Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar/ IL/ Rebates and quote new thread request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you ballpark the $/watt before rebates?

Before rebates $2.87, after (SREC is a little different for everyone) $0.72. There are actually potential ways to save a little more by playing some games with the SREC fees, PM me for details. Also those are cash / self financing prices. Most independent installers partner with a bank which then changes a hidden 10%-15% fee (not the interest rate). So if you finance through a solar company add that on top. Tesla doesn't care if you finance with them, someone else, or pay cash same price. So if financing with the solar company is absolutely critical for you then a company like Tesla might be good.

With that all said I would absolutely figure out how to get your own financing or pay cash. I got the absolute best system on the market for less than anyone else after rebates! Also Teddy and all the guys from Windsoleil are easy to deal with and answer questions pretty quickly. With the big guys, especially Tesla, it would take up to 3 days to get a response.

• Informative
Reactions: JFChenger
I've got a quote from a smaller company out here in Crystal Lake which is $2.89 with Solar Edge and Solaria 350W modules. I've seen their installs and they are very clean looking.Black on Black modules 100% required for me.

Sunrun came out here and left quickly once they knew that I wouldn't do PPA or lease.

My biggest concern about these smaller solar companies is the 'What happens when SREC goes away'. I'm not sure how they will survive in IL because the way these ROI makes sense is only because of the SREC + 30% Fed. That is one of my biggest reasons of wanting to use Telsa, but they don't have my zip code open, even though the town 1 mile from my house is open.

Financing is not an issue for me so I'm all set.

I looked at @Nayyer's install and I get concerned that those aren't black on black panels and no side skirts.

I do have a question on the SREC.... when that check gets cut, is that taxable income or is it considered a rebate?

I've got a quote from a smaller company out here in Crystal Lake which is $2.89 with Solar Edge and Solaria 350W modules. I've seen their installs and they are very clean looking.Black on Black modules 100% required for me.

Sunrun came out here and left quickly once they knew that I wouldn't do PPA or lease.

My biggest concern about these smaller solar companies is the 'What happens when SREC goes away'. I'm not sure how they will survive in IL because the way these ROI makes sense is only because of the SREC + 30% Fed. That is one of my biggest reasons of wanting to use Telsa, but they don't have my zip code open, even though the town 1 mile from my house is open.

I looked at @Nayyer's install and I get concerned that those aren't black on black panels and no side skirts.

I do have a question on the SREC.... when that check gets cut, is that taxable income or is it considered a rebate?

They are not black on black, because LG doesn't make the Neon R that way. Windsoleil let's you pick the panels you want, so go with the Solaria if you prefer.

The LG panels are guaranteed 25 years parts and labor with performance. So even if Windsoleil went away LG would still foot the bill. Lots of warranties don't cover this. Also realistically panels very very rarely go bad, same with the optimizers. The inverter maybe but that still has a 12-25 warranty. Nice to deal with only one company (installer) but I am ok calling the manufacturer if I have to.

As for are the SREC taxable the answer is likely, but I am no tax expert
Are My Illinois SRECs Taxable? » Certasun
IRS addresses tax treatment of REC purchases from homeowners - Lexology

Pictures of install, thick black duct (if you see it) is not related to the panels.

Attachments

• IMG_20190906_173307.jpg
    IMG_20190906_173307.jpg
    653.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20190906_173130.jpg
    IMG_20190906_173130.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 80

Harry any company out there should be able to provide you with what you want. Black on black conduits in the attic. These are preferences that anyone can fulfill.

mad for the price Jackle is correct for cash price Teddys price was the best.

Congrats! Can I ask what system you went with?
@Nayyer I went with Panasonic. They gave me LG 335s as an option as well (Panasonic are 330 rated). After deciphering both spec sheets deeper, I stuck with Panasonic for better efficiency, albeit the difference is so minute, I'm sure either would've been fine. LG also seems a bit larger in dimensions, and my city house has very limited rooftop. Only had room for 12 panels at the end despite wanting more.

Last edited:
Harry any company out there should be able to provide you with what you want. Black on black conduits in the attic. These are preferences that anyone can fulfill.

mad for the price Jackle is correct for cash price Teddys price was the best.
Attaching my comed usage view. Does it mean my Net Metering has started or do I need to manually call them?

It looks like it started. I would call them just to confirm.

I got a quote from Tesla a few weeks ago for solar that came back at $2.86/watt. I told tesla that I had quotes considerably cheaper but I would go with them if they lowered the price a bit. They would not. I went with a local provider for $2.20/watt that uses the same equipment, minus the Tesla mounting. While it looks nice, I am glad to avoid the tesla mounting system, and the potential support issues that a proprietary system brings to the end user.

Thank you for the update. So your total system size is about 11.1kW... do you mind sharing your cost/watt that Windfree quoted for you?

Your production looks very solid and I'm surprised how well the West modules are doing for you.
It was just under $3/watt before SREC and the rebate. Not sure if the tariffs affect LG panels or not at this point but at the time that I ordered, they did not.

IL no longer has a Srec program. Its now called the adjustable block program and you must qualify to get the rebates.
Your inverter cannot be over 10kw or you get 0$. The larger blocks are full. If you were to use Tesla for your panels they take the money right off the top of the system, other companies leave you to struggle on how to get the money back from the state. Good luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: JFChenger