Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it is shingles not covered by panels that got damaged. Stuff under the panels never got touched but my understanding is that if more than a certain percentage needs fixing insurance does the whole roof as it is better for them to prevent future leak claims.

The panels themselves still give full production. There are spots all over them that are clean from hail hits but I did not see any damage. I did have them added to my insurance so they would be covered if there was any damage. From what I have seen, hail that would damage would have to be large enough to total any cars on the street.

At least now if anyone is like "solar is stupid, first hail storm will destroy them" I can let them know that any hail that destroys modern solar would have totaled the roof anyway.

Thanks for the info.
I did the same. I added my panels to my policy. It was way cheaper than I thought.

Thanks for the info.
I did the same. I added my panels to my policy. It was way cheaper than I thought.

@ChrisF42 and @Jones1 : Who is your homeowners insurance through? My broker couldn't find anybody that would insure the panels.

Also, Chris, can you share the name of your roofer? I had a quote for a replacement roof recently and the company said they wouldn't touch the solar panels; I would need somebody else, or Tesla, to remove/replace.

@ChrisF42 and @Jones1 : Who is your homeowners insurance through? My broker couldn't find anybody that would insure the panels.

Also, Chris, can you share the name of your roofer? I had a quote for a replacement roof recently and the company said they wouldn't touch the solar panels; I would need somebody else, or Tesla, to remove/replace.
Progressive Home Insurance.
ASI Loyd Backs the policy. Or writes. I could be saying it wrong.
My insurance agent and retail company is DHI - DR Horton Insurance.
They way it was explained to me. Is that you have to have an HOB policy. Then you tell them the value of your system. If you have an HO3 or lower policy. It will not cover The panels. HOB covers wind , Hail , Fire. HO3 is only Fire. For panels.

I have state farm and my agent had to do some back and forth with the underwriter since they don't have solar specific coverage but it got added.

Cloud 9 Roofing
Owner is in a local club I'm in and he has done roofs for several members and they all recommend him. I forget the specifics but I believe he works with a solar company to pull and put the panels back up. He said he would let me use tesla to pull and reinstall if I wanted but he would need them to sign off on some stuff to warranty against leaks since he was not happy with the damage they appeared to cause installing them the first time. I forget the terms but my understanding is he warranties against leaks, but if they touch it he wants them to match his warranty so that he is not on the hook for damage they cause.

Let him know Foos from Marsh referred you. Maybe he will cut me a deal on my roof and throw in some upgrades insurance won't cover if I send him enough business. lol

20230413_131337004_iOS.jpg

Progressive Home Insurance.
ASI Loyd Backs the policy. Or writes. I could be saying it wrong.
My insurance agent and retail company is DHI - DR Horton Insurance.
They way it was explained to me. Is that you have to have an HOB policy. Then you tell them the value of your system. If you have an HO3 or lower policy. It will not cover The panels. HOB covers wind , Hail , Fire. HO3 is only Fire. For panels.
Grand, thanks, I'm with Progressive! No options were given, just that Progressive don't cover solar panels at all... I think a follow up call is in order.

Reactions: Jones1
I have state farm and my agent had to do some back and forth with the underwriter since they don't have solar specific coverage but it got added.

Cloud 9 Roofing
Owner is in a local club I'm in and he has done roofs for several members and they all recommend him. I forget the specifics but I believe he works with a solar company to pull and put the panels back up. He said he would let me use tesla to pull and reinstall if I wanted but he would need them to sign off on some stuff to warranty against leaks since he was not happy with the damage they appeared to cause installing them the first time. I forget the terms but my understanding is he warranties against leaks, but if they touch it he wants them to match his warranty so that he is not on the hook for damage they cause.

Let him know Foos from Marsh referred you. Maybe he will cut me a deal on my roof and throw in some upgrades insurance won't cover if I send him enough business. lol
Pretty sure my broker tried State Farm as well... hmm. I have some good data to go back to him with now, thank you both.

Thanks for the roofing rec! Will be sure to mention you when we're ready to move forward.

Seems Tesla activated PTO Option to Export in the app automatically. Also, they said that I'd finally be able to start paying the loan yey. Interestingly, right now I'm exporting all to Grid and using the PW to power the home. Will have to monitor if this is normal behavior when "Charging from Grid" is enabled or if it's something else.

Seems Tesla activated PTO Option to Export in the app automatically. Also, they said that I'd finally be able to start paying the loan yey. Interestingly, right now I'm exporting all to Grid and using the PW to power the home. Will have to monitor if this is normal behavior when "Charging from Grid" is enabled or if it's something else.
If your PW is full are close to full. The panels will go to the PW at a very low rate. While sending most of the production to the Grid. It depends on how much your home is using at the time and the PW charge level.

If your PW is full are close to full. The panels will go to the PW at a very low rate. While sending most of the production to the Grid. It depends on how much your home is using at the time and the PW charge level.
They were at 90% and it’s been draining them since PTO was enabled. All solar went to grid after and just been using batteries since. Gonna give it a couple of days to see if it corrects its behavior. Maybe going to have to disable grid charging.

IMG_1854.jpeg
IMG_1855.jpeg

They were at 90% and it’s been draining them since PTO was enabled. All solar went to grid after and just been using batteries since. Gonna give it a couple of days to see if it corrects its behavior. Maybe going to have to disable grid charging.

View attachment 930357View attachment 930358
Well, I’ve seem to have been able to fix it. Since I have Nights Free plan, I set the minimum buy rate to 0.01 (since the app doesn’t allow 0). BUT, since my buy rate is 0.03, the app wouldn’t allow that either and I had it at 0.01. This meant that during the day “peak” sell rate was higher at 0.03… when I update off peak to buy/sell at 0.03 I immediately start using Solar again to power the home. Tesla needs to fix the app for us nights free users.

Well, I’ve seem to have been able to fix it. Since I have Nights Free plan, I set the minimum buy rate to 0.01 (since the app doesn’t allow 0). BUT, since my buy rate is 0.03, the app wouldn’t allow that either and I had it at 0.01. This meant that during the day “peak” sell rate was higher at 0.03… when I update off peak to buy/sell at 0.03 I immediately start using Solar again to power the home. Tesla needs to fix the app for us nights free users.
Tesla needs to fix the app for everyone. 😆 It’s not just the free night crew. I had to create a plan for Solar and Charging my EV. It should be Synced. It’s the same App. 😆

Tesla needs to fix the app for everyone. 😆 It’s not just the free night crew. I had to create a plan for Solar and Charging my EV. It should be Synced. It’s the same App. 😆
They definitely need to refine it for Night's Free. If it ever lets us set a 0 buy rate and 3c sell rate during the night, I can see the PW charging up and discharging constantly to sell the utility's power back to them lol