Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The installers will choose the shortest path. At least that’s what they told me. The hey will ask you about a couple of different routes to run the Conduit. I chose to use less conduit. So they changed my panel layout a little. They do a pretty good job of hiding it. Painting it would also be the best choice.

I believe they tap in between your Meter. Before it gets to your breaker panel for whole home. I opened a terminal pull box. That is located out side. To see what was in it. It had ground and 2 /110’s. I thought they would tap in at the main breaker panel. They didn’t. They did it before it gets to the breaker. At least for my whole home backup.

I've seen them do both on pictures in r/TeslaSolar but it depends on the state / local codes. My house was built with a spare conduit from the attic to the Load Panel for future solar installations. The Site Surveyor said they wouldn't use it but this seems the easiest for the installers. Ideally, they'd punch through the roof somewhere, go down this conduit and have the Gateway / AC Disconnect inside the garage (or on the wall outside of it) next to the Powerwall and tap into the Main Panel like you said. This would be catty-corner to the Power Meter which CenterPoint technically allows:

1668969451844.png

The Tesla design only states the first part of "within 10 feet of CNP meter" though. Which again makes them run conduit all around the house if the PV Solar drop uses the pre-installed conduit to the Garage since that's where the Powerwall is.

Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
I guess it’s the home builder that decides.
My first house. The Breaker box was out side.
My water shut off valve was also outside.
My current home has a water shut off valve and breaker box. In my garage.

I never thought I would use the Heated Steering wheel feature on my MYP. I love it. I never thought a warm wheel would make me smile. 😆
Haha! I just got back from a drive and first time using the heated yoke. I didn’t even recognize the button though because it’s not the shape of a wheel on the screen which is what I was looking for.

Reactions: Jones1
I've seen them do both on pictures in r/TeslaSolar but it depends on the state / local codes. My house was built with a spare conduit from the attic to the Load Panel for future solar installations. The Site Surveyor said they wouldn't use it but this seems the easiest for the installers. Ideally, they'd punch through the roof somewhere, go down this conduit and have the Gateway / AC Disconnect inside the garage (or on the wall outside of it) next to the Powerwall and tap into the Main Panel like you said. This would be catty-corner to the Power Meter which CenterPoint technically allows:

View attachment 876511

The Tesla design only states the first part of "within 10 feet of CNP meter" though. Which again makes them run conduit all around the house if the PV Solar drop uses the pre-installed conduit to the Garage since that's where the Powerwall is.
My installers said they never know exactly how they are going to run things until they are at the home and get a better idea of what’s easiest. They were going to run conduit all the way around the back of my house until I told them I had conduit trenched under the front yard from the garage to the meter/breaker already for my car charger. So that changed the entire plan for my setup.

They are great with communication once they are there.

My installers said they never know exactly how they are going to run things until they are at the home and get a better idea of what’s easiest. They were going to run conduit all the way around the back of my house until I told them I had conduit trenched under the front yard from the garage to the meter/breaker already for my car charger. So that changed the entire plan for my setup.

They are great with communication once they are there.

Excellent, that's what I keep hearing and what I'm hoping for, I'll even throw in some breakfast tacos to sweeten the deal haha. My home's main entrance and the facade is on the North side. The South side is just a narrow alleyway, which is where I wouldn't mind running conduit if it's needed.

Option A
1668971244266.png

Option B
1668971275575.png

If they can't use the pre-installed conduit, then they would have a conduit drop on the outside wherever the Powerwall is located, which is also better on the South side.

Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou
Haha! I just got back from a drive and first time using the heated yoke. I didn’t even recognize the button though because it’s not the shape of a wheel on the screen which is what I was looking for.

The same happened to me on the Model 3! I'd never used the steering wheel heating and took me a bit to find the button. (Bottom of Climate Control screen). Had to go thru all the Controls tabs a couple of times first though.

Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou
You might keep in mind that in the event of an emergency such as a house fire, you may not be able to go inside to retrieve keys to quickly de-energize the house / system. (Speaking from experience)
Yikes! I didn’t even think about that. I should probably keep a extra key in my car. At least I could potentially summon the car out of the garage of the burning house to get the key.

You might keep in mind that in the event of an emergency such as a house fire, you may not be able to go inside to retrieve keys to quickly de-energize the house / system. (Speaking from experience)
I was thinking the main disconnect box (knife switch blade)and stop switch is what needs to be turned off. The main disconnect doesn’t let you lock it in the on position. Only in the LOTO position. I was concerned about someone pulling a prank. Turning my inverter or gateway off.

I’ve seen mine drop by one percent but never more than that. My car does the same thing. I have it to charge to 80% and it always seems to be at either 79% or 82% lol rarely exactly 80.
Ok.

Yes after the last few updates. I noticed my MYP charges 1% below or above. Almost every time I plug in.

Reactions: DrewHou
47 kW production yesterday. I’m glad I charged the Tesla yesterday. Today will be a bad production day. I’m only at 1.5 kw so far.
Yeah, so far this switching to free nights is working out well. Powerwalls sitting at 70% right now which is way more than enough to make it until 8pm. I also charged my car last night and that was 70kw of free power. I wonder how it will work out in the summer on a bad solar day and AC running 14 hours a day though.
If you want to change the name of your Solar /PW. Just touch the screen over the name. I had changed the name of my Tesla. But I forgot how I did it.

View attachment 876799
I didn’t know about changing the name of solar that is cool. The car I changed the name in the car itself and it reflected in the app. Not sure if you can change the name of the car in the app or if it must be done on the car.

Yeah, so far this switching to free nights is working out well. Powerwalls sitting at 70% right now which is way more than enough to make it until 8pm. I also charged my car last night and that was 70kw of free power. I wonder how it will work out in the summer on a bad solar day and AC running 14 hours a day though.

I didn’t know about changing the name of solar that is cool. The car I changed the name in the car itself and it reflected in the app. Not sure if you can change the name of the car in the app or if it must be done on the car.
I got to work early today. 5:25am. So I could Charge for free. Thank god. I’m saving the KWh’s used at my house. 😆 No Sun No Fun.

• Funny
Reactions: DrewHou