Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger Golden Spike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not even Maine to Pittsburgh, until a Maryland SC comes on.

And the way things are going in AZ it looks like the first route from Maine to Texas could be a bit circuitous. 7 chargers to connect via NM and OK, 6 via Louisiana.

EDIT: Oh, and as you write that, someone posted that Hagerstown has just gone live on the Tesla map

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud - would a Supercharger station fit in the otherwise mostly wasted space of cloverleaf interstate exits?

How about adding an exercise room with the treadmills etc connected to generators?

Perhaps the Tesla marketing guys should make something like merit badges available, stickers that you can put on the back of the car and that say "TransAmerica" or "Coast to Coast" or "USA four corners" for people who have made those drives, verified by enabled onboard datalogging. It would cost next to nothing, very few people would actually attempt to make those trips to get the stickers but I'd bet it would stir up considerable media interest and general internet buzz.

There ya go Maine to Pittsburgh!!
The long way though. To do this right you need something like Carlisle, Pa to catch east west using I 78 and 80 to connect with I 81. It is even hard to make Somerset from the east without ideal conditions. Such a site would save detouring many miles on the NYC and north to Pittsburgh run, which to be comfortable now requires a southern detour to Hagerstown or The King of Prussia store(for a HPWC)

I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but at the event tonight I asked one of the supercharger team members whether they were going to do a golden spike, he said they weren't going to paint anything gold but that the supercharger near Moab, which they apparently turned on last so it could be the "last" charger, has a plaque commemorating it being the "last" charger activated on the trans-continental route. The reason this one was chosen is because it's closest to the location of the actual railroad golden spike.

Hopefully we'll get a picture of it, or some sort of recreation of the golden spike photo, by the supercharger team driving across country as we speak. There's apparently like 15 people involved including chase cars and whatnot, so might be enough to make it look somewhat populated :)

I did not make the suggestion of the golden spike photo to anyone at the event though, so if anyone has a line on any of them, perhaps you could mention it if they're not already planning on it? Of course, they would need to receive this message in the next 10 hours or so...

Hagerstown MD will also be a welcome add: it's 241 miles from Somerset PA to Newark DE

Yes, if you take the low road and go through Hagerstown (which also requires circumnavigating Baltimore). If you take the northern route past Harrisburg it's 238 miles (no material difference) If you leave the interstate and go through Lancaster it is 217 miles and less time (if you believe Google Maps). You are on 2 lane primaries with lights for some part of the way but it is mostly 4-lane divided highway. I haven't done it so I can't say whether it's more efficient.