Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Houston here so CenterPoint.
Some of those free night (Reliant) does not have solar buy back. And I need both to get a negative bill.

Yeah only the Just Energy Group Inc. companies offer that in conjunction with a fully free night structure. I got around that inconvenience by mining bitcoin with my excess instead. My effective payback is approx $.25 per kWh instead of $.03 solar buyback.

Reactions: DrewHou
Where did you get that estimate?
I see Tesla Electric ads on my app but all they have is a Join button. I couldn't find any estimate on what my bills will be like your screenshot.

Yes, I have discussed this with my wife the past few months that these REP (retail energy provider) will wise up and find way to get rid of free night plan with solar buy back.
I think with a high usage customers like myself, free night is the only plan.
I threatened Amigo that I will file a PUCT complaint since they cancelled my night free without any notice and put me on their most expensive plan. Whatever BS reason they came up with to cancel my plan, they must notify me in writing.
I have not received billings for the past 2 months and then bam, 2 bills come into email in 2 days, one more expensive than the other.
You can click the link and then scroll down on the next page

Reactions: DrewHou
I don't have that. Click Continue on the main page, then Accept and Continue where it shows start date, labels, etc. Click on that will ask me to add a payment method. I don't want to go further in case i accidentally change my plan.
Hmm, I clicked on the join button then on the next page (don't press the continue ) but just scroll down

1000004461.jpg

Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou
Strange! Mine is the same screen right between the sustainable energy and the customer rights. I wonder what determines when this shows. Mine updated once a month all year until recently and it stopped after showing my preview for September. Wonder if they have put this on the back burner.
Did you have the Tesla Electric options for a long time? I had mine recently shown up so maybe it takes time to calculate?

Yeah only the Just Energy Group Inc. companies offer that in conjunction with a fully free night structure. I got around that inconvenience by mining bitcoin with my excess instead. My effective payback is approx $.25 per kWh instead of $.03 solar buyback.
Can you DM me your mining gig? Curious to learn about the set up, cost and payback calculation.
Thanks

Can you DM me your mining gig? Curious to learn about the set up, cost and payback calculation.
Thanks

I’ll give some general, public detail here since it might be helpful to others, and I’ll DM you the details. Caveat on all of this, I’m somewhat skeptical regarding the long term proposition of crypto and am not an expert so take my descriptions with a grain of salt.

I was looking for a better way to monetize my excess daytime solar power so I bought a crypto mining appliance (Antminer in my case). You can “mine” lots of different things but I chose an appliance specifically for Bitcoin (SHA256) because I didn’t know what I was doing. I tried to pick a model that had a power consumption similar to my excess generation when factoring in free nights. So during the day, my solar + Powerwalls fully power the miner, and during the free period it’s powered with the grid while the Powerwalls recharge.

I kind of bought at peak pricing a couple of years ago and my payback was about 18 months. It appears to be something like a 3rd of that were I to do it again today. I started out making about $25 per day but, due to the increase in hash difficulty etc, it’s now down to maybe $12 per day. I don’t have perfect uptime; I have the miner automated to idle if the Powerwalls hit their reserve limit. So in all maybe I have grossed $10k or so, and a few thousand in actual profit over the initial capital outlay for the miner. So compare that few thousand against what one might have otherwise earned by selling wholesale to the grid.

Anyone else noticed on the latest version of the Tesla app (iOS) occasionally there is an animation of the house image with solar zooming inward when you open the app? Almost like the house is being slammed down into place (horrible job explaining this) 😂. Either way if they want to get fancy with animations I would much prefer a way to close my virtual garage door when my cars not plugged in haha.

Anyone else noticed on the latest version of the Tesla app (iOS) occasionally there is an animation of the house image with solar zooming inward when you open the app? Almost like the house is being slammed down into place (horrible job explaining this) 😂. Either way if they want to get fancy with animations I would much prefer a way to close my virtual garage door when my cars not plugged in haha.
For the next week, I’m having to use a very slow WiFi connection and the animation is extremely slow and doesn’t give me as good a view of my house as before. Parts of the numbers are cut off, so I cannot tell how many kWs are going to the grid and house. I’m hoping they fix it soon.

Strange! Mine is the same screen right between the sustainable energy and the customer rights. I wonder what determines when this shows. Mine updated once a month all year until recently and it stopped after showing my preview for September. Wonder if they have put this on the back burner.
I don't see this either. I click 'Join' but there are no details. I get the same screen as @EL0NTRK . I have more than a year of solar data in my account.