Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked him about outside install. He told me they have discovered. That the PW2 does better outside. He said the lack of airflow in the garage. Isn’t good for them. I told him I had added fans in my garage. For that reason. After I put temperature sensors in my Back house and garage. So he went took pictures of an outside location to install them. He said in 4-5 days. I’ll get informed on my design options.
They were pushing me to install on the outside but I thought with the extreme temp ranges and direct sun during the summer that it would be worse than the garage. What kind of fans did you add?

Reactions: Jones1
They were pushing me to install on the outside but I thought with the extreme temp ranges and direct sun during the summer that it would be worse than the garage. What kind of fans did you add?
I mounted two. I also added a radiant barrier insulation to my garage door. I got 10-15 degrees drop.
I believe I got the two for $100

Simple Deluxe 20 Inch 3-Speed High Velocity Heavy Duty Metal Industrial Floor Fan for Warehouse,Workshop, Factory and Basement, Black Amazon.com

SmartSHIELD -3mm 48"x50ft... Amazon.com

The thicker the better. I had some left over from my storage shed project.

Reactions: DTXMME
I mounted two. I also added a radiant barrier insulation to my garage door. I got 10-15 degrees drop.
I believe I got the two for $100

Simple Deluxe 20 Inch 3-Speed High Velocity Heavy Duty Metal Industrial Floor Fan for Warehouse,Workshop, Factory and Basement, Black Amazon.com

SmartSHIELD -3mm 48"x50ft... Amazon.com

The thicker the better. I had some left over from my storage shed project.
Ty for the links! Those are some big fans! Please Share some pics of the mounting and the radiant barrier. My garage door has some foam on the inside. Don’t know if that counts.

Ty for the links! Those are some big fans! Please Share some pics of the mounting and the radiant barrier. My garage door has some foam on the inside. Don’t know if that counts.
1701226438654.jpeg

1701226524200.png

No problem. Your Foam may work better than my radiant foam barrier. The thicker the mm the better. Doubling up layers in my shed. Dropped the temperature more.
The fans help with circulation and cooling for working in the garage. I run them at half speed. Unless I know I’m going to be in the garage for a longer project. Then I put them on high.

Reactions: DTXMME
PW carries a 10-year warranty, so there should be some time for warranty replacements after the last one is sold. I use Enphase microinverters for the Powerwalls. In the worst case, I can switch to Enphase battery (hopefully not; they are lower capacity and huge).
cbdream99, I'm in the same boat. I have an Enphase system with sun backup using IQ8A micro inverters. What will I need for two PWs? I want to start the process at the beginning of the year.

cbdream99, I'm in the same boat. I have an Enphase system with sun backup using IQ8A micro inverters. What will I need for two PWs? I want to start the process at the beginning of the year.
Yes, it works, Enphase's envoy will connect with the Tesla PW system, my installer (Good Faith, they are Tesla certified installer) put them all together. Good thing is I can see individual panel performance from the Enphase webapp, and the regular Tesla app also works. Here's a link about it.

Last edited:
New here, first post. Want to install a couple of PWs to use as backup power only. No solar. Just charge from the grid and provide whole house backup when the power goes out. There must be something wrong with this concept because I can’t find anyone doing that.
Aside from being expensive, what else is wrong with this idea?
Thought I'd give an update on this since everyone was so kind answering my questions.

I think I read this mode of operation was only allowed starting with the IRA on Jan 1st, 2023 (along with the tax credit) so maybe that's why it's hard to find other folks that use this configuration.

It's done.

IMG_0373.jpeg

I ended up cancelling the Tesla order and going with a third party installer. I'm in Spring so there was no permitting or inspections required, just the Centerpoint paperwork which got approved in hours after signing ........ well, I'm not really sure what I signed.

Date of Order: Sep 28th, PTO: Nov 16th.

I found out that I am the only customer they have that is using backup only, no solar.

I have two modes of use, Backup-Only, the reserve is set to 100% or TOU when the reserve is set lower. I am currently using a reserve of 80% which the app says allows TOU of 20%. However, my current electric plan is fixed rate so the TOU part is currently unused. In the New Year I'll be looking at changing my plan to see if I can charge for free at nights and run the batteries during the day. Not sure how it will work when my AC drains the batteries down pretty quick.

When I lowered the reserve from 100% to 80% the house ran off batteries for 11 hours while draining the 20%. I think that's pretty good, they should last almost a couple of days without AC if needed.

The batteries seem to top off maybe twice a day for about 5 mins each. That's about .7 kWh per day. I figure it costs me about $2 - $3 per month to have the security of the batteries to backup the power.

Thanks to all for the knowledge you have shared. I'll keep reading.

Thought I'd give an update on this since everyone was so kind answering my questions.

I think I read this mode of operation was only allowed starting with the IRA on Jan 1st, 2023 (along with the tax credit) so maybe that's why it's hard to find other folks that use this configuration.

It's done.

View attachment 995984

I ended up cancelling the Tesla order and going with a third party installer. I'm in Spring so there was no permitting or inspections required, just the Centerpoint paperwork which got approved in hours after signing ........ well, I'm not really sure what I signed.

Date of Order: Sep 28th, PTO: Nov 16th.

I found out that I am the only customer they have that is using backup only, no solar.

I have two modes of use, Backup-Only, the reserve is set to 100% or TOU when the reserve is set lower. I am currently using a reserve of 80% which the app says allows TOU of 20%. However, my current electric plan is fixed rate so the TOU part is currently unused. In the New Year I'll be looking at changing my plan to see if I can charge for free at nights and run the batteries during the day. Not sure how it will work when my AC drains the batteries down pretty quick.

When I lowered the reserve from 100% to 80% the house ran off batteries for 11 hours while draining the 20%. I think that's pretty good, they should last almost a couple of days without AC if needed.

The batteries seem to top off maybe twice a day for about 5 mins each. That's about .7 kWh per day. I figure it costs me about $2 - $3 per month to have the security of the batteries to backup the power.

Thanks to all for the knowledge you have shared. I'll keep reading.
Thanks for all the great info. I have spoken with people that are AntiSolar or AntiGreen. I tell them how they can just get the backup power. Provided by Tesla , Generac , Enphase and others. Then get a tax credit. People I work with. So I know how much they make and pay in taxes. Most of them refuse to listen. Until they have a power outage. Very soon they will regret it. Just like every other technology that has advanced over the years. One day is an unaffordable price. Then it makes no sense. Why not to get it.
Looks great.
It gives me an idea of how my PW’s Expansion project will look.
Is there a limit of how close the PW can be side by side?
They look so small with out the Tesla inverter on top.
I’m hoping to get them to put them in a 5-6ft area. That way I can keep more hangers on my garage wall. Away from the PW’s.

Welp. It’s official. PowerShare.
LFG!!!!

View attachment 995180
Too bad the range is so bad I wouldn’t even care to use this now. I already thought it was a stretch on something like my model S with over 400 miles range (really it only goes maybe 270 on a charge) Range was my biggest motivation towards a cybertruck so now I’m debating canceling my reservation. Maybe next version will be more aligned with what I want haha. I could make it work but with my driving style this doesn’t make a lot of sense for me. Maybe I could swing it if I bought a Y and a CT haha but Tesla already took enough money from me. Plus I don’t have the space for a S, 3, Y, and CT or the need hahaha