Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla speeding at 128mph in a 45mph zone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read about this on Inside EVs earlier today. Here's the link for more info.

Tesla Runs Red Light At 128 MPH, Smashes Into Infiniti SUV: Video

I will say that while I'm not a fan of the tabloid nature of Daily Mail, they many times do have good news coverage and frequently better photos. While they did mention it was a Tesla involved, they didn't follow up much on that aspect kind of surprisingly. And as we all know once "Tesla" is mentioned in an accident reporters jump to Autopilot as a cause, so the Inside EVs story fills in there on some of the info plus a tweet from Elon.

I can't believe the guy's attorney is trying to sell this as just an accident and that driving at that speed isn't a criminal offense. I hope the driver gets locked up for a long time. I feel so badly for the Lyft driver and his passengers. Have to wonder given the traumatic brain injuries they suffered if they don't end up with CTE down the road.

On a Tesla note the Inside EVs article does mention that despite hitting the SUV at some 93mph (assumption is speed was reduced to that by the Automatic Emergency Braking from 128mph shooting through the red light), that the Tesla driver and apparently his passenger weren't injured.

BTW the Inside EVs article has a linked to video news report from CBS Miami with an interview of the SUV driver after he finally was released from the hospital.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
There are 100's of thousands of Teslas on the roads today. By simple probability there will be some morons driving them. After the civil litigation is done, he probably won't be able to afford another Tesla, after paying compensation to the the 3 people he injured. His laywer saying there is nothing criminal about driving at 3x the speed limit, running a red light, and injuring 3 people is another moron.

From Daily Mail: "His lawyer says it was an accident because Soto hadn't been drinking or consuming any controlled substances"

Because those are the only things that could possibly cause such a crash. There's no such thing as criminally reckless driving, reckless disregard for human life, or being a total jerk. No reason that such crimes would be enshrined in law. Nope -- not in that lawyer's experience!

Sheesh. I join the chorus that he should a) go to jail and b) be at the short end of a massive lawsuit.

I could be on board with “not reckless” if 128 MPH was:
1. Not at night
2. On a controlled highway (Interstate, Autobahn, etc.)

But on city streets with traffic lights, pedestrians, cross traffic and other hazards? Reckless as all hell. Even police with their training won’t do these speeds on city streets. The risk to the public is far too great.

Disclaimer: I have reached 167 MPH on a public highway (not in a Tesla) once, more than a decade ago. Early on a Sunday morning in the summer. Zero traffic, excellent weather/visibility. In MT.

My Tesla is one of the slow ones, it maxes at 126 (70 MPH limit on that road.) Solid as a rock at that speed.

In my life I've been a guy in an SUV and a guy in a Model S. I feel real sorry for that SUV driver that he had to come across such a reckless, irresponsible idiot like the Model S driver. Obviously shouldn't be behind a wheel ever again.
It also makes me glad that my family and me are in a Model S now, rather than an SUV. The Model S handled the crash amazingly well.

I'm curious about the injuries sustained (there must be some) by the reckless driver. None of the articles I've seen mention any, but it seems unlikely anyone could hit another car at nearly 100 MPH, even in a Tesla, without being at least seriously injured themselves.
The video looks like the Tesla came off very well, stayed planted and bounced the SUV like a ping pong ball.
Probably deceiving though, it must have been pretty wild in the Tesla too.