Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question, how are people getting solar set ups that are different then whats offered on the website? I see talk of people adding two panels, and people talking about different sized Tesla systems, but I am in the middle of the process, and at no point has there been any discussion of varying from the 4 sizes on the website. I look forward to your thoughts! Thanks!

Typically you need to request it during the design phase. The only time tesla will vary from the standard sizes on their own is if you order a size that can’t fit on your roof, so they may reduce the size by a few panels to get it to fit.

Depending on how far along you are in the process it may be difficult to make changes now, if permits have already been applied for and such.

YMMV, but I was told that if you're buying or financing (i.e not renting) you can do virtually any size or number of panels.

You would order whatever you think is the closest thing to what you need and then work with your advisor to get the design team to draw it up.

YMMV, but I was told that if you're buying or financing (i.e not renting) you can do virtually any size or number of panels.

You would order whatever you think is the closest thing to what you need and then work with your advisor to get the design team to draw it up.
That has not even been close to my experience. Source for this?

That has not even been close to my experience. Source for this?

The source is myself... I just completed an install last month. During the planning phase I was considering adding a few extra panels over the 24 panels (medium system) I initially ordered. They said that I could do this as long as I was paying cash or financing. I didn't end up doing it because they were north facing and the numbers didn't work out. This was around June of this year when I was in the planning phase. I am pretty sure I've seen some custom sizes in the "Post your layout" thread as well but it's such a beast now I don't have time to comb through it.

Typically you need to request it during the design phase. The only time tesla will vary from the standard sizes on their own is if you order a size that can’t fit on your roof, so they may reduce the size by a few panels to get it to fit.

Depending on how far along you are in the process it may be difficult to make changes now, if permits have already been applied for and such.
From what I've heard, this is the case. The transition from super expensive one-to-one sales into today's simplified online offerings has been rocky, but there are some good workarounds while they fine tune the process.

I've been telling people to "order" the size above what's recommended, then let Tesla downsize it to the max custom size that will fit your roof. The one MAJOR caveat is to make sure they don't try to pack your north facing roof with panels or make some other illogical move just to make it work on paper. Feel free to post your array design from Tesla here and someone will be happy to critique to work of Tesla's design people(AKA, some barely trained kid in a home office).

The good thing is that the proper engineers seem to have the final say before install. They will likely correct any issues that slipped through from the mediocre front line service people.