5-12_11-3-13.png

• Informative