Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kept it moving all the way in to a much cheaper Tesla 🤣 paid a little over 120k for it in 2022 and Tesla now says (without looking at it) that it’s worth less than 50k at last check. I am extremely happy with my new Model 3 RWD, although I am pretty sure the neighbors wonder if we are turning into a dealership with 2 Model 3s and a Model S and only two ppl haha. 🤣
Have you thought about Turo for the S?

Have you thought about Turo for the S?
I thought about it, then decided against it because I don’t have the patience for it. 🤣 I figure I will just have to take the hit this time. 14k miles on the car currently so I figure I paid roughly 4-5 dollars a mile on this S. Tesla gave me more on trade than I paid for my BMW brand new. That didn’t work out this time at all. I won’t pay that much for another Tesla that is for sure. As they say on X I feel like I’ve been “Musked” hahaha jk

Dude said $275 per kW selling back to the grid. During peak. Wow.
1719332727811.png

Reactions: DrewHou

Dude said $275 per kW selling back to the grid. During peak. Wow.
View attachment 1059598
Sweet deal but it's crazy that it's setup to screw us in the end. Lots of people think the rules will stay the same but as soon as "too much" distributed solar is installed they change the rules.

Australians To Be Charged to Export

And I get it, PUC's are a business and they need to make money. But it's about time we fully embraced distributed solar power and aimed for that result, we need to stop protecting old interests but they're very entrenched. Imagine all the grid battery backup that could be bought with $18 billion instead of paying for standby CCGT plants!

For us here in Texas, they've killed any incentive to oversize a system to sell back power due to low buyback rates.

Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
So I just checked my Meter. The serial number is different. They didn’t even turn the power off to my home. It must be a quick connect. Pop on pop off. Setup. To not turn the power off.

Well I just checked and yes they turned the grid off. I didn’t get an alert from Tesla. I ran on PW for 5 minutes while they Changed it.

1719344367804.png

Okay guys, I have decided it’s time to add a second wall connector in my garage and the quote I got was stupid. So I am thinking about doing it myself since it seems pretty straightforward to daisy chain off my gen 3 connector. However….

I want to make sure I get the right wiring. The existing connector is hooked to a 60A plug for the full 11.5 experience. I watched the install video and daisy chain is simple enough but seems to be some debate on the forums on what wire to run. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Looks like some say go 6 gauge others say 8 gauge… I was looking at the link below at Home Depot.

What’s the advice or should I stop and just overpay to be safe? 🤣

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

Okay guys, I have decided it’s time to add a second wall connector in my garage and the quote I got was stupid. So I am thinking about doing it myself since it seems pretty straightforward to daisy chain off my gen 3 connector. However….

I want to make sure I get the right wiring. The existing connector is hooked to a 60A plug for the full 11.5 experience. I watched the install video and daisy chain is simple enough but seems to be some debate on the forums on what wire to run. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Looks like some say go 6 gauge others say 8 gauge… I was looking at the link below at Home Depot.

What’s the advice or should I stop and just overpay to be safe? 🤣

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

A 60A plug is exceedingly rare in the US and would be a NEMA 14-60. Are you sure you don't have it directly wired? Maybe you meant 60A circuit?

The 2023 NEC revision of 625.40 does allow for multiple circuits on an EVSE branch if the manufacturer's current limit process is followed and wiring is sized correctly etc. With that said, it is a much cleaner installation if you use a small sub-panel to create individual branches to each Wall Connector. Each branch would have its own 60A breaker, but you would still put sharing in place so that the two together wouldn't draw more than 48A continuous. Alternatively you will need to use a multi-tap for all 3 conductors plus you will need a pull box to fit them.

If using THHN like you linked, you can use the 75degC column for capacity (because your breaker will be 75). This will give you 50A rating on 8awg which will be ok for your 60A installation. Keep in mind that this type of wire must be run in conduit, even in the wall. The reason you are seeing some people advocate for 6awg is because if you don't want to run conduit, you have to use non-metallic sheathed wire (like Romex) in the wall, and NM cable must use the 60degC column. This means you have to use 6awg to get the right ampacity for >48A.

A 60A plug is exceedingly rare in the US and would be a NEMA 14-60. Are you sure you don't have it directly wired? Maybe you meant 60A circuit?
Yeah I meant to say circuit not plug. The current wall connector is connected via a trenched conduit and the conduit is full now that Tesla ran all my solar/pw through it too. So I have no capacity to run any new wires from the breaker box to the garage plus my Span panel is full. My thought is run conduit along the garage wall from the first connector to the second connector. Then using Tesla group power management feature to ensure it never tries to draw more power than is safe.

Which is what Electrify America quoted me on for 2 grand even with me already having the connector. Which is why I’m like hmm seems simple enough to just knock out as a weekend project.

Reactions: GWord
Thanks for the advice earlier @GWord! I ended up just going and grabbing what I needed and knocking it out. Works perfectly and I have no idea why but installing a second charger made my CoS show back up again on all my cars. 🤣 View attachment 1060166
Ohhhh I like the graffic changing to a two car garage. Now I feel the need to install two wall connectors instead of still using the Mobile Connectors lol

I would love to know if there is a limit. If you have 6 chargers does the house become a hotel? Super cool though. I searched around and couldn’t find any images of people with more than two WCs in the app.
Probably, last time they sent a replacement and after I installed the new one, I have two and I have to ask them to remove the old and defective
one.