Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve disabled storm watch and set reserve to 0%. For these types of thunderstorms that blow by we usually have short outages, and it won’t charge fast enough from the alert going on to make a difference. Not much to fear inside the loop vs our suburbanite buddies.
I’m thinking Storm watch should have a percentage to it.
Example. I’m feeling lucky. Trigger storm watch when it’s a 50-100% chance of storm.
Where you can adjust to your liking.

Reactions: DrewHou
I think storm watch is only activated if the NWS issues an alert that covers your install area and it is for a type of storm that commonly causes outages. I have noticed that we can have a high chance of sever t-storms all day with no storm watch, but as soon as the warning is issued storm watch will activate. Unfortunately a lot of the storms we get here seem to be pop-up ones so we get like 30 min of charging on storm watch before the storm hits. Maybe Hurricanes will be different.

Reactions: Jones1
So maybe someone can explain this to me. Tesla said they can not wall mount powerwalls on my brick because the whole home is not fully brick. However behind that brick is the same studs in the garage that my existing powerwalls are attached to. Why would brick be less secure than drywall?

Either way they have officially cancelled my expansion order now. Since the only option they gave me was putting them in the yard 10 feet from the house. The advisor also told me that the city of Houston has the most strict rules on powerwalls in the state with their newest codes.

So maybe someone can explain this to me. Tesla said they can not wall mount powerwalls on my brick because the whole home is not fully brick. However behind that brick is the same studs in the garage that my existing powerwalls are attached to. Why would brick be less secure than drywall?

Either way they have officially cancelled my expansion order now. Since the only option they gave me was putting them in the yard 10 feet from the house. The advisor also told me that the city of Houston has the most strict rules on powerwalls in the state with their newest codes.
Crazy. They told me they could mount mine on brick or stucko. Crazy what a 3 mile difference of County location will do.

Crazy. They told me they could mount mine on brick or stucko. Crazy what a 3 mile difference of County location will do.
Yeah they were like we can accommodate that spot but since your brick is not fully brick it won’t support the weight of the powerwalls. I’m like hmm but couldn’t the screws or whatever go through the brick and into the wood studs? Maybe I am missing something though. I am almost tempted to find a local installer and have them come out and see if they say the same thing.

It’s because for most homes down here, the brick is just a veneer. There is not much structural strength. The problem is there is also probably an air gap between the brick and the studs so that they can’t actually just secure through the bricks than to the stud.

Have you considered other installers instead of Tesla to give you some options on powerwall? If you are interested I can introduce you to the guy that did my solar and powerwall. He will give you a straight up answer. He is an old friend of mine and won’t bullshit you or pressure you.

Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
It’s because for most homes down here, the brick is just a veneer. There is not much structural strength. The problem is there is also probably an air gap between the brick and the studs so that they can’t actually just secure through the bricks than to the stud.
That makes perfect sense. I figured there was something I wasn’t fully understanding. So if there is an air gap it would pull the brick layer inward and potentially collapse when they tighten it down. I don’t understand why the city forbids garage installs now. Just seems silly for no reason. What is the difference between that and me parking and charging two cars with roughly 150kWh worth of batteries 🤣

That makes perfect sense. I figured there was something I wasn’t fully understanding. So if there is an air gap it would pull the brick layer inward and potentially collapse when they tighten it down. I don’t understand why the city forbids garage installs now. Just seems silly for no reason. What is the difference between that and me parking and charging two cars with roughly 150kWh worth of batteries 🤣
Wow really Houston went and banned garage installs? Glad I got mine done when I did but looks like I won’t ever be able to add another PW. Damn things are easy enough to install might just do it on my own eventually.

My house is full brick on the first level. The second level is about 1/3 brick and stucco siding.
Yep mine is pretty much the same except throw in limestone to the mix for my upstairs and downstairs. The house is basically made out of everything haha. My thought is maybe building an outdoor kitchen someday and having them attach the powerwalls to the back wall of that. That won’t be anytime soon though because interest rates are stupid.

Had a weird thing happen this morning at 1AM. I was woking up because I heard my UPS beep. I thought the power went out, but it didn't make sense because I was already on battery. It was a short period, probably 1-2 seconds, long enough for Alexa to power off and back on (LOL). Normally if already on battery and grid drops, I don't really notice anything. Doing some investigation this morning, it seems to tie into when the firmware updated. I don't think I've ever noticed a brief load drop like this when the firmware updated on the Powerwalls. Just curious if anyone else has experience it.

Notice in the image below, there's a the battery % dropped off at 1AM and lasted about 5minutes. In the past, tihs happens if I turn off the powerwalls. and the time seems to line up with when the powerwall last cycled on.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 11.21.47 AM.png

Had a weird thing happen this morning at 1AM. I was woking up because I heard my UPS beep. I thought the power went out, but it didn't make sense because I was already on battery. It was a short period, probably 1-2 seconds, long enough for Alexa to power off and back on (LOL). Normally if already on battery and grid drops, I don't really notice anything. Doing some investigation this morning, it seems to tie into when the firmware updated. I don't think I've ever noticed a brief load drop like this when the firmware updated on the Powerwalls. Just curious if anyone else has experience it.

Notice in the image below, there's a the battery % dropped off at 1AM and lasted about 5minutes. In the past, tihs happens if I turn off the powerwalls. and the time seems to line up with when the powerwall last cycled on.

View attachment 1029980
I believe we posted something similar to this. Further back in the thread. Some time last year.
I understand we do not have a UPS like the PW3.
Tesla will tell you that even when you are on PW. If the grid goes down. Even if you don’t get a notice from the app. You will notice the lights flicker. I have a UPS is in my back house and in my upstairs closet. I have never noticed them. Due to proximity. But I have had smart lights lose connection.
I had it happen a few times.

Yeah, I don't expect a UPS experience for sure. It was just the first time I've had a firmware update drop the load. Eh, nothing's perfect, so not real worried, just interesting. I will say at like 1 in the morning, I had random thoughts like "oh man, did the batteries break?"

• Funny
Yeah I haven’t had that happen from a firmware update but when the grid goes down my house house drops power before the powerwalls kick in. Doesn’t matter if I was already on the powerwall or not. Which is frustrating because my oven clock has to be reset haha.